Fanatic Stubby Wave Board 215cm x 57cm???

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
KC7777

Fanatic Stubby Wave Board 215cm x 57cm???

Post by KC7777 »

Hey

Was just looking at the Fanatic site....saw this:

Fanatic Stubby no nose wave board
212cmx55cm for the 77L
and
215cmx57cm for the 88L

That is stubby!

http://www.fanatic.com/product/stubby-te/

Per website:

The best kept secret in the windsurfing scene. This exciting new parallel rails concept with a super compact length surprises with speed, planing stability and ease of use. After lots of prototypes, countless hours of secret joy and just fun sailing, we're proud to present the STUBBY in two sizes: 77 and 88.

The entire year 2014 our R&D team worked quietly on a new and exciting concept. The idea to explore with more parallel rail outlines and a reduction to the board’s functional minimum draw a lot of attention in the surfing world lately. Characteristics such as speed & stability combined with loose turning and minimized swing weight made us try a transformation of these ideas into dimensions of a windsurf board. With instant excitement, we decided to evolve this project secretly and unleash it as a nice surprise for the scene.

Stepping on the Stubby for the first time eliminates any doubts in an instant and refreshes your perspective on board design. The wide double diamond tail features a channel for extra grip and drive, the large MFC Tri Fin set supports tight turning and offers incredible lift and upwind performance. While the tail and nose sections are extremely wide, the centre of the board is narrower, giving a clean water flow and reduced drag. In combination with the V bottom with slight double concaves, the Stubby is extremely fast and controlled. Once catching your first wave, the longer effective rail line comes into play and gives you a new sensation of stability in the bottom turn, while the stance far back on the wide tail allows for fast and tight reactions and turns. Due to a rocker line, that is adapted to the boards length and it’s trim, the wide nose always recovers, even after a steep re-entry. With its speed and control on the way out the Stubby offers solid jumping performance as well.

Almost everything with this board is new, also the sensation it gives you. It doesn’t matter in which conditions you feel at home, if waist high cross-onshore or masthigh and sideshore: If you’re looking for something new – a package of pure fun and motivation – you have to try the Stubby!

Stubby vs. TriWave & Quad

The Stubby comes with a different feel to the other two wave boards we offer. Its planing capabilities are not far off the TriWave and with a more backfooted style it also rides closer to the TriWave than the Quad, which rides more front footed. But with its super wide tail, the Stubby still has a total different way of turning compared to the TriWave. If you’re happy with a classic ride and want the next step up from your FreeWave, the TriWave with its classic outline and incredible jumping potential is a top choice for you. If you’re already a long time wave sailor coming from a Quad or TriWave style board and want progression and spice your waveriding with a different style, the Stubby will be pure joy for you.
Attachments
Stubby.jpg
Stubby.jpg (173.56 KiB) Viewed 5034 times
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

cool, these shapes are getting popular in surfboards and sups. though the niche is supposed to be dinky mush surf. Looking at the volumes, fanatic intends this to be a medium-high wind board. probably loops great with the missing nose. anyway you should totally get one. :D

[Vimeo]http://vimeo.com/122291237[/Vimeo]
Last edited by downwind dave on Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
eastside

Post by eastside »

Seems gimmicky to me, but who knows. Buy one for $3000 U.S.

Surf board designers can help me out, but I think the wide tails on the stubbie sups are for more stability/float on the rear of the board and the straight rails give more paddle speed and stability. Short length means less swing weight so easier to throw the board around. The idea is to get a short yet stable board. As Downwind Dave says for small mushy surf. Does this translate for a wind driven board?
eastside

Post by eastside »

DM is cutting the noses off the early 2000 no nose boards. Maybe he should save the probosci to add them back on to these in 10 years. :roll:
winddude

Post by winddude »

surfing is getting even weirder shapes, I have a hard time wrapping my head around this one from firewire.

Boards like the fanatic stubby you're turning less off the rail and more off the v-bottom, and generally wider tails get more push from slow mussy waves. You can see how much they're turning off the tail in the video, kind of looks like it's built for freestyling in front of the wave... my 2 cents

https://vimeo.com/122291237
Attachments
fw-conice.jpg
fw-conice.jpg (14.16 KiB) Viewed 4943 times
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

[Vimeo]http://vimeo.com/116081365[/Vimeo]

:shock: The good news is both designers/companies are thinking outside of the box and pushing the limits ~ sort of ~ windsurfing hulls that look like giant wakeskates...

...and surfboards that look like snowboards - my head hurts! :?

Although beauty is in the eye of the beholder, esthetically neither of those those designs appeal to me in the least. The Cornice looks about as sexy as a suppository. :roll:

My gut tells me these 'weird' shapes won't be around for long, but I also remember the lesson that, 'It's when you think you are absolutely sure your right, your usually wrong.' :oops:

It would be interesting to try the stubby Fanatic (unfortunately I don't likley have the skills required to surf the Cornice). Time will tell. :D :wink:
Last edited by C36 on Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

the wide square tail probably planes up real nice, like a formula board, and the 3 fins means you don't need a 90cm dagger like the old days.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Saw the stubby in use at ho'okipa and asked around a bit about it. Most called gimmick and it looked horrible for slogging out and in from the launch there. If you had small glassy ideal conditions with high wind it would probably rip, but how often does that happen?

Lots of people on that shape of regular surf board though, and by all accounts they work from 2-8' and weren't seen as gimmicky.

Keith should probably try wave sailing first though.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
KC7777

Stubby wavesailing

Post by KC7777 »

nanmoo wrote:Keith should probably try wave sailing first though.
Really? If I only knew somewhere good that everyone on here goes wave sailing in June/July? I have no ideas? hahaha
winddude

Post by winddude »

downwind dave wrote:the wide square tail probably planes up real nice, like a formula board, and the 3 fins means you don't need a 90cm dagger like the old days.
But those 90 cm fins are great for taking out manatees in south Florida and getting launched 30ft across the water.

It makes my brain hurt, seem to go against everything that's commonly believed around wave shapes, a rounder outline and more rocker for maneuverability in the waves.

The stubby kind of looks like it goes well with shorts over the wetsuit.
Must ... Sail... More...
winddude

Post by winddude »

check out what Keith Teboul is doing at Quatro, experimenting with channels. Looks pretty cool, but also reminds me of some 80's course boards.
Attachments
11130239_10153168547889268_4543280682406452930_n.jpg
11130239_10153168547889268_4543280682406452930_n.jpg (31.24 KiB) Viewed 4666 times
Must ... Sail... More...
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

I had the 2007 Naish Hybrid 85, one of the first true stubby wave boards (Evos not withstanding) for a season at only 214 cm. It was heaps of fun on a wave, but not amazing for planing or floaty jumps. It did loop amazingly well with the short length. It just felt too funky overall to really fall in love with it. Hope these new designs offer more versatility or else they'll be a bit too "niche". The Starboard Black box is another mushy-wave cool shape, but what has me most excited is the 2016 Starboard Reactor in 79, 82, 87, 92 and 99L, designed by Stone Surf in Oz. Jaeger Stone's been riding these shapes in various iterations for years now, so they'll be tested and well proven. The turns I'm seeing guys get on this shape are impressive. I'd love to try one!
Poultry in motion
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

winddoctor wrote:but what has me most excited is the 2016 Starboard Reactor!
This is the board I saw at Sprecks. They had 2 guys ripping around on them slashing up the waves. They were pulling off some amazing moves in those small waves.

Some action in WA.
https://vimeo.com/121972478
KC7777

Fanatic Stubby SUP

Post by KC7777 »