New windsurfer

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
winddude

Post by winddude »

for sure! A week or two of sailing in consistent conditions, will do a lot more then sailing one or two weeks spread over a few months. Plus a lot of the windsurfing destinations there's wind from the morning until evening.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
jbatsea
Website Donor
Website Donor

New Windsurfer

Post by jbatsea »

My daughter and I went to IV yesterday (Dec 1st). I was trying to help her to do a WS water-start. (sorry, I'm a kiteboarder). My daughter is 25, and looking for lessons and / or advice. We live in Victoria. We're also in the market for beginner gear. I bought her a board at Nitnat at the end of the season, but it is an 8'10" high performance board (not for a beginner). We are borrowing mast and sail (if we have not already worn out our welcome)She is up and WS-ing, (this summer at NN), but needs work to improve technique, and she wants to learn to water-start. Any assistance possible for winter lessons? She is fit, a surfer, and has proper wetsuit / booties / gloves. Thx, now I'll get back to the KS side of the board!!
HiyoSilver

Post by HiyoSilver »

If you guys come up to Columbia Beach, I don't mind to show your daughter some stuff... But safety might be a concern...? Maybe Nanoose Bay or Ladysmith would be a better option??
I'm in the Cowichan Valley, so don't go to Vic too often. Maybe KUS can help there?
jbatsea
Website Donor
Website Donor

new windsurfer

Post by jbatsea »

Ok Thx! Will check wind conditions in Ladysmith, looks like IV is going ballistic next couple of days. Maybe KUS has some ideas for vic area, thx again, jb
JL

Post by JL »

Attachments
Pic
Pic
IVcam_2.jpg (66.11 KiB) Viewed 3555 times
Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I can do gear or w start lesson (so can many others) but winter's not the best, nevertheless perhaps it can be done, Moo learned in winter in the slimy E Lagoon :lol: gear is mostly in French Creek to view/decide. SE beaches not too learner friendly due to shorebreak, perhaps San Pariel tho lighter inside, Comox? Would be safe...nothing worth trying in Ladysmith for sure....come to CB tomorrow or Saturday for an intro....
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I'm happy to try and provide help; I get tired and don't windsurf/kite for long before needing a break! Its pretty brutal to learn waterstarts etc here in the winter, though I think Nanmoo started at IV January 1 about 5 years ago and was waterstarting not long after. Island View can be not too bad with bigger sails and wind <20 knots, before the big shore break starts pounding. Columbia or SP might have bigger waves but it seems way less intimidating there to me. I think mostly because the wind is more sideshore? On the other hand you don't want to be attempting to uphaul when tired and getting blown/drifted offshore. Maybe starting a little further towards French Creek would sort that at CB?

Maui, Baja, Caribbean seem sooooo much more attractive for putting in the TOW to learn basic skills though.....!!
winddude

Post by winddude »

Nanoose bay will probably be a good place to work on water starts tomorrow and Sat. It always looks like a good freestyle spot driving by on the highway. Relatively flat water, consistent wind, and what looks like a sandy launch.

Not sure on her level, but I have beginner gear I can do a lesson at Elk Lake on a light to moderate day, so let me know if she's interested. Sorry windy days are too far and in between for me to teach on, and I've put in my time as an instructor to pass them up now.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I have this feeling that the water quality in Esq. lagoon was better back when I learnt to sail there.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
scarlet

new windsurfer

Post by scarlet »

Suggest Pipers Lagoon next few days
jbatsea
Website Donor
Website Donor

New Windsurfer

Post by jbatsea »

Newbie will be surfing (not windsurfing) tomorrow and Saturday. Will find out if Monday looks good for vic area, IV, Willows or Elk. and if someone might be available to assist her. Appreciate all the info, and especially the photo of us floundering around in the surf on Monday at IV, JL!! thx for the memories...
HiyoSilver

Post by HiyoSilver »

I just posted a link in a new thread for a great wsurf instruction site where you can videos explaining basic stuff like beach start and waterstart as well: http://bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 4760#44760
Check it out, might help :)
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

No offence or anything, but I am curious why the student isn't posting themselves for this information?
Don't forget to bring a towel!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Dad trying to encourage stoke so wind adventures can be shared with family members...been there...failed :roll: encouragement/investment efforts were inversely proportional to induced stoke in others I have found...and that I also tried to teach...big mistake there :oops:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
jbatsea
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by jbatsea »

Will log in and check out the teaching beta. Thx! 'Student' not posting herself as 'student' has not bothered to register with BWD (too difficult), and she has a charming, but overbearing father for that. Also warnings of WS being a 'sausage fest' by certain un-named bloggers might have made her a bit gun shy!!

"Hiyo only teaches girls. There it is, we've decided for him. This sport is already a sausage fest."

Also, i believe 'student' has already had a lesson with Hiyo earlier this year up at NN!