Getting outside of the breakers

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
firstonlastoff

Post by firstonlastoff »

Dave,
I've got an older Drops board that was carbon constructed, very good condition. Collecting dust in my garage. It is a down-the-line wave board, early-mid 2000's model. The DWD crew will tell you to go with a newer design, and I would agree. But the price - Drops, Carve, 84 L, straps and fin, $175 obo.
firstonlastoff

Post by firstonlastoff »

Dave,
tried to send a PM reply, text me at six 0 four, five 0 five, twenty six zero 9
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

hey who is the DWD crew? i sail a 8 year old rrd. :lol:
Speedy_G

Post by Speedy_G »

I'm out of straps when clearing breaks. Front foot is right up at the mast base, back foot straddling centerline and knees bent to lower center of gravity. The only time I've had success clearing a break in straps is when I'm on full plane and charging it. Timing sets is important as already mentioned.
bamfieldave

Thanks

Post by bamfieldave »

Thanks for all the input. Been a big help. I epoxied some new foot strap mounts about 4" inboard. Turns out they don't help getting out, I just needed more practice. Found that putting more weight on the tail at the right moment is the ticket to getting up and over the piles. (For me)
As far as moving the foot straps inboard, love it! So fun.
Dave
eastside

Post by eastside »

Consider getting a SUP with a mast track or even a big floaty board with centre straps. My old Carve 120 had centre staps. That should give you way more days to practise so when you get a good day you will be on it. Start posting your sessions so we get a feel for the location. I would like to go out there some time. Beautiful beach and a great campsite. I haven't been there for years. So what works wind and surf wise? I don't think your secret spot will be inundated with people. 1.5 hours on a logging rode should keep the crowds away. That what's great about the island. But sometimes it is just nice to have some company.
winddude

Post by winddude »

Time on the water, windsurf, windsurf and windsurf. Just keep givener'
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

Hey eastside. I've sailed once on a SE at Pachena. Very gusty and mostly on shore and also backside riding. I sailed for about 30 minutes and decided it kind of sucked. :-) Not sure there is a wind direction that would give side shore conditions.

I would say it is more of a summer/spring/fall thermal-ish place. Most days I've been there when it is sunny, by 11 or noonish there is a pretty consist westerly...onshore. Probably would be a great place to learn to fly a kite because there is a big sandy beach with pretty much no one around.

As for surfing you need some south in the direction. There have been lots of west or northwest swell days that you can see the swell profile way out at the mouth of the bay rolling by. From my experience you are best with a waist to shoulder high wave and have a sup or a long board so you can pick up the waves way out while they are still steep swells.

Dave I'm sure has been in the water out there much more than me but I have surfed there quite a bit over the years...in laws have a place in Bamfield.
Give'R
bamfieldave

Pachena

Post by bamfieldave »

Hey, thelaw.
You are right, pachena is not a place that gets regular wind. The only reason I can windsurf there is because I am so close I can look out my window and if I see whitecaps I go. Sometimes I go a week or two without a session. Not really a place worth driving too.
Dave