Island View, Dec 26th

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Island View, Dec 26th

Post by Bobson »

Okay, today was great. I went down to Island View at 1:30 to see what was happening because my internet was down and couldn't get the BWD page up. So I get down there and NO WIND - NOTHING :wink: . So it's sunny and warm(ish) so I get out my paper, sit on a log and start to read. I see a wind line, it gets closer, it's filling in and probably about 5-8 knots..... I say to myself, self, this would be a good 1st day for your new Sailworks 9.0 NX. I jump in the car, drive home and quickly get my gear in the car, strap the board on and go :shock: . I also throw in the 6.9 Ezzy Wave SE just in case. I get back at approx. 2:15pm and come over the hump and see the odd whitecap....WHAT HAPPENED??? :shock:

I get down there and it's blowing 10-15 but still fairly flat though but getting a bit chilly. I remember seeing the forecast saying SE 20-30 in the afternoon so I rig up the 6.9 not wanted to rig the 9.0 for the first time and get blown out of my shorts. Anyways, by the time I'm finished rigging(about 3 minutes and 45 seconds after arriving) it's probably blowing 15-18. One fella on the beach is chatting with me and so I politely say 'DUDE, I gotta get out there and sail!!!'. I get out and am planing immediately and get a two-foot waterstart right away. Yahoo!!! I try about 10 jybes(didn't make any of them - need help I think) and waterstart about 8-9. The last couple, my head was pounding and I think it's going to implode because it's too cold so I call it a day.

It's fantastic sailing from 2:30 till 3:30pm(12-20kts). I pulled in and loosened the outhaul for the last 30 minutes as it seemed to let up a bit. It's 4pm when I finally say ENOUGH as the Slurpee Brainfreeze Headache is killing me and my fingers are not able to straighten and my vision is getting a little blurry. Probably time to purchase a hood and keep some of the little body heat I have left in my head!!??!!

At 4:05 just as I'm starting to pack up, who shows up but Windskip#1 and asks me if I know the temp in Hawaii right now....(just joking). He did show up actually and had a smile from ear to ear. I would too if it was only 4 more days till I thawed out too!

So that is my story, a little long winded but well worthwhile. MF4, if I knew you were out off Sidney, I would have headed downwind and cruised by your sailboat and waved as I passed you!! All in All, a wonderful boxing day!! I hope everyone's day was as enjoyable as mine.

Okay, enough with all the wind...how about a nice steady 10-12 knots so I can try out my new 9.0 without fear of ending up Jimmy Lewis style!HAHAHA!!! Sorry JL, couldn't resist! How did you like the red suit I was wearing today. Just trying to get in the spirit!! LATER! :lol:
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Bobson
For lots of jibing tips and discussion, check out this rec windsurfing discussion about making an instructional DVD- after reading it, I felt better about missing most of mine, it really makes jibing sound like one of the most complex of 'basic' manoevers in sport. Over 65 posts to the topic! I'll be buying the DVD....

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl= ... e%3Dgroups