Webphone and wind alerts

What's new on the website
bwd
Developer
Developer

Webphone and wind alerts

Post by bwd »

You can check the BWD on your cell phone. You need a phone that can can access the web. Most new cell phones have this. It only costs 2c each time you check the page. There are no other costs. Let me know if you need help setting this up. A good phone is the LG 520 ($49 with 3 year plan) or the Samsung a540 ($99 with three year plan).

The browser on the web phone seems to be able to only handle htm type files. So you have to type in the url http://bigwavedave.ca/pda.htm or http://bigwavedave.ca/pda2.htm.

I am also experimenting with instant text messaging i.e. wind alerts on your cell phone. With Telus, you can pay a flat rate of $5 per month for unlimited incoming instant messaging. My weather program will send out alerts to your cell phone if, for example, Sheringham or Gonzales > 18 knots. It also sends out updated marine forecasts. Again let me know if you are interested in this.
wind_dummy

Post by wind_dummy »

awesome work Dave!

it took me a few times to figure out which URL worked on my phone, but I finally got it.

loads nice and fast, and I like the fact that you include LaPerouse with the wave hight
:D
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Hey iserf:

Glad it works - I find it useful when I'm not near the computer and I don't want to spend 1/2 hr trying to get the Sheringham report from the stupid marine radio.

For some reason the phone always caches/shows the old page you looked at. You have to go back to the main browser menu and do a refresh every time to get the latest page. Kind of annoying but it only takes a few seconds. I haven't got my first Telus bill yet so I don't know what exactly they charge for - but at 2c a page you would have to be checking the weather a lot to make it significant.

dave