Weight and Kite Size Please

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Teabag

Weight and Kite Size Please

Post by Teabag »

Going on deployment and would like to teach some co workers, I need a general idea on what kite size to put them depending on their weight and wind strenght:

Looking on infor for:

125 lbs: 8-13kts=_______14-18kts= _______19-23kts=______24-27kts=

150 lbs: 8-13kts=_______14-18kts= _______19-23kts=______24-27kts=

175 lbs: 8-13kts=_______14-18kts= _______19-23kts=______24-27kts=

Thanks for any info, Ian
(for my weight I will give them 2m lower than I would ride that day, if not super overpower)
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

175lb

8-13kn Go for a surf or snorkel instead :P ... 15m
14-18kn 10m to practice 12m to ride
19-23kn 8m to practice 10m to ride
24-27kn 6m to practice 8m to ride

You are taking a lot of responsibility on teaching them Ian. If they are coworkers they obviously joined the Navy so intelligence level will be low. You are going to have a tough time :P
Aboba

Post by Aboba »

At least they can probably swim...
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

Aboba wrote:At least they can probably swim...
Only if they have their birth-control flippers
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Thanks for the info Marty.

Anybody want to comment/advice for the 150lbs and 125 lbs??? Life/Safety of some random people depends on it!!!

Fluffy? Lass Vegas? Lysanne? Diane? BA?

Dane? Ned? Bill? Billie?

tks for any info,

Ian
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

You are taking a lot of responsibility on teaching them Ian.
I dont charge anything to teach, then I am not taking any responsibility right? I am not "forcing them to do this" or making them pay for a service that I offer, I tell them right at the beginning that this is a dangerous sport and although ill be extremely serious about safety I am not to be held responsible for any injury/death. That should be enough right? Has ever been any lawsuit being done on incident yet?
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

Just because you are not charging them it does not mean you are not responsible :roll: You are taking their lives in your hands when you pass the kite over. A little known fact for those who think instructors have it easy. Not worried about a lawsuit(make sure they are not american though), more about how you feel after someone breaks an arm or leg after you took them out to try kiting.
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

I used to teach people how to rock climb in NZ... and there's a bunch of risk involved but nothing stops them from injuring themselves and then going after you.

I even took people caving and said "I'm not counting heads and if you're lost or stuck I ain't coming after you in a tight space!" but you're responsible for them and their safety if you took them in there!

at the least have them sign a waiver man! protect yourself from those who might want to screw you
dangerdane

Kite size/weight

Post by dangerdane »

Fly at er Teabag! Bring em down to Kook Street Friday...lol! Teabag you've been around long enough and got lots of experience on the water and plenty of anecdotes to share (some might even involve me...;)). Nobody wants you to get your butt sued. Don't do it! Leave it to the Pros or get an IKO yourself.

As for kite size I use a 5,8,10 and a 12 and 10% of the time I pick the wrong size so I' might not be the best guy to ask. The logs might be a good place to look
Fluffy

Weight and kite size please

Post by Fluffy »

Hey Ian totally stoked that you want to share our amazing sport with your co workers! But ........ The lads have said it best. This is a dangerous sport. I've spent many winters on the beach in LV. I don't have my "shingle" out but I seem to be the go to medical girl on the beach. And I've seen far to many kite mares on the beach. Many broken bones and gashes. Bring your buddies to la Ventana and see elevation,, or Martyd ..... It's no fun having some one hurt kiting and it can happen in a heart beat.
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

tks for the extremely difficult quick answer:

@155 lbs I use my ?m from ?kts to ?kts.

Or at 130lbs I use my from ? kts to ? kts.

No need any more replies. Tks for the info Marty
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

I ride BWS kites, they tend to have power on high end of each range (some say each kite size is actually understated 1-2m, probably for some dumb marketing reason)

165lbs

12m: starts at 10kt, powered at 12kt, overpowered at 20kts
10m: 14-22
8m: 18-28
6m: 26-35

For my Cabrinha switchblade 12m, it started at 12kts, overpowered at 25kts.