Laventana March 2016

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Laventana March 2016

Post by tempy »

All. I am planning a trip with the family next March. Windsurfing for adults and kiteboarding for kids. Mrs Tempy would like a nice place to stay that is not too loud or rowdy. Any thoughts on accommodation and rentals (we are hopefully going to have our own kites - so just windsurf rentals). I have looked at Baja Joes; Prowindsurflaventana and Ventana Winsports. Mrs found a nice VRBO further north up the beach. So (and I know lots of you have been there), what would you suggest? Stay down near the action (Baja Joes area), or not? How far away from or north from the beach is too far? Gear rental recommendations? What about the all inclusive accommodation, gear, quad etc deals at prowindsurf (Wyatt and Tyson)? Thanks in advance. Stephen.
BA

Post by BA »

We've stayed in many of the LV resorts (Ventana Windsports twice) and rented a house last year. They all have their merits. Ventana Windsports is probably our favourite and had a good selection of windsurf gear, well run and good food. Right next to Joe's for happy hour and you can walk to most restaurants. Since you're going in March no need to worry about noise, it's pretty quiet by then. Ventana Bay is nice too if you choose to be further north. MartyD teaches there and would have info on WS gear.
BA
uddereef
Website Donor
Website Donor

La ventana March 2016

Post by uddereef »

Steve, think it's over by March. Maui.
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

Not if you kite!
Why aren't YOU out there?
goflyakite

La Ventana

Post by goflyakite »

We have gone in March for the past five years and we have kited at least 50% of the time. The years have varied from really good to only sailing half the time. It is a great time to be there temperature wise!
I kitesurf.......therefore I am.
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

I know it is likely to be light(er). It is primarily for a family trip and to let the boys do some kiting. Maui was a little hectic when we were there in February a few years ago. Kanaha gusting 15-35.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

We are thinking of going around then maybe too.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

We are 6 km from Joes and about 1.5km to the hotsprings. We have windsurf and kite rentals for guests and a huge semi-private beach. You can get a windsurf/kite package with sports gear and meals included. www.ventanabay.com
March is like Aug at Nat. Hit or miss with some great days mixed in. Warm water! The best Norte I have ever ridden was March 16th.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Its too bad all the Baja tourist trade runs on US dollar prices - its made it 30% more expensive for Canadians than it was a few years ago, even though the Peso hasn't changed much compared to the Canadian dollar in the same time. I noticed last year whenever I asked to pay in pesos, the clerks would punch in the american dollar amount to figure out what the pesos would be, so no break at all.

I don't think many hotels/sports venues in BC price everything in US dollars?
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Great business idea MF4!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

more force 4 wrote:I don't think many hotels/sports venues in BC price everything in US dollars?
all my new/demo equipment is in USD..... I take a lot of flak for it but I am directly linked with US priced product/shipping costs and not inventory based....if they advertise in Pesos you should be able to pay in Pesos.... :arrow:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
BigD

La MarVentana

Post by BigD »

I stayed at Baja Joe's and ProWindsurf last March. Both places were awesome for different reasons. I sailed about 6 of of 9 days. 3 were higher wind 20-24 knot sessions.

At Joe's I stayed with a bunch of friends(kiters) so we had a blast during the apres portion of the day. They also have amazing coffee in the morning. Also if you see a guy in a beat up minivan selling doughnuts and juice out of the back make sure you get some!!! I walked down the beach to ProWindsurf (about 10min) when the wind came up, I arranged to rent gear only for the first part of my trip. Really nice having all the gear rigged and ready. Big selection of rigs as well.

For the latter half of the trip I stayed at ProWindsurf. They have several casitas of varying sizes. JR from Makani fins was there with his family (3 kids) they had a great place which was perfect for them. I'm going to try to bring the family don there once the kids are a bit older. I had a 1bd/1bathwhich was very clean and nice. It is very quiet at Prowindsurf but you can easily walk or drive to the action. They provide ATV's which are an awesome way to get around town. No need for a car unless the kids are too young to walk longer distances.

Here is a vid from our trip. I plan on going back as soon as I have enough credits. 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQUhR5N0KZI
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

Flights booked - March 13 - 24! Thanks for all the advice. Still considering the options.