Oregon Coast BWD Wavesailing Camp 2013

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I am still heading down Saturday or Sunday to be in Gold Beach for Monday evening to check into the SUP contest (although I might delay that until Tuesday if I find epicness elsewhere). Might hit the Gorge Sat/Sun.

My prediction are a windless Monday and Tuesday, then things start to improve Wednesday which is still plenty of time for the contest. Lot's of stuff to do down there if you have a SUP, decent breaks in town, great breaks in Northern Oregon, and just south of Gold Beach in Brookings.

The swell forecast isn't great, but it's more what I'm used to out Tofino way and I was concerned it might be big and scary for the surf comp which wouldn't be cool.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

things look to improve for 5 days by next Thurs/Friday
What forecast do you use Markus? Nanmoo I'm going to wait until Tuesday and leave then so I can stay over the next weekend and see the end of the Comp and catch those 5 days Kus is talking about.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Look at this: http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.i ... ast+Graphs or any of the other sites. The predictions alone don't mean much but if you tie all the information available to you together, you get a decent idea of the predominant weather pattern for the next week. You can see the wind dies after Friday, and then appears to start again from the North on Wednesday. Couple this to the generic forecasts for the coast from here south to N. Cal all calling for high pressure to build from the south pushing onshore mid next week and you have a reliable expectation of wind returning either Wed or Thurs next week. How long it lasts is a crap shoot at best this early, and impossible to really predict.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

nanmoo wrote:Look at this: http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.i ... ast+Graphs or any of the other sites. The predictions alone don't mean much but if you tie all the information available to you together, you get a decent idea ....... How long it lasts is a crap shoot at best this early...
Yep :wink: my money is on Fri-Mon+
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

Thanks guys, see you down there next week.
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

So who is going to be my I-5 buddy next Friday evening? Not BWD....geesh! Doc when are you rolling?

Edit: I see you are leaving the 23rd.
Give'R
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

TheLaw wrote:So who is going to be my I-5 buddy next Friday evening? Not BWD....geesh! Doc when are you rolling?

Edit: I see you are leaving the 23rd.
Yep at dawn I RIDE!
Poultry in motion
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Forecast sucks. Probably have to head towards the Gorge pretty soon.

What is everyone going to do? Delay or hit the Gorge?
Windsurfish

Can't be there

Post by Windsurfish »

Hope you get some wind in the Gorge. I can't be there for a few weeks. I guess I got lucky on my trip a little while ago. Will they delay the contest for better wind?
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

Don't think I'll be in a mad rush Friday night to get down there. Looks like the swell starts to big a bit on Monday and stays around for the rest of the magic seaweed forecast. Maybe head to the gorge for a Saturday afternoon and Sunday session then check out things for the coast.

It really doesn't look like much reason to be on the coast until at least the waves return early next week.

I can't really delay my time from this up coming week.

Is there even going to be wind in the gorge this weekend? I don't even know where to look anymore.
Give'R
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

I'm finding it tough to get a good read on the Gorge too. All the good free forecasting has disappeared. Please please please coast don't skunk us!! May have to hang in Portland Sunday, drink some nice microbrews, coffee, and practice my hipsterese.
Poultry in motion
KC7777

Gorge weather

Post by KC7777 »

I haven't sailed for 10 months....but I feel for you guys.

Gorge looks kind of rainy for a week....some wind? I was just checking magicseaweed....1 - 2 ft waves until Sunday at Wesport. Frickin weather. I am stressed just for moo and I am not even sure if I like him (just kidding nanmoo). Weather forecast for the Columbia River Gorge looks non-summerish. I have never seen so much use of the word "cloudy"

That is why they invented IPAs I guess.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=ORZ009

Wednesday: Occasional rain. Highs 60 to 65. West wind 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 90 percent. Rainfall amounts a tenth to a quarter of an inch.

Wednesday Night: Cloudy. Rain likely in the evening...then a chance of rain after midnight. Lows 50 to 55. West wind 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent. Rainfall amounts around a tenth of an inch.

Thursday: Mostly cloudy. Showers likely west half...and a chance of showers east half. Highs 60 to 65. West wind 5 to 15 mph. Gusts to 30 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Thursday Night: Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers. Lows 50 to 55. West wind 10 to 15 mph with gusts to 30 mph becoming light after midnight. Chance of precipitation 50 percent.

Friday: Mostly cloudy. Chance of showers in the morning...then a slight chance of showers in the afternoon. Highs around 70. Chance of precipitation 40 percent.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy. Lows 50 to 55.

Saturday: Partly cloudy. Highs 75 to 80.

Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy west half...and partly cloudy east half. Lows around 55.

Sunday: Mostly cloudy. Chance of rain west half...and a slight chance of rain east half. Highs 70 to 75. Chance of rain 40 percent.

Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain. Lows around 55. Chance of rain 50 percent.

Monday: Rain likely west half...and a chance of rain east half. Highs around 70. Chance of rain 60 percent.

Monday Night: Rain likely west half...and a chance of rain east half. Lows around 55. Chance of rain 60 percent.

Tuesday: Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain. Highs around 70. Chance of rain 50 percent.
Last edited by KC7777 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I check www.thegorgeismygym.com for a good forecast.

If there is no wind anywhere, the waves should still be fun. Seaside and the cove are only 2 hours from hood river and it is a stupid fun spot. Lots of free camping spots.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Hmmpf...wished you guys luck....had a feeling as I hit the coast when I did, this sucks and ain't good for the sport to kill the event like that.....hope things still change a bit for Sat and Sunday. :? That Friday onward WX sure evaporated, maybe it will magically reappear :roll:

Gorge I check
http://www.wind-speed.net/cgi-shl/09-wi ... orecast.pl
and it's been pretty darn good

Hope things improve and 2ft swell in Gold Beach (esp S) can turn into some pretty big fun stuff :idea:
Last edited by KUS on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
terrapin

Post by terrapin »

keep your heads up and stay positive...the forecast isn't always right...right?