Windsurfing Gear on Alaska Air - fee changes

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Windsurfing Gear on Alaska Air - fee changes

Post by KUS »

8' max out of Vic with Horizon, 9' out of Seattle or Bellingham w/ Alaska. You are permitted two bags, one for quiver one for board(s)... :wink: tho Victoria Alaska people have no clue about their own policy below, just pay whatever they want and reclaim later in Maui upon departure, $100 each way if econo class for both bags together (counts as one windsurfer). Print off the policy or ask for the manager, much easier argument done in Maui at noon than at 430am in Victoria :roll:

"Multiple Sporting Piece Exceptions
The following sporting items allow for multiple pieces to be considered one checked piece. Unless otherwise noted, standard checked baggage charges, overweight fees (51-100 pounds) and oversize (62" - 115") fees apply. Refer to our Checked Baggage page for checked piece, overweight and oversize charges."

Some sporting equipment may exceed 50 pounds or 62 linear inches (length + width + height) without being charged an overweight or oversize fee. Refer to our Sporting Equipment page for additional information.
"Each checked piece of sporting equipment listed below may exceed our size allowance (not to exceed 115") without incurring an oversize fee. "

"Windsurfing
One piece of windsurfing equipment is defined as one windsurfing board and one mast, boom and sail."

You could make a case that: only one fee is charged, overlength or overweight. The table says "additional fees" but then claims "fee per bag" so you could argue: $75 for overweight and overlength but no $25 for the original baggage fee since it states "fee per bag".....but I have never mastered that.... :lol:
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel ... x#oversize
$20 (or soon $25) plus the sporting goods fee of oversize/eight $75 = $100 plus tax.....for two huge, overweight and length bags....sounds ok.

The companion pass together with first class will yield a great deal: half price flying, no baggage fees for two, unlimited bags (soon to be just 2), champagne/food and wide seats, movies. Then cancel the usually more expensive return flight and rebook at no cost for a cheaper return if you have that flexibility. Can't beat it! Your $200 savings each way for bags almost pays for the first class difference....add rebooking fees of $0 vs. $75 each, you break even.

Bellingham by far the cheapest flights, 11am departure is doable but supertight so it costs you a ferry and an overnight. 6am flight from Vic via Seattle is the cat's meow.

Oops, BTW the new fee schedule comes into effect soon,
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel ... _FEECHANGE||
:?
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

When are you going Kus?
Don't forget to bring a towel!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

oh....ah...am I not there now :?: http://www.kiheibeachcam.com/ :shock:

jeez, thanks for waking me up, now I'm at my freakin' desk :evil: Damn you :x
Wish less, sail more!!

downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

but why would i go all the way to Maui and sail the same shite i am using here? :lol:
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

downwind dave wrote:but why would i go all the way to Maui and sail the same shite i am using here? :lol:
I can definitely help you with that… And after two or three months rental gets expensive :lol:
Wish less, sail more!!

nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

When are you going Kus?
Don't forget to bring a towel!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

yeah and where are you staying..
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

These are all very personal questions, the answers to which will change by the day/time of year/forecast....let me just give you my bank account # and PIN tho while I'm at it :wink:

I was hoping for this November/early December but it is getting more unlikely, then again for April/May which is more likely, then for October/November/early December...

The beaches, resorts, rentals and parking lots I stay at are too numerous to list 8) I move around a lot, wish Geoffy would hurry the hell up buying his house there so I can sleep on his oceanfront lanai :roll:
Wish less, sail more!!