To windsurf or kite?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
jazzydoc

Post by jazzydoc »

Check out this you tube vid "jet surf extreme powerboard
ByExtremcentrum" (you'll have to google it)for those no wind days. Gotta say that after 30 years of windsurfing starting 1978 that agree that your locale picks the sport. In Lantzville the summer winds are light and there is always a little eelgrass and therefore kiting is a natural. If you have the time you can progress to waves on a windsurfer. If you don't have the time and you want to enjoy some wave riding then kiting will get you there much much faster. Still, there is nothing in kiting like the high speed slapping across the water when one is dialed into your windsurfer.
Kiting makes me handsome
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

To me there are only a few differences:

Windsurfers primarily use the transition to jump, no transitions (waves), no real jumps. Kiters can loft the kite and still jump however.

Kiters can land jumps sideways and schooch out fine, windsurfers crash.

Windsurfing is going to be more direct because your attachment is more direct. That equals more crashing, but you also feel the wind more directly.

You can actually go completely upside down windsurfing and crash.

Ok, but one benefit is launching and landing you can do entirely by yourself without sketching, no buddies and less area required, AND if your shit breaks down while you are a ways out your are more likely to make it back to the beach with all the pieces in your $3000 kit.

Oh and the kiters seem to forget their stuff on the beach more often. Not sure if this is related, but you rarely hear of windsurfers doing it. Maybe smaller pieces, easier to forget?
Don't forget to bring a towel!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Holy crap that Fiji video is insane!

I can't believe how pitted Jason gets, I also can't believe the kiter is just straight lining it? Surely he could have gotten some turns in?
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

nanmoo wrote:Holy crap that Fiji video is insane!

I can't believe how pitted Jason gets, I also can't believe the kiter is just straight lining it? Surely he could have gotten some turns in?
yeah, the windsurfer makes it look good. The kiter is ben wilson, one of best wave kiters in the world, and he rips. So I suspect it is something about the wind direction and the wrap of the wave, and also that he's backside.

re: forgetting stuff on the beach....will give you that one. Seems like there's a dozen things to keep track of with kiting....and a few keep disappearing on route.

Anyways, kite, windsurf, it's all good....like that Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers comic book take off with the skier, snowboarder, and telemarker....all ripping the powder in their own awesome way. Shred on guys and gals.
windaddiction

Post by windaddiction »

Wow lots of good points here..... I think for right now windsurfing is the onyl thing in the cards.... i can't afford lesson, not that they are overpriced, but just don't have the moeny for that and gear. So looks liek I'll try and pick up maybe a 100 ish liter free ride board and do what I know..... I would still like to try a trainer kite if anyone has one and wants to show me payment in beer [smilie=drinkofbeer.gif]
windaddiction

Post by windaddiction »

Well picked up a 112 liter Mistral score from Gdawg.... Gordons here is come.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

one cool thing about windsurfing - you can toss shakas to your bros when you see another carload with masts and boards on the roof. you just can't tell who's who with all the kite gear hidden away nicely in trunks. :D
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

What's a bro?
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

misspelling of 'bru' :lol: