Hatteras ??

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Cj

Hatteras ??

Post by Cj »

Can anybody share there experiences visiting Cape Hatteras? I want to go this spring.

Good places to stay? Best areas?

Best way to get there? (Cheapest) What airport?

How about car rentals? It looks like you can drive on some of the beaches maybe a truck would be best? How far drive is it from airport?

Any other things to check out? besides kiting as much as possible for two weeks.

Thanks

CJ
somebody said " go fly a kite".
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Dream land....always wanted to go, as a surfer, and now even more as a kiter. Looks like an amazing set up.

Sorry, no help whatsoever, other than to say: GO MAN GO!
And report back after on all the goodness.
winddude

Post by winddude »

Gone for windsurfing, no idea about kite spots. But most people try and rent a house on the sound, then you can sail from you doorstep.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
voodmon
Website Donor
Website Donor

Hatteras

Post by voodmon »

Check out Buxton watersports and Avon watersports, Ocean air watersports, think you have to fly in to Norfolk Virginia and drive from there, can't remember but I think about 3 hours south to Avon and Buxton NC, it's been a while since I have done that drive.
Surfing outside of Platos cave, searching for Blue Skies.
winddude

Post by winddude »

If you're there in spring take a steamer and shortie. It can be 5 or 25 degrees depending on a north or south wind.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
voodmon
Website Donor
Website Donor

Buxton NC

Post by voodmon »

Thanks windude. Totally agree, if it is on shore and you are on the ocean side 78' F water the gulf stream is near by a shorty works and the waters are full of wonderful fishes of all kinds, hammerheads, makos, Portuguese man of wars, turtles, dolphins that squeak at you and a shore pound that will pummel you into the sandy beach, you think the island shore break is powerful? the first hatteras breaker is about 4 feet high with about 12 inches of water under it. Nuff of that. Sound side, yes on a clearing westerly you will need a 5/4 full suit, like wind dude said the temp can drop drastically, but it is shallow way out to the channel, you can stand up most of the time with water up to your knees, how ever once in the channel you are on your own and that is where the biggest shark was caught years ago, not on the ocean side where they chum every day for the fisherman off the avon pier etc and those piers hold world records for hammerheads and makos caught. cheap beer, wonderful people and something to remember for the rest of your life, just like I do. Cheers. will see if I can find some analog pics to post. tim
Surfing outside of Platos cave, searching for Blue Skies.