Nitinaht 2015: Road/Camp updates

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Nitinaht 2015: Road/Camp updates

Post by KUS »

2015 updates:

Last weekend the entire road from Youbou Campgrounds to the Nat village was being graded, never seen anything like it. Beware of the freshly graded shards....Heavy hauling out of just past the Kissinger area, even encountered a load on the old one-way stretch just before PA junction :!: If you follow closely you may impact a stopped, pulled over driver engulfed in the very heavy dust....actually never seen it that bad in a long time...bad already, wonder what July will bring? Hopefully some calcium.

On route out, 9/10 only a few wet pothole areas remained, usually right before the one-way-can't-see-shit holy-crap-there's-a-guy-ripping-toward-me bridges where you need to crawl to be safe anyway. Great drive out :idea: South Road before this grading was in equally 6-7/10 shape as North Road
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Must've had quite a bit of rain the last couple of days. Roads sucked for the most part back down to 5 to 6 out of 10. Lots of potholes. Broken down grader at Youbou campground. 10 kites 4 sails. Wind 9.5 to 12m, made 5.3 barely work :arrow: warmish n sunny
Wish less, sail more!!

nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Agreed. Very few "good sections." Holes aren't that deep but pretty much nonstop the whole way. Still dd the trip from langford in 1:45.

Anyone take the south shore?
Don't forget to bring a towel!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Some more grading improvements but nasty slime potholes persist, rest is damn dusty for this time of year 6/10 going in 7 heading out :roll: grader at Maple Grove has its wheel back, maybe it'll have a driver soon too? Day Use fees eliminated!! Yay! One less letter to write :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!

abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

I had to pay a day use fee last sunday!! damn

it was pretty crazy when they were asking $10! $5 aint bad but why do they even charge?
Last edited by abetanzo on Fri May 08, 2015 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
JL

Post by JL »

History: Nitinat (h seems to be optional) was a free campground provided by the logging co. as part of their timber license. Our indigenous friends up the rd. noticed in the 80's that we were enjoying the campground (windsurfing) & our politically correct government ( B.C. treaty commission) granted them rights to the Park. That is why we pay for day use & camping. :wink: More info here: http://www.ditidaht.ca/parks--recreation/ 8) Sorry about high jacking the thread :D
Last edited by JL on Fri May 08, 2015 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thermals are good.
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

doesn't say anything about a day use fee!! only 12-14 a night!!

I heard a trailer is $27/night...

are they just making this stuff up now??
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I know its early days and enthusiasm may wear thin but..... the new caretaker is working hard everytime I see him....AND with his safety gear on!! I paid day use the other day (with my usual WTF harassment & to be expected Kus' S&A but acknowledged he was working hard) and he told me yesterday with a smile there is no longer a day use fee. he actually sought me out to tell me this, nice to see customer service 8) He said to reclaim the paid fees I should talk to MOF :wink: Anyway, the guy was brushing/weedwhacking campsites, before he was cutting branches/logs out of the roadway. I asked if he was gonna fill the potholes next and he indicated not part of his JD....but: apparently the grader will make his annual pass thru the site in the next week so maybe they will only be 8" deep, not 12 :lol:

PS- I note it says "The Windsurfers' Park" managed by the Ditidaht Nation - :wink: so yeah, maybe kiters pay $17 waterfront and $27 for their trailers :D ooouh, I better stop that kiting thing again :arrow:
Wish less, sail more!!

JL

Post by JL »

Good news. As far as caretakers go Dale was awesome 8) . I hope he & Sandy can keep things going in P.A. :P
Thermals are good.
otisdadog

Post by otisdadog »

Does anyone know how much the people pay who have setups for the whole season?
JL

Post by JL »

" The Windsurfers' Park managed by the Ditidaht Nation offers rustic camping with picnic tables, fire pits and outhouse facility at $12.00 - 14.00/night.
The maximum stay is 14 days and the campground is monitored daily by Ditidaht Campground staff.
Reservations are not accepted. Pack it in - Pack it out. "
8)
Thermals are good.
Ryball

Post by Ryball »

I get that it says 14 days max but really?? We all know that guys set up in there the entire summer with a 5th wheel, tent trailer, motor home, bus, etc that don't move from June to September, often taking up prime real estate. I'm interested as well what these guys pay.
AC

Post by AC »

17$ night front 15 back on and 23 if u have an Rv sorry to be the one to inform
Martin

Post by Martin »

Interesting numbers.
It makes laVentana look pretty good for the Winter at about $10 per day with water hook up to the rv and toilet/showers.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

AC wrote:17$ night front 15 back on and 23 if u have an Rv sorry to be the one to inform
u'd think with the RV u use your own can/water should be cheaper :wink: as for LV having forest around you....priceless :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!