Wind Sock

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
abetanzo

Wind Sock

Post by abetanzo »

After having to swim in at Cook St during the crazy cloud that shut everything down Sunday I'm wondering if anyone would like to see a wind sock installed near Finlayson Point? or Klover?
The Beacon Hill Flag is really the only indicator out there... Wind socks can tell you visually how windy it is too... and having a few around can really help understand how the wind is changing!
I'm sure the Vic Harbour Authority or the City of Vic should have some funds for this... ya right! but it doesn't hurt to ask or try to establish the interest for this navigational asset!

maybe we could just install a new Canadian flag on the hut!!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Wind Sock

Post by KUS »

abetanzo wrote:Beacon Hill Flag is really the only indicator out there..
you could always take a clue when your kite is not pulling you as hard anymore and there is glass upwind :wink:
The shut-downs I have experienced at Kook come so fast no windsock is gonna warn you sufficiently....just be glad it didn't turn 15kn offshore NE like it did on me once :lol:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

A sock would be nice and I fully support having one but KUS does have a good point. On two occasion I have been powered on an 8m off Clover Point and had it completely shut off and kites fell out of the sky before we could get back to shore. Luckily both times the whale watchers were not far away and gave us a ride to shore while the others closer in were back stroking laying on inflated kites :roll:
Cj

Post by Cj »

Everyone needs a good swim once in awhile. I don't feel the flag helps much in the holes and gusts of cook st.
somebody said " go fly a kite".