BWD Oregon Coast Bi-Windsport Wave Camp 2015

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I don't know what you guys are looking at but I see a 2' high period SW swell kicking in next monday for several days. These are the most reliable of swells because they are coming from so far away. The epic contest day at the Cape last year had a similar forecast. Tofino would also be real good at incinerator on a similar forecast.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

nanmoo wrote:I don't know what you guys are looking at but I see a 2' high period SW swell kicking in next monday for several days. These are the most reliable of swells because they are coming from so far away. The epic contest day at the Cape last year had a similar forecast. Tofino would also be real good at incinerator on a similar forecast.
Is this what you're looking at? Hope I can hit this, if all goes well I'll be leaving Monday.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 10.53.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 10.53.11 PM.png (81.31 KiB) Viewed 2648 times
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Yup. That looks pretty cape frundly to me!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Weekend looks bad roaring back Monday. The swell cast on iwindsurf shows that south swell looking pretty epic. Maybe leave Sunday night now. Is everyone bringing their kites too?! :lol:

KC and Rika, when are you guys going?
HiyoSilver

Post by HiyoSilver »

How's July for the Oregon coast? Anyone going then??
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Theoretically it can be good from April until October, but what sometimes ends up happening as the summer wears on is that the Fog banks get so thick that they stay onshore killing the wind and never pushing off.

That said, the last two years Redbaron and I have scored some epic Cape action on the way down to Baja ranging from late July to Mid August. But we've also stood on the beach for what was supposed to be an epic forecast watching the Fog roll by slowly the wrong way.
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

HiyoSilver wrote:How's July for the Oregon coast? Anyone going then??
nanmoo wrote:Theoretically it can be good from April until October, but what sometimes ends up happening as the summer wears on is that the Fog banks get so thick that they stay onshore killing the wind and never pushing off.

That said, the last two years Redbaron and I have scored some epic Cape action on the way down to Baja ranging from late July to Mid August. But we've also stood on the beach for what was supposed to be an epic forecast watching the Fog roll by slowly the wrong way.
HS: I was wondering the same thing a while back and took a look at the historic data for the Gold Beach sensor (under reports for Cape and Pistol River but the only data I could find) and it shows what Moo says (although June looks to be the 'golden' month).
Attachments
Pistol River - wind stats (Gold Beach sensor).jpg
Pistol River - wind stats (Gold Beach sensor).jpg (59.03 KiB) Viewed 2434 times
KC7777

OC

Post by KC7777 »

nanmoo wrote:Weekend looks bad roaring back Monday. The swell cast on iwindsurf shows that south swell looking pretty epic. Maybe leave Sunday night now. Is everyone bringing their kites too?! :lol:
KC and Rika, when are you guys going?
Party at 3269 West Road, Nanaimo on this Saturday (Rika's)....all windsurfers welcome....even kiters too. And Kus.

We will probably mtn bike and recover on Sunday then pack and leave for south.

Coast or Gorge?

We just sold Rikas Quatro 95L and she bot Caleb's 75L Fanatic Quad...so have to swing thru Hood.

Only issue is that I have to be back in the 'Wack to sign house selling papers on June 29...my notary says I cant do it by fax.

But July is 100% open!! And August for that matter.

Keith
Last edited by KC7777 on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

^^ oh yeah Gorge for sure ... :roll:

eta Cape 0840 Tuesday.

Keen has requested that everyone bring something to throw at the fairgrounds - a football, Frisbee, lawn darts, horse shoes, whatever.
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: OC

Post by C36 »

nanmoo wrote:...KC and Rika, when are you guys going?
KC7777 wrote:...Coast or Gorge?

We just sold Rikas Quatro 95L and she bot Caleb's 75L Fanatic Quad...so have to swing thru Hood.

Only issue is that I have to be back in the 'Wack to sign house selling papers on June 29...my notary says I cant do it by fax...
I think I would look for another Notary.
:idea: Hey look there is one in GOLD BEACH!!! 8)
But I couldn't find any in Hood River. :D :wink:
Attachments
Gold Beach notary.jpg
Gold Beach notary.jpg (70.09 KiB) Viewed 2303 times
morewind

Post by morewind »

TheLaw wrote:He could easily handle both tasks Tony. He is an Engineer for heaven's sake!
"Beer-me" - I'm there ... but not this year. Just got back to work after a long hip surgery recovery. I don't think the optics would be good to take vacation after being on med leave for 2 months.

I'm looking ahead to OR trip 2016. As photographer -- thinking of learning how to shoot action video, interview doods, and editing together a worthy OR trip documentary.

Have a blast and play safe you guys and gals, on and off the water :D
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

TheLaw wrote:He could easily handle both tasks Tony. He is an Engineer for heaven's sake!
morewind wrote:"Beer-me" - I'm there ... but not this year. Just got back to work after a long hip surgery recovery. I don't think the optics would be good to take vacation after being on med leave for 2 months.

I'm looking ahead to OR trip 2016. As photographer -- thinking of learning how to shoot action video, interview doods, and editing together a worthy OR trip documentary.

Have a blast and play safe you guys and gals, on and off the water :D
Great news on both fronts!
Glad to hear the worst of the recovery is over! :D
Look forward to seeing you on the coast in 2016! 8)
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

KC7777 wrote:We will probably mtn bike and recover on Sunday then pack and leave for south. Coast or Gorge?
I assume that your better half will make you go to the coast this time ie. no chickening out :)

Forecast looks good, except for the choppy seas part:
.SYNOPSIS FOR THE SOUTHERN OREGON COASTAL WATERS...
OFFSHORE HIGH PRESSURE WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE WEEKEND. A THERMAL TROUGH WILL STRENGTHEN AGAIN AND NORTH WINDS AND CHOPPY WIND DRIVEN SEAS WILL INCREASE THIS AFTERNOON INTO SATURDAY MAINLY SOUTH OF CAPE BLANCO. WINDS AND SEAS WILL GRADUALLY LOWER ON SUNDAY...THEN ARE EXPECTED TO INCREASE AGAIN TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY.

.TUE...N WIND 15 TO 20 KT...RISING TO 25 KT IN THE EVENING THEN EASING TO 20 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. WIND WAVES 4 TO 5 FT BUILDING TO 5 TO 6 FT. SWELL SW 3 FT.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

bwd wrote: I assume that your better half will make you go to the coast this time ie. no chickening out :)
Be brutally firm with him Rika. Use a drug if necessary to knock him out if he wants to turn left instead of keeping south on the drive down. Everyone knows he's just going to be kicking himself "why didn't I start this years ago" after his first session (well, after a few days anyway).
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Aiming for last Coho Monday in the Loaf!
Poultry in motion