windsurfing - flat water for gybing practice? (Victora)

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
tbrown

windsurfing - flat water for gybing practice? (Victora)

Post by tbrown »

Driving out to Gordon's on Monday I just about stopped and tried to figure out how to get down to whiffen spit, it looked ideal as a practice area for carve gybes... looked like 20+ knots blowing on to the spit and smooth flat water behind it. Am I wrong? It isn't listed in the sailing guide, and the only reference in the forum seems to be a kiting reference. Any other suggested areas for these summer westerlies?

I'm relatively sure that if I could get some flat water practice in I could tidy things up immensely, but trying to learn in rough water seems painfully slow. -Tom
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Lately things have been way more SSW/SW/WSW than normal (yesterday for instance it was almost dead onshore at Cook St), so it's probably been blowing into the spit and you're right, that might be fun (though there is a surprising amount of current there during tide changes to be aware of).

When it is blowing a more normal W or WNW that changes as the land blocks the wind.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

sunken tug (no longer visible) and a few other things, bolders... in the water, might wanna check into it before doing high speed laydowns, just sayin' :arrow:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Nanmoo is right on (don't let him know he'll just get pompous), it is a bit like Esquimalt and will only work with lots of S. I'd think the spit is high enough to burble up the wind especially at lower tides, that wouldn't matter kiting. We clearly need someone to Winddummy for us!

Sooke Basin is often good for flatwater blasting/carve practice and you don't have the currents to contend with. In fact its often windier here than at Gordons. Kind of up and down gusty though.

SW end of Cowichan Lake would also be good for flatwater when its windy I've often thought. Kus may have some experience? I know Betty-Anne was kiting at the end of the lake at the old Youbou mill site for a while too.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Ha, thanks MF4.

Kus is also right, check it out on a low tide. Low tide makes for an interesting time there for sure, as you head west more and more boulders in your way that dry either completely or as the trough of a wave rolls past. On a high tide, stuff is far enough under that you are pretty safe though.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
jim mckenzie

smooth water gybes

Post by jim mckenzie »

I found smooth water on a lightish day (6.5/100 ltrs.) in the mouth of the Squamish River. The area between the river mouth and the bay flows hard enough to more or less eliminate windwaves . It was an easy sailing day with just the right wind to be nicely powered up but not over. The flat water allowed me to find the perfect time to flip the sail and perform an uninterrupted carving jibe. No bumps made it easy. Jibing more in the river behind the sandbar allows ridiculously long gliding carves when it's really windy. It was about a three hour session that really helped me out.
tbrown

Post by tbrown »

Good point Jim. Much of my winter sailing last season was off of cattle point, and the current through Baynes often wipes out any waves. I remember thinking that completely flat water was sticky and a tiny bit slower. I just haven't been out that way recently with the willows camera being down. (And of course, in summer the common daytime current is a flood instead of an ebb.) -Tom
dangerdane

Post by dangerdane »

Ross Bay has been pretty flat and nice with all the S lately.
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

gybe practice

Post by Bobson »

Agreed on Ross Bay flat with lots of S in the wind and slackish tide. Seems like less kelp this year as well which makes for sailing into the bay in behind Clover Point. I was on formula gear with 9.2 sail which makes flat very helpful for gybing.
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

tbrown wrote:...with the willows camera being down...
new router at the caretaker's home is apparently at issue, BWD is trying his best to get it up and running again, people were away globe trotting, let's just be happy when it's back up...not constantly belabor that it's down .... like it's not a voluntarily run effort, thx :arrow:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....