Renting gear in Maui

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

That's worst case assuming they charge you. They often don't. You can fit a lot of gear into a big board bag and make the 100lb limit. Then once you're there head straight go the beach.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

renegade wrote: If you bring another boom (one of us is flying on Alaska and one on Air Canada), is a boom considered oversize? Any extra fees?

Thx
Last year I took a boom 3 sails and 2 masts in a quiver bag. I was on Air Canada and on the way there it was no problem, I was only charged $25. On the way back I had a bit of a problem but managed to get it on with only the $25 dollar charge but the check in lady said next time make sure I pay online before check in to avoid the hassle.
You can go to Air Canada's site to check the length for oversize and mine was just under. Also don't mention the word windsurfing, it seems to be taboo at Air Canada. I said it was my standup paddle board paddles and extra surfing stuff.

Board swap is great at Kanaha Kai for morning SUP afternoon windsurf!

SUP at Ukumehame Park/ 1000 Peaks, at least once but watch the shallow reef. Also this can be a great place to snorkel early in the morning at around the mile 14 marker. It will get busy later on and you need to swim a ways out to see the good stuff but it's a huge reef as you can see from the satellite image and it's nice and shallow.

Renting from Matt is also good but make sure you pre order the size you want. I wanted to test the 102 Pocket Wave and he only had one which was rented the whole time I was there. Actually if you want to get a board over 100L they are hard to come by. Most places only have a few and they were all gone when I was there in March. I ended up getting a 103L Kode Wave one day and a 100 Evo the other day that the wind was light. Most days though I was on a 86L Pocket Wave from Matt.
The other problem with renting gear from Matt is it's all Tabou and once you've ridden the Pocket Wave you might be faced with buying a whole new quiver of boards. :D Do take a lesson from him if you can it's a lot of fun and he's a great teacher as well as a great guy. Oh ya and he takes some nice photos!

Attachments
Ukumehame.jpg
Ukumehame.jpg (144.34 KiB) Viewed 1587 times
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

nanmoo wrote: Get roadstar plus from ICBC for $12 which covers your rental insurance for the year.
did that btw and found the policy is full of holes where u end up with a little surprise :roll: I have since cancelled roadstar and gotten back to BCAA....then also just paid $850 for a tow in Oregon after BCAA bowed out of coverage with no explanation, then they kindly issued me a condolences cheque for $150 saying all their exclusions of coverage are on some obscure page on their internet site....this AFTER I chased down some personal invoice for 5 months that I apparently needed and never got....but had two other receipts....not impressed.
There are many guys renting their vehicles privately on Maui and I have heard very good things, check Craigslist! My brother-in-law rented two motorcycles, top notch in shape and performance and service, delivered to the door another person rented a car with no probs, clean but older, worked fine. free airport pick up and drop off....this was another huge issue when I rented a van last time.....nobody to take you and your zillion bags to the airport and taxis won't pack windsurf gear!! So early check in first!
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

All the ghetto companies leave the car at the airport for you to pick up and same for you to drop off. Come to think of it last year someone hit and ran on our rental and we uses the Mastercard insurance for that. Bit of a run around from the rental company as the owner still thinks he's in Argentina and cab just pocket the cash but eventually it was paid 100% when the guy issued them a bogus repair receipt. No cash out of my pocket so....
Don't forget to bring a towel!