Port Alberni kiteboarding ban

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
jim mckenzie

PA

Post by jim mckenzie »

Thanks, Juan. Then an association that could pay for the insurance might work. I'm sure windsurfers and others would join you in establishing a right to use for all of us that could be permanent and therefore have potential for investment and growth. A fee would be better than nothing. It may be helpful to talk to the Squamish crew and see what they think.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

The wheels are turning and the players are playing....I believe negotiations are in progress. :D

And the good news so far is that there is discussion ... that's a lot better than a stonewall "NO" response.

The windsports show has caught on as one of the cool things going on in Port Alberni, so I think there's some political pressure to make this work. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

if I may be so bold to put some of the debates to rest. First and foremost kiteboarding is not I repeat not banned in Port Alberni. The launching and landing at Centennial pier is at this moment banneD. the Port Authority has already passed their resolution regarding kite boarders using the Centennial pier. For those that wish to continue stomping their feet in protest your kind of beating a dead horse. No matter what safety record we have or what kind of good intentions, good signs, waivers excetera it is clear the Port Authority is not willing to accept that liability. If such people wish to assume that liability on their own and sign a legal agreement with the Port Authority that should an accident happen they will be held fully liable then fill your boots I personally am not one such person that is willing to sign off on the actions of all others which would include damages to structures or injury to bystanders. On a more positive note we are working together and have a small group of people working together to come up with viable solution that will work not only this season but for all seasons to come with access for both kite boarders and windsurfers. let's worry about multiple access points later how about focusing on something we can implement quickly and efficiently that will satisfy the concerns of the Port Authority meet the needs of the users and keep the crowds who enjoy the scene happy as we play on the water. I challenge someone to find a place that has a similar setup using a peer for a launch. If you do find one I would be sincerely interested in learning about it with the hopes we can apply it to work local situation. However I have made a number of calls and a number of inquiries via Facebook and other sources and not one person I have talked to can think of such a location furthermore they say that it's kind of crazy to launch off a pier citing many of the concerns that the current Port Authority have voiced. do not get me wrong I am NOT in favor of having our access to the water denied I just want to move forward in a positive manner
Last edited by kitesurferdale on Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

http://www.albernivalleynews.com/news/2 ... obile=true.

this is the most recent article published, I think it shows that the various parties, port authority and city are paying attention and willing to find a viable solution. of course we could poke a little fun at the wording some of the people use for our equipment. in my opinion that direction would serve no good and is childish, let's just focus on the message that they're willing to play ball.
GWIND

H. Quay

Post by GWIND »

Dale is absolutely correct. Listen to him. The property in question is federal government and they march to their own drum. All one can do is work with them and hope for a good result.
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
jim mckenzie

PA

Post by jim mckenzie »

Thanks for the info Dale and good luck to PA kiters in working this out.
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

we should make a video like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1AKlK2gxXA

similar method could be used off a dock or peir!! some cool music and a cute female kite boarder would be great!!
GWIND

Dumb

Post by GWIND »

Ya, so safe.
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

I wouldn't say it was unsafe! Obviously not ideal! Thanks for your comment!!

Love the casual nature of this girl
JL

Post by JL »

HOT boat :P
Thermals are good.
Moderate Wind Mateo

Post by Moderate Wind Mateo »

Chatted with the Port Today. It seems they are proposing a new launch upwind of the centennial pier, apparently they can have it up and running within a month of the final decision. I will post the drawings once I have them.
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

hello folks, here is the latest news regarding Port Alberni access. The Port Authority has agreed in principle to a proposal that myself and others have come up with that involves relocating several docks in such a way that it emulates the angle of Centennial pier. This access will be exclusive to kite boarding and windsurfing users. Naturally there is more work to be done but we are moving forward in a very positive direction. I have some general diagrams in PDF format should anyone be interested. I am not sure how to attach it to this post. Anyways there will be access to Port Alberni this summer that hopefully everyone can enjoy.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Here's the documents from Dale, and some more info:

"So I put in a number of proposal and they have elected to go to proposal C first as the exiting docks have been in place a long time and they are not sure how easy it is going to be to re-position these docks. So they are going to manouver dock C first and if the anchor blocks and chains are all go and things go smoothly then they are going to attempt to move to proposal D. However should the anchor chains be in poor condition or the anchor blocks too mired in mud then they will move just one. As said in the post they have stated that the docks B,C and D are for Kiteboarder and Windsurfer use. I have also included a Satellite image so one can get an overall picture.

A group of us are still working on other things as well like signage etc etc, but at least getting this set in motion should mean we will have solid and permanent access to the water this summer."

Thanks a lot for your work on this Dale. STOKED for my July visit.

GWIND

New docks

Post by GWIND »

That looks damn promising. I've sailed off that dock and landed there on windy days for a rest. Seemed like it had pretty good wind right there. Also right behind the dock there is a bit of a lee. Good for dropping a kite ? Good work so far.
Sandy Beach

PA's new launch proposal for 2015 windy season!

Post by Sandy Beach »

Dale, thanks for keeping us in the loop (every step of the way) while away, and for all of your and others' hard work over the past couple of weeks with this plan.

Amazing how negatives can push situations into fast-forward positives.

We really appreciate that you stepped up, met with PAPA (on several occasions), spoke at city council to raise awareness and lobby more support for appropriate access, and devised a workable plan (with input from various affected users).

With this important turn of events and your diplomatic, spearheading efforts (from the day that the news broke of the kite ban), we foresee much positive ripple effects for the future of PA's wind sport scene, public spectators, local businesses (Harbour Quay Merchants), and future collaboration with city and PAPA.

KSD, you rock:)

We are very much looking forward to seeing the new launch plans in person this week!
See you in PA soon.
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction