Windsurf girl new to Island !! stoked! advice?

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
watertiger

Post by watertiger »

Geoffy wrote::D :D Welcome - And now for something completely different.

Mijn vrouw Carla komt uit Nederland en we varen rond het eiland , net terug van een driedaags weekend op Nitinat.

She is on a 294 slalom board and we used 4.5, 5.3, and 6.0 sails with no problems. I sailed a Bic Vivace 282 for many years there and still sometimes wish I had it. Look at the Tofino temperature and the Port Alberni temperature and if it's sunny conditions and 6-10 degrees different, then Nitinat will be windy enough to have fun. Look forward to meeting you - we'll be there probably Labor day weekend and the weekend afterwards.

Thanks! sounds good! so you mean if there is a big temperature difference between Port A and Tofion the winds speed up. I think I have a 7.8 .... so I guess I need to avoid those strong winds :)

Wellicht tot zines labour day!

Welcomst, Geoff and Carla
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

Ahh yes Watertiger (cool name - like Grasshopper!) -- a 7.8 will gain you much attention, but maybe will not be so good for the sailing. In the forecast tab on this website is Randy's Nitinat Forecast, always good to review.

A 5.3 and a 6.0 are near ideal sizes for most times at Nitinat, but I do not know your strength/skill levels. Past weekend Carla (Clara Westdyjk) used a 4.5 sail mostly, she's beginner+ and 60 kilo, and could always waterstart that sail.
We windsurf - life must be good!
redbaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Windsurf girl new to Island !! stoked! advice?

Post by redbaron »

watertiger wrote:New to the island, I'm from the Netherlands, and I'm stoked to Windsurf again :D
- Techno 293 Design
- Only did lakes so far - don't want to drift off in the tide :roll:

I work near:
- Willows, minimum wind?, direction?
- Cadboro bay, minimum wind?, direction?

Other suggestions very welcome.

THANKS! :D
For big gear/lighter wind days, i use to sail at Ross Bay. It's super flat inside the bay. I don't recommend going out past clover point if you are a beginner. (It gets more windy and choppy with a bit of current... Fun if you like waves)This place work well when Ogden point latest report readings are 16-20kn SW, usually in afternoon with clear skies. If wind direction is W or NW its gusty and not as good.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

With that board you can sail pretty much any lighter steady wind. I'd second Jl in recommending Sooke Basin for often having good conditions. The water is flat enough you should be able to handle even pretty big gusts. I used to go there fairly regularly, and strangely it often has better wind than does Gordons (which I only realize after I've gone to Gordons and there is no one else out because its too light). I used to sail my Kona just about anywhere if I couldn't get out on smaller gear. I think I'm kayaking more now in those conditions, but could be convinced to haul out the big rig sometimes.

Cadboro Bay - often has a little thermal in the bay where there is no wind anywhere else, OK for gliding about and mixing with the sailing dinghies. Cordova Bay can be good on NE winds or maybe SE - especially when its too light for small gear but still steady.
watertiger

Post by watertiger »

Thanks all! big help!

I have a 6.5 sail :shock: I did a first sail at Elk lake last night: lots of wind, lots of fun! happy :D

I need a smaller sail for Nitinath as I still have sloppy jibes, and big sail will be hard to water start with strong winds.

I just saw the aerial video of Nitinath posted -
I wanne sail it!!!!!! :D

Thanks!
tbrown

Willows Beach ...

Post by tbrown »

With the willows webcam back on-line, that is a destination worth considering. The summer westerly blows offshore there. Being both offshore and light and shifty on the beach, the westerly isn't a novice wind, but as you get offshore it both strengthens and steadies. I have lots of good memories of summer sailing there while practicing the basic skills. The westerly generally won't give you an adrenaline rush, but Willows does get some significant winter SE winds. -Tom
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

w.tiger, did you see Randy's forecast? He predicts it will be windy enough, though wet, to sail the Nat this weekend. You might be lonely if you go still though. Good conditions for you right now at Columbia.
watertiger

Post by watertiger »

more force 4 wrote:w.tiger, did you see Randy's forecast? He predicts it will be windy enough, though wet, to sail the Nat this weekend. You might be lonely if you go still though. Good conditions for you right now at Columbia.
Thanks! I was in Tofino for 3 days for surfing. How about coming long weekend :) it states 10 - 15 km so not so much and enough for me :D
HiyoSilver

Post by HiyoSilver »

Welkom, landgenote! Kijk ernaar uit je te ontmoeten op het strand :)

Nitinat Lake is een prima plek om je windsurfen te verbeteren! Steady winds, safe and I've often seen it blow only 15 knots there, too. Haven't been there too often, though. I've only lived on the Island for a year and visited Nitinat 2 or 3 times before that.
Until you are confident enough to sail up wind I would recommend looking for launches with side-on wind conditions. So you'll be blown back to shore if something goes wrong or you have trouble staying/getting up wind.
Lakes are safest - there is always a shore to land on ;) On the ocean I'd stay in the bays until you feel more confident/you get to know what conditions you like to sail in. Beware of currents! - But you should know that as a Dutchie ;)
And always go with a buddy.

I would get some more sail sizes.. It's nice to have the right sail for the right conditions. You'll have more fun!! (I have a quiver of older sails - from the mid nineties - 3.5-5.5, that I could sell you for a good deal...)

As for too much chop? I've seen the pros racing their slalom board in mega chop... and a buddy that sails his 111L slalom board in 25-30 knot winds with mega lake chop no problems... so why not you!? Ga maar lekker proberen en kijk maar hoe het gaat :) Je ziet wel wat je leuk vind en hoe je jezelf in de sport ontwikkeld.
Je kan altijd een kleiner boardje kopen hier op BWD buy and sell...

Tot ziens op het water! :arrow: ~~~~
HiyoSilver

Post by HiyoSilver »

Oh, btw, I'm looking forward to meeting Carla en Geoffy, too! - Ja, ik kom dus ook uit NL :) Where do you guys sail usually?
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

HiYo - sometimes at Nitinat but Carla tore her calf muscle there last week :cry: so she's out for a bit - She's the NL'er, I'm Trinidadian.

I'll sail anywhere, IV in winter, Clover Point (don't like the stairs at Cook and point is nicer IMO), Gordos, gorge, Oregon coast etc. I'll be at Clover or Gordo's this weekend, JP boards, Naish sails, Sparkley helmet!
We windsurf - life must be good!
HiyoSilver

Post by HiyoSilver »

I won't be around this weekend, but I'll look for a sparkly helmet next time I sail in Gordos/Vic area! wish Carla 'beterschap' :)