New windsurfer

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
windsurf-girl

New windsurfer

Post by windsurf-girl »

Hey everyone! I've just took some beginner windsurf lessons at hood river and found out I really like it. Is there any place you can take lessons and/or rent windsurfing equipment on the Island? I've been looking at Nitinat lake, but all can find is kiteboarding lessons. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

The only place I can think of is Parksville bay. Kevin Forsyth rents windsurf gear there and also gives lessons I believe. Here is what I found on him. Give him a call if you are in the area. Also I'm sure plenty of others can offer help and tips to get your skills up faster! Good Luck, Ray
http://www.vivacations.ca/local-area-guide.asp?cat=2423
Last edited by rvanderbyl on Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why aren't YOU out there?
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Two in one week? A unicorn next!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

This one's a bot fer sure😄
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
HiyoSilver

Post by HiyoSilver »

Welcome!! We need more windsurfer(girl)s :)

I can give lessons (have an instructor ticket) on your own gear. I have an old board that you could use, but its a little harder (less stable) than the newer gear you probably sailed on in the Gorge. We could meet at Nitinat or some other lake convenient for both. -Where do you live?

You could try to pick up some gear here on the buy and sell - sometimes beginner gear comes up for sale - or post a wanted ad... Or try usedvictoria/craigslist/kijiji. -But beware of people trying to sell off their old gear for exorbitant prices! (see http://bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7403)
tbrown

Post by tbrown »

HiyoSilver wrote:Welcome!! We need more windsurfer(girl)s :)

I can give lessons (have an instructor ticket) on your own gear. ...
not to hijack someone else's thread, but assuming you're willing to teach guys too, IMHO it would be worth having an idea of who is willing to teach. There certainly have been times over this summer where I would have happily paid for (gybing) lessons... That said, I am a cheap bugger so it would likely make the most sense where folks were already out. $50 doesn't go very far if you gotta drive to nitnat to earn it ... but perhaps if you were already there?

-Tom
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Hiyo only teaches girls. There it is, we've decided for him. This sport is already a sausage fest.
HiyoSilver

Post by HiyoSilver »

:lol: Thanks for deciding for me, Tony. I guess it would be best to just teach girls to balance things out :P

But seriously, I would totally be willing to teach guys, too! And sure, if I'm already there, I would be willing to teach for less :) Just ask! I haven't really thought about rates etc. Just like to share the stoke and get people on the water having fun!! I guess I just want something to compensate my time off the water (as in not windsurfing ;)), and gas if appl.

I have to say though, that my teaching skills cover only beginner/intermediate technique; ie up to waterstart, basic gybing and basic jumping. After that I don't feel qualified/skilled enough to teach...
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

You're welcome. Someone has to make these difficult decisions.
windsurf-girl

Post by windsurf-girl »

HiyoSilver wrote:Welcome!! We need more windsurfer(girl)s :)

I can give lessons (have an instructor ticket) on your own gear. I have an old board that you could use, but its a little harder (less stable) than the newer gear you probably sailed on in the Gorge. We could meet at Nitinat or some other lake convenient for both. -Where do you live?

You could try to pick up some gear here on the buy and sell - sometimes beginner gear comes up for sale - or post a wanted ad... Or try usedvictoria/craigslist/kijiji. -But beware of people trying to sell off their old gear for exorbitant prices! (see http://bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7403)
Thanks so much for the help. I'm actually learning with my father as well so I would have to talk to him about it. I live in Cordova Bay so I'm right near Elk Lake which is one of the main reasons I wanted to try windsurfing because it would be so convenient to windsurf there in the winter if I got good enough!
HiyoSilver

Post by HiyoSilver »

Elk lake could work... it's only an hour away for me (I live near Duncan).
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

I think Elk Lake would be too gusty in the winter especially for water starting. Unless there it's a lighter day and you are uphauling the sail then it would be very pleasant, but you likely won't be planing. I had years of fun when I was young not planing. I think we were watching you learn with your father at Nitinat and you are doing well. Keep it up! There is so much fun in this sport ahead of you!
curses - foiled again!
tbrown

Post by tbrown »

I copied some of Jesse's (RedBaron) notes into my files from this (good) "Westerly sailing spots for beginners thread:
Elk lake is great for beginning wsurfing, I spent a bit a time there in the
past. I found with a strong westerly, if kelp reef and
vicairport are blowing west, Elk lake is good. If kelp reef is blowing
SE on a westerly elk lake is gusty and best try Island view.
Unfortunately, in my experience, the good conditions he describes are rare, the westerly almost always hooks around Victoria and blows up toward Sidney (S / SE). And of course, the westerly is the summer wind.

+1 on enjoying windsurfing without planing. When you do get used to planing, you won't enjoy non-planing very much. -Tom
winddude

Post by winddude »

Willows on a E-SE. On westerly in the winter, which is pretty damn rare, safest place would probably be sooke basin or the spit in sooke.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
Jfish

Post by Jfish »

I know the question was specific to the island - places and gear, but I can't help but mention...
There's always Maui from February on. Nice family trip to somewhere warm in the winter. :D

Or the Baja, or Bonaire and many more.

Sometimes a week on the water somewhere else during the winter is a great thing. Back to back days of sailing that you can get in place like Maui always seemed to improve my sailing more then a day here and there, which is what we get waiting on our winter storms.

Not to mention, when learning it was nice to be somewhere warm because of the time spent in the water.