etiquette and consideration

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy

etiquette and consideration

Post by SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy »

So...

2 things.

First someone hawked a big luggee on my kite last Friday at Dallas. WTF. At least if you did make the mistake of doing this, take some responsibility and wash it off, please and thank-you.

Second, someone (not me but a friend) was threatened with violence Friday at Dallas. I'm here to ask that we all adhere to the right of way rules, and if we don't that we're respectful about speaking to one another. If I do make a mistake I would like to know about it, in a way other than that which threatens to do me bodily harm. If that's the kind of place our beaches are turning into I know I for one am going to be less inclined to come on down for the wind.

On another unrelated non-beach note, while travelling to parksville yesterday, a young man in a volvo s70 apparently thought I had hung out in the left lane for a few seconds too long, proceeded to fly around me on the right, and came within an inch or two of clipping my front bumper as he pulled back into the left lane, giving me the middle finger. WTF. It was an early 2000s s70 red, licence plate starting with 906. If you see him do feel free to hawk a big luggee, but I would avoid threats violence, as he seemed pretty pissed off in general and easily upsettable. In all seriousness this was the scariest thing I have ever experienced on paved roads...it was really close and I'd just like to say WTF...I was on my way to kite it's not like I was under the limit in any way...Word to the wise boys and girls.
Kevin

If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy. Be content with what you have take joy in the way things are. When you realize you have all you need, the World belongs to you.
jhans

Post by jhans »

Seems the on the water aggression is growing as places get more and more crowded. Have had some close encounters kiting goose spit as of recent. Good reminder to new kiters (1-2 years) to make sure they understand the right of way, transition space and common etiquette while on the water. If not, find that easy to approach person on the beach who seems to know what they are doing and ask them to explain.
Also a good reminder to experienced riders, that we were all there at one point in time. Take the few minutes to kindly educate so everyone is on the same page.
It relates to driving on the road as well. There are always going to be jerks on the road that feel above it all...only thing you can do is lead by example and drive with your head up(defensively). Assume the unfamiliar face on the water doesn't know what he's doing before you assume he does.

Anyone have a good coles notes on kiting etiquette to post as a reminder coming into the storm season?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

jhans wrote:There are always going to be jerks on the road that feel above it all...only thing you can do is lead by example and drive with your head up(defensively)
well, I for one am with volvo dood (his impatience only mind you) if you had your "head up" :lol: and were merrily lounging in the left lane.....which is for passing BTW for those who are unclear....and there appear to be a lot :idea: if you ARE passing, well, perhaps a I'd give you a few secs....must be a cultural autobahn thing with me tho....or maybe a Vancouver driving back in the 80's thing :twisted:

Good we don't allow your average non-criminal to have guns in Canada :!: or ya mighta gotten some buckshot into the trunk.
I like the way you spell luggee, I had never really thought about that :wink: this site is so entertaining and educational at the same time :D
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
rookieRyan

Post by rookieRyan »

Atleast most people follow or know the rules back home.No one gives a shit here in Melbourne. :evil:
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

Yup, I guess it is difficult kiting "Down Under".
The sun is in the "wrong" hemisphere and
how do you keep from falling off the earth?
I lived in NZ for 4 years and never really got used to it.
rookieRyan

Post by rookieRyan »

Yep it whole different world down under not as friendly thats for sure.Take care guys see ya next season. 8)
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Kevin, unfortunately there are crazy, heartless people out there :(
Vik

Post by Vik »

Kevin you've just run into an inescapable mathematical fact - half the people around you are below average... :evil:
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

KUS wrote: I like the way you spell luggee, I had never really thought about that :wink: this site is so entertaining and educational at the same time :D
Just one "g" in lugee. That's all I've got. Oh, and as our forefathers Bill and Ted would say: "Be excellent to eachother".
Poultry in motion
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
blackdogvan

Post by blackdogvan »

Loogy?
smartang

Post by smartang »

That would be a hilarious fight. Two guys with numb hands and feet, totally exhausted from riding and wearing 6mm of rubber, impact vests, helmets and gloves. Throw in a couple of mouth guards and I think we've got a pretty safe way to solve disputes. Oh and they really have to pee.

So many dangerous drivers out there. I drive like a granny now, but I and all of my friends were ridiculous drivers for the first few years (and this was in the MTL where driving is nuts already). We were waaay worse than the volvo kid. Anybody who's crazy enough to kiteboard in the winter here definitely had his amateur rally car days. And there's nothing worse than a hypocrite in my opinion. So hopefully this young man will have a wake up call and mature soon, and nobody will get hurt in the process. This goes for crazy kiters too.

Seriously though, no cruising in the passing lane ;)

RR: Is there a high level of wakestyle where you are? Because in pkra level training zones the pipeline type surfing rules apply. The best kiter throws whenever he wants (and it is respected), the rest of the guys will go based on the level that they have earned in the pack, and if you don't meet those criteria, then you better be tough (the other right hand rule). None of us kite at that level on the island, so we're exempt from this.

Oh, nice the wind's coming up...
SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy

Post by SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy »

Hey all thanks for the comments,

The kiter in question I believe was actually hucking big moves, and the comments were directed against him.

I appreicate the spellling as it's nvr beeen a strong sooot of mine........lol.

Seriously though I wanna say that I don't think it's ok for one person to threaten violence or attack another on the beach. You can joke about it all you want but it's not the kind of place I wanna go play, or that I would want my kids to come and kiteboard at, so I'd just as soon be the one to stick my neck out and say something about it.

And, just for the record I drove in Mtl for four years, and Africa for a few too and never saw anything as scary or dangerous as what i experienced...and i was doing 10km over hte limit in the left hand lane btw and had just passed someone.

Dangerous and violent behaviour is hypermasculinity. We can as a community do much better.

Kevin
Kevin

If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy. Be content with what you have take joy in the way things are. When you realize you have all you need, the World belongs to you.
steve-0

Post by steve-0 »

Thanks for speaking up Kevin. I really appreciate your courage in calling out inappropriate masculinity.
I've had a long talk with myself and a few others regarding the situation I found myself in last friday. I'm taking responsibility for riding, jumping, air transitioning too close to others and I want to make sure that wont be an issue with my sessions from now on how ever safe I felt it may have been in the moment. I've also rechecked the right of way rules. I understand people can get pissed off if someone is endangering safety but being threatened is NOT OK and counter productive to what is needed in most cases. I would have been way more receptive to a beach conversation without verbal abuse even if that person was upset.
The kitesurfing community is largely a supportive, respectful, encouraging, and passoinate group from my experience in BC and Asia. We're all responsible to create that way or we end up with 80's style surf turf wars and feeling separated and alienated.
I'm letting go of the event without blame. If theres any revisiting needed I'm available for a respectful conversation.
Stephen
AC

lol

Post by AC »

lol To funny
Last edited by AC on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.