Nitinat Update

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
JL

Post by JL »

I pointed this out last year. IF NITINAHT WAS RUN LIKE OTHER FORESTRY SITES YOU WOULD SEE A 'CAMPGROUND FULL' SIGN ONCE EACH SPOT HAD 1 CAMPER. :roll: 53 sites http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/search/s ... &type=Site
Thermals are good.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Rest assured that the majority of the Forest Service campsites that are remote like Nitinat have no one around, or no one who cares, to put up a sign indicating the campsite is full. On the contrary most of the sites are much like Nitinat, camp where you may.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
LadyInTheWater

Post by LadyInTheWater »

i'm happy with the camp ground!! awesome people and clean. i've seen some horribly nasty outhouses at other campgrounds that don't even compare. if your a chick, hover and if you take a #2 put a layer of toilet paper down to sit on. the hand sanitizers have been full as well. it is silly that a government campground can't even bring in water for it guest and use fee to cover the charge for water.
GWIND

Post by GWIND »

Now I know why we call women " chicks ".
They can HOVER.
Thanks Lady :lol:
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
LadyInTheWater

Post by LadyInTheWater »

plus when you get a group of chicks together they turn into a hen house. lol.

i thought it was nice last year when people from the store would come around with flyers advertizing the special meals that they were serving that night, like fish & chips. that was really nice. if they've done that this year i haven't seen them yet. seems like now you never know when they even have their kitchen open.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Road continues to be good. A mere 1h 35min from the lake to my door tonight.

Lady running the store is really nice, store is well stocked, breakfast looked good, I'll have to get some next time. I did someone clean the outhouses this morning.. but the BEST update:

The bear trap 10 feet in front of the outhouse just after the right turn onto ring road. Currently it is bearless - but I can't wait to hear the story about the first person rushing to the loo not expecting there to be a caged wild beast in between them and salvation at the crap shack. I imagine they might find themselves no longer in need of the loo and instead heading for the river.
LadyInTheWater wrote:plus when you get a group of chicks together they turn into a hen house. lol.

i thought it was nice last year when people from the store would come around with flyers advertizing the special meals that they were serving that night, like fish & chips. that was really nice. if they've done that this year i haven't seen them yet. seems like now you never know when they even have their kitchen open.
They did fish and chips last night.
windaddiction

Post by windaddiction »

So you did it that quickly? okay I need a ride will pay gas!@! lol
jellyfish
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by jellyfish »

Yup, the road is really smooth. Trouble is that people go too fast... passed one car nose down in the gully by the wood bridge. Luckily no injuries.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Saw that car too, Chevy Malibu. They went into the ditch right before one of the hairpins before a bridge, probably didn't see it coming, slammed on the brakes and didn't turn at all sliding into the ditch. Unlucky, but a Malibu is not really the best car for the road either, bring the right tool w/ traction control, and you should be fine to cruise 70 km/h in safety if you know the road.
windaddiction

Post by windaddiction »

Is the road good enough to bring a small car? Or would I be crazy to bring my golf ( low ground clearance ) down that road. I haven't been to the lake in awhile and used to drive my truck which i no longer own!
firstonlastoff

Post by firstonlastoff »

Even when the road is well graded, there are always massive boulders that jut out of the road-bed, and they have a tendency to appear when your vehicle speed gets comfortably faster along a smooth section of the road. Having said that, on my last trip out, I was travelling 60 km per hour or less (there was a car in front of me going very slow and the driver wasn't courteous to pull over, grrrrh, and I wasn't in the frame of mind to bother passing so I settled in for a slow speed), and I found it fairly easy to spot the offending boulders and potholes that would otherwise catch a low-clearance vehicle. The biggest challenge would be to get through the wetted road areas from springs that seem to have a bed of permanent potholes around them. So, go for it in a low clearance vehicle, just be prepared to take your time - just leave 15 minutes earlier and all could be good. The additional commute time to go in the perhaps a better road surface on the Port Alberni route may be an option.
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

windaddiction wrote:Is the road good enough to bring a small car? Or would I be crazy to bring my golf ( low ground clearance ) down that road. I haven't been to the lake in awhile and used to drive my truck which i no longer own!
Its better than it was last year when I driving a lowered civic. Just do the driver at 40-50 kph instead of 60-70 and you'll be fine (providing you arent rolling on bald summer tires)
CTK

Post by CTK »

More exciting than kiteboarding
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (78.05 KiB) Viewed 2620 times
windaddiction

Post by windaddiction »

My fear is my low profile tires hitting a bump and damaging the rim. but gonig slower would limit that.

I will throw this out there if anyone is doing a day trip and wants gas money, some beach drinks, a buddy to chat with, let me know. I do shift work so I have roating days off throughout the week! Can drive up to meet you anywhere!

[smilie=drinkofbeer.gif]
Can't jibe

Nitinaht Trails

Post by Can't jibe »

Here is the current status of the trails around the campsite and some suggestions for improvements.
Attachments
Nitinat.Trails.2013.jpg
Nitinat.Trails.2013.jpg (45.61 KiB) Viewed 2451 times