Wingfoiling Progression

General discussions about wingfoiling: equipment, tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, pump safety.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Most boat stores sell it. You can find it online too, from places that sell foil gear.

I think "TefGel" is a brand name ... there may be other brandnames for anti seize lubricants with teflon built in.

https://kiteboarding.com/proddetail.asp ... gel&cat=42

https://www.westmarine.com/tef-gel

https://ca.binnacle.com/p8658/Ultra-Tef ... _info.html

https://www.amazon.ca/TG-02-corrosion-e ... B00CEF65T4 (seems overpriced)
UnusuallyLargeRobin

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

In Victoria, Trotac Marine carries it (TefGel); on Jutland off Gorge Rd
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
Windjunky
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Windjunky »

Thanks I will get some
Windjunky
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Windjunky »

Wondering about setup for foil in a track my windsurf board has a tuttle so no adjustment , where do you start with wing foiling ,foil in middle ? further forward? Or depends on foil size ? Gonna give foil a go at willows today.
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

I had my second session yesterday, one where I had enough wind to get up on the foil, and although it only lasted one reach it was awesome! I love it, I'm so stoked about the potential of this sport, can't wait until tomorrow when there is enough wind to hopefully get comfortable on the foil. Anyways I had a little break from work today and I went back to the beginning of this thread and read all the posts. I just want to say thanks for everyone for contributing, lots of great advice and now that I had a few sessions with the wing they make more sense. Hopefully I can make it over to the Island this spring or summer and get some winging in with you guys. Has anyone gone out at Long Beach yet? I was looking back at some of my light wind Long Beach windsurfing videos the other day and picturing what it will be like winging, can't wait to try it!
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

Made a super kook move today. When trying to come in for a break I got tangled up in my wing leash in the shore break so I undid the leash to change it to my downwind arm and a gust ripped it out of my hands. Luckily a friend was onshore and was able to grab it. A few observations from today... one I need a waist leash, felt like my wing was going to rip my arm off at times, it's like walking my dog when he sees a cat and you're not paying attention. Two, I need a smaller board, The 7'4" Hypernut was feeling really big today.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Tsawwassen wrote:Has anyone gone out at Long Beach yet? I was looking back at some of my light wind Long Beach windsurfing videos the other day and picturing what it will be like winging, can't wait to try it!
Lots of wings at SC, LB and the other spot. Best thing that has happened in awhile as it's displaced some regulars from one part of the wave to another and spaced things out. There was one day at LB in the summer where the outside bar wasn't breaking and wing really made sense on it. Closeout days though look a bit hairy if you push your luck inside.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
slake
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by slake »

I'm trying to sort out some towing on a lake to figure out the foil. Nothing confirmed yet but I have 3 contacts I've inquired with, hopefully one pans out into something.

Have been using the wing with an iSUP but find it hard to stay upwind so far (it is 12'6" with a single fin). If there is not enough wind to foil is there any point to simply going in the water with the board (Sky Wing 110L) + foil to figure out balance (either by paddling around or using the wing)? Or is that simply a waste of time?

Plan is to keep figuring out the wing with iSUP, while looking for a tow. If the tow proves elusive I might just have to get after it on the lake (a little leery of that with no foil experience). One thing I noticed with stronger winds is it helps to have figured out how to flip the wing when inverted on land, rather than struggle with it on the water.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Paddling around and learning how the board and foil feel under foot can't hurt, it's good exercise, and more time on the water is always good. In terms of direct training for wingfoiling, beyond an hour it's probably pretty minimal help, but no harm.

For using your sup without a foil, people have mentioned online that these help: https://kiteridersllc.com/product/slingshot-sup-winder/

Just like windsurfing light wind, a big dagger board helps to stay upwind.
slake
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by slake »

Cool...I'm stoked to just put the real board with foil in the water, even with little to no wind.

I've seen the sUP WINDer, and also Duotone has a drift stopper, like a leeboard on both sides. I realize though I don't want to wing on the iSUP for very long. It is ok for a few rides to play around with the wing on the water. If I can figure out upwind great, if not I have exit plans. These guys supposedly have no centreboard - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFjpLpOt3FQ . There were times I felt I was above a beam reach. Just ended up with an inverted wing for too long and had bad transitions on the SUP. If I sort out those two things I might be able to maintain my position to windward. Doubt I'll get going upwind much, but at least come back to the same spot.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Flipping the wing....one of those silly things that should be easy, but can be surprisingly difficult. I find it is way easier to do when you are in the water, versus attempting it on the board. I virtually never attempt it on the board.

When doing it, try and position it so the wind is assisting you, in lifting the wing up and over -- versus an angle where it is pushing it down. You can't overpower the wing. It's like jiu jitsu or some such, you need to use your opponents strength as a tool. Turn the wingtip over, such that the wind turns the rest over for you. "Easy once you know how" :-)
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

For me learning the wing with a skateboard worked very well because the rolling resistance is not dissimilar to being on the foil where pushing a board through water is much more. Less walking up wind and can do it at night.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

grantmac wrote:For me learning the wing with a skateboard worked very well because the rolling resistance is not dissimilar to being on the foil where pushing a board through water is much more. Less walking up wind and can do it at night.
The ukee guys have been mountain boarding on sand with a wing and it's working really, really well with less sketchiness/potential for nailing a windsurf rig.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

nanmoo wrote: Lots of wings at SC, LB and the other spot. Best thing that has happened in awhile as it's displaced some regulars from one part of the wave to another and spaced things out. There was one day at LB in the summer where the outside bar wasn't breaking and wing really made sense on it. Closeout days though look a bit hairy if you push your luck inside.
After getting worked in the shore break at Tsawwassen I think I need a bit more time on the water before I can attempt Long Beach. I've been totally worked out there just trying to get out through the break with my SUP. Hopefully by the time the travel restrictions have been lifted and I've gotten my vaccine, I'll be comfortable enough to give it a go.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

TLDR edition:

Onward with progression: I picked up a 77L board (I'm 6.5 and close to 210 in rubber) and rode it for the first time Sunday. 1st run out I got up relatively easily in flat water and cockily beelined it for the swell line. Stance felt weird on the board initially but it was working well enough to bear off and catch a swell to drift. Got in, drifted, marvelled at the feel of riding a smaller board, giggled a bit then kicked out to jibe. Overfoiled, splat. No big deal, I got up my first try last time, I thought to myself. Fail. Fail again. And again. The swell was screwing with me while balancing on my knees trying to draw the wing overhead to get stable while the board tried to eject away. Drifting fast down wind. Try a water start a la windsurfing style. Comedy. No way. More drifting. Landon offers to trade boards. He battles the poor foil position (turns out way too far forward on little board = bucking bronco). I end up paddling in. Second session goes better with foil in centre of tracks but my solution for clearing the wing was still hit and miss. Ended up swimming more than sailing. Went on to the wing forums and lookee here; our own Robin M posted this technique:

Hey cnksi, I'll be interested to see if you are doing what I've been doing also. I have a 5'0 SkyWing, 75 lt and I weigh ~93-95kg in full rubber, boots, hood, so close to your -20 lt to weight ratio. At that length and volume it's not a sinker for me, but it's a b$#$ch to get on to knee start, especially in very light wind. I cannot just mount the board on my knees with the wing floating beside me. My method has to be done quick to get to knee start and balanced on board with wing overhead. The steps are literally done as fast as possible 3-4 seconds or you're stuck in unstable no balance no mans land!
1. I'm in water next to board, I hold my wing in front hand on the handle that I prefer to wing with (2 back) with forearm resting on deck of board near front straps.
2. Still holding wing in front hand, push up onto board with my front elbow/forearm and back hand/forearm, the front hand has to draw the wing over my head to windward while i get my chest up onto board. I'm also getting my front leg/knee sliding into position, while simultaneously getting back knee onto board.
3. Almost immediately, once I've slid knees into position and semi sprawled under wing on the board, I quickly reach for back handle and immediately power up the wing to be able to use it for balance and finalize/stabilize my knee start position.
4. Once I'm in classic knee start position with wing powered up overhead, it's all normal from there and doable.

Clear as mud from my description! I've been doing this since last summer when I got the board as I found it was the only way to ever get up and going for me. I do it in all conditions, big wind swell, big wind (35+) and on the lightest end as possible (10 ish? to get to knees then stay that way till gust to get to feet and fly). I've tried to explain it, but there's no comparison to seeing it done, never seen anyone do it online in video, and I've never had it video'd Something to do some day I guess. I suspect your board may be a tad easier as it's longer and wider, but I'm sure still sketchy at your float to weight ratio. Anyway, very interested to hear/see what it is you're doing! Cheers and happy winging!

Thanks for this, Robin!

I hope this works or my 77L is up for sale :lol:
Poultry in motion