San Carlos 2014

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

have a great trip Mike! take notes at the clinic so you can pass on the tips later. :wink:
Gdawg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gdawg »

June 14-21st for me. Looking forward to tearing my hands to pieces again.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Gdawg wrote:June 14-21st for me. Looking forward to tearing my hands to pieces again.
Have a great time...wish I could be there with you:

Last edited by bwd on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

bwd wrote:
Gdawg wrote:June 14-21st for me. Looking forward to tearing my hands to pieces again.
Have a great time...wish I could be there with you:
Yep, gooooooood times. Sigh. :oops:
Attachments
20120507-_MG_1416.jpg
20120507-_MG_1416.jpg (897.04 KiB) Viewed 2882 times
Poultry in motion
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

have a great trip Mike! take notes at the clinic so you can pass on the tips later. Wink
Will do , get better soon so I can show you what I learnt down at Cape Sebastian. Glad I'm going now before the Oregon coast trip so I might have a chance at keeping up with you guys. I did say "might", I know I'm pushing my luck. Flights in the morning! :D
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

where's my PSC update Mike, its been 5 days already. jeez some people.
and what happened in that gif, did you hit a fish? :shock:
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

Hey guys the internet isn't working out here so posts will be random. Sorry but having lots of fun!
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

May 3 to 10 was a full week in PSC with over 25+ sessions in eight days:

• 10+ down the line windsurfing sessions
• 7 SUP sessions
• 4 SUP-sail sessions
• 3 mountain bike rides
• 1 surfing set

Click here to view the 'highlights' of the pictures I took (there are still just over 300). :shock: :? ;)

More details to follow! :D ;)
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

looks like a fun time!
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

Here are a few of my favourite photos that Dave, Clarke and Mark took of me.
Day 1 had the best waves. When the fog killed the wind I went out for a SUP and Tyson came out and gave me some tips. The shot at the bottom was one of my best waves of the trip! Actually I had my most fun on the SUP, as the waves just got smaller day by day and the wind got really strong by the end of the week. One day the smallest sail used was a 2.9 and the biggest was a 4.2. Wyatt said to me on the second last day, "Dude I've never seen it this flat". : ( Still had a great time and learnt a lot from Tyson and Wyatt. Bring on the Oregon Coast!
Attachments
13983822770_26ee21b9d2_z.jpg
13983822770_26ee21b9d2_z.jpg (105.57 KiB) Viewed 2574 times
13979084489_70caa593bc_z.jpg
13979084489_70caa593bc_z.jpg (104.41 KiB) Viewed 2574 times
13977522547_01c3fa9795_z.jpg
13977522547_01c3fa9795_z.jpg (103.12 KiB) Viewed 2573 times
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Great photo set, C36! You captured PSC really well! Is it possible to feel homesick for a place that's not your home? :wink: I see the Witchcraft is still in the fleet; loved that board. Can't wait to return. What were the the best tips you received from Wyatt and Tyson?

Hopefully we can get a debrief on the Oregon coast at the end of June and share some Baja fogs.
Poultry in motion
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

winddoctor wrote:Great photo set, C36! You captured PSC really well! Is it possible to feel homesick for a place that's not your home? :wink: ...
Thanks for the compliment on the photos and yes you can be home sick for places that resonate with your inner self (your soul)!
winddoctor wrote:...What were the the best tips you received from Wyatt and Tyson?...
Defininately looking forward to the BWD Oregon Coast tour this year :D (since I missed it last year :oops: ). I have listed some of the tips I found super helpful below, but these may not have as much value for those further up the learning curve! :) :wink:

Lessons Learned:

Punta San Carlos is a VERY forgiving place to sail in medium sized waves: no shore break, no reef, no mackers, and the waves stand tall for a LONG time (they don’t through and dump).

Use back-foot pressure to slow down to let the wave catch up to you and then climb up the face of the wave. Once on the wave, use forward pressure on the mast foot (front arm and harness) to keep on the wave while stalled at the lip.

PSC-4: Wave riding tutorial in the morning and then I took to water to ‘practice’ our three drills – pumping the board on the upper half of the wave to build speed; hitting the lip straight on after the bottom turn; gaining ground by riding the white water upwind. I did better at riding the white water upwind and hitting the lip than pumping the board on the wave (given the light wind and small waves). Riding the white water upwind really helped! Today I stayed inside the break and was able to catch more waves than the two sessions the day before put together.

Two tips of ways to hit the lip: (1) break is close to you – ‘sling-shot’ down the wave face, wide bottom turn (to allow 180 degree turn) then direct the board straight up the face to hit the lip (easy to say, hard to do); (2) break is further down the line – pivot the board downwind, charge down the line (on the upper half the wave) and hit the lip with power and speed (again, easy to say, hard to do).

Body/hand movement: back hand back during bottom turn; then look at the beach as you hit the lip (allowing the clew to go up and open to keep it away from the white water); while your body is rotating pull your back hand forward to your harness lines.

PSC-6: Wyatt on back loops: It’s REALLY important to: (1) jump up (feet toward the boom); (2) slide your back hand back just before you hit the apex of the jump; (3) then pull your back hand AND back foot into your butt (back hand controls the rotation – in for faster and out for slower); (4) spot your landing (look over your shoulder to the water below and downwind of you).

The tip about the wind surging on the front side of the wave (in side-off conditions) really helped me anticipate changes in wind speed combined with what seemed to be more consistent (less angry) today made for easier windsurfing.

PSC-7: More lessons learned in the clinic (forwards, staying high on the wave to build speed, off-the-lip).

SUP-sailing brought big smiles. Delightful down-the-line conditions that produced poetic slow-motion wave sailing and we were the only two out having the place to ourselves. Dave M: The RRD WASSUP planes! REALLY! But it doesn’t feel as slippery or glide on the wave as well as my Fanatic AllWave.

PSC-8: Wave riding on SUP-sail is such awesome experience allowing time to put all the tips into practice! Things are really starting to click – thanks to the Wyatt and Tyson - and become second nature now!

PSC-10: Tyson’s SUP tips - lean well forward while paddling into the wave, use surfers stance to make you more stable if you are going to get hit by white water from behind (place your back foot up against the foot pad and shift your weight so on your front foot); use a draw stroke to minimize the arching path of the board). Caught a few modest sized waves and tried to test out Tyson’s tips – they all seemed to work!
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

When the wind Is really honking I think everyone gets caught off guard on their way out as they pass over the wave and suddenly the apparent wind doubles and violently tears the sail out of your hand and/or catapults you. That is the only "hard" part of getting outside compared to side or side on.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

[Vimeo]http://vimeo.com/100407320[/Vimeo]

Montage video of the week Maryam, Tswwassen and I were down there (May 2014) pulled together by one of the other campers from Sweeden - Bjorn. It really caputures the vibe of the place when we were there (for me). Watching it brought a lot of the memories flooding back and made my heart sing. :D 8) [/youtube]