Lessons in Nitinat in June ?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Jaksent

Lessons in Nitinat in June ?

Post by Jaksent »

Has anybody decided on a start date for Kiteboard lessons at Nitinat for June ? I have some time off and would rather embarrass myself with a small audience than a beach full of critics in the middle of summer. :roll:
It doesn't have to be at Nitinat, anywhere on the island would work...
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

A lot depends on the weather but I'd be flabbergasted if there weren't lessons running by June.
I'd recommend getting in touch with MartyD/Strong Kiteboarding, they can give you a call if they have space and the forecast looks decent. When I was starting out I did lessons with Marty in late April (obviously that's not going to be the case with the weather this year).

Historically May should bring decent kiting at Nitinat, but this year we seem to be 4-5 degrees/a month behind average temperatures right now, with the weather stuck in the ugly loop that keeps repeating.
knottyPat

Post by knottyPat »

Agree with SmallWave Steve! You should be fine in June but check the weather for Alberni to make sure the lake blows. Don't worry about the audience. Worry about getting good consistent wind so that you learn faster & better. We all got our asses handed to us in the first sessions so don't worry about that. The great schools at the lake will ensure you'll be safe and the Sea-Doos will give you way more board time at first!