Downwinder

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

once again the consistent summer winds are almost here! I want to try for another big downwinder sometime in late July or August!!

I was able to sail Gordon's Tuesday July 8th and after my session drove up to Cowichan Lake but found the wind at Jordan River was nice enough that you could have easily sailed to Gordon's from there... made me think, " why don't more people out west do downwinders??"

So maybe if we can orgainze a shorty practice run from Jordan to Gordon's lets do it!
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

abetanzo wrote:once again the consistent summer winds are almost here! I want to try for another big downwinder sometime in late July or August!!

I was able to sail Gordon's Tuesday July 8th and after my session drove up to Cowichan Lake but found the wind at Jordan River was nice enough that you could have easily sailed to Gordon's from there... made me think, " why don't more people out west do downwinders??"

So maybe if we can orgainze a shorty practice run from Jordan to Gordon's lets do it!
Let's do it. I have a feeling wind may get slightly sketchier in between point no point and sheringham, but we won't know until we try eh. I'd consider that downwinder without boat support, as you could self rescue to a beach and walk out potentially.

I don't think I'd want to do the G's to Cook without a boat....Race Rocks sticks so far out there, with so much wind and chaos, and no safe way out. By the way, I am working on a whale watching guide friend in sooke to be the water support if we want to do a repeat run....not sure about price as yet.
JL

Post by JL »

I'm in 8) ... I've been watching these thermals from French B. to P. no P. & we just need to stay outside. :P
Thermals are good.
Martin

Post by Martin »

I am in, I am in and just in case someone missed that, I am in.
Would like to do JR to Gordon's one day but the wind can be very light at JR.
So, Gordon's to Dallas is probably the better bet, on a gale forecast that is.
martin[/img]
Attachments
Downwinder finish.jpg
Downwinder finish.jpg (146.56 KiB) Viewed 1860 times
swells.jpg
swells.jpg (158.48 KiB) Viewed 1860 times
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

I'm going to go - sad I missed last year.
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

I’ll ask about the boat from the RVYC.

Cost for gas etc will be closer to $40 this time. I think I went through 4 tanks of fuel.

Need to get boat up there night before, or early morning.
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
Martin

Post by Martin »

I think we will all be more than happy to pay for the gas.
:D

Maybe Sooke the night before. John Bridal may know of moorage there for the night.
martin