Big westerly

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

bwd
Developer
Developer

Big westerly

Post by bwd »

Today looks good for a westerly. If you haven't heard yet, Dallas Road access might be closed off until 1pm today -http://www.royalvictoriamarathon.com/course.php. So unless you join the race and carry your gear in, you won't be sailing until afternoon. I'm heading to JR now - Sheringham W22 and La Perouse 23ft 16s.

dave
Chris

Post by Chris »

How was JR?

Columbia was really good yesterday, most guys on 4.5s and 4.7s. Decent down the line sailing - not super big but fun shoulder high waves to turn rip! Had the first session on my Evo. Felt perfect for Columbia's conditions and was super loose on the wave. Man I love that beach!!

Paul Luksay was throwing some super nice pushies and forwards, and the rest of the local crew there was ripping. Just a few of us representin' Victoria. Where were y'all?

Looks like KooK st. went off today (I got back into town late).
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Chris wrote:How was JR?
Hey Chris:

Columbia sounded good and I almost went up there. We'all were at Island View. It was 4.7 most of the day, although it was a little on shore but the wave were good.

JR was absolutely epic today (3 thumbs up). I got there in the morning and it was squally and rainy and it looked hopeless. But by 1pm or so the wind finally came in big time and it turned 4.0. Lots of good rides with maybe 8-10 foot waves, with the odd mast high wave. Great for powered up wave riding and big jumps. It blew until dark. A rare day out there I think.

News was that Kook Str went off 4.0 today too from 3pm and only 3 windsurfers out. Where was everyone? Oh yeah I guess they were at JR.
Chris

Post by Chris »

SCORE!!!!

I am so green with envy. Sounds like like it was an all time day for windboarderz at JR. I hope someone got some pics???
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Chris wrote:I hope someone got some pics???
I took a few pics, so did Randy and Rob took some video. My pics don't really show the size of the waves - here is a sample. I'll post the rest soon.

morewind

Post by morewind »

here's the Kook st report - got on the water around 3:15 with a 4.7. Good b&j sailing on decent swell, and then after about 20min or so it was 4.0 conditions. Good driving rain to keep you cool. With a thanksgiving dinner obligation looming I tightened up the 4.7 and kept charging until around 4:30. Pretty good waves for cook st - had one jack-up-steep-wave-jump that pitched me backward and had me looking almost back at the beach - a little freeky ... had the whole place to myself which was really odd. Don and Tim were rigging 4.0s and 3.7s when I peeled out around 5pm. They likely had a blast

Sounds like a wicked JR day 4.0 and logo - unbelievable. Might have to try JR again - I'm starting to forget all the times of getting skunked out there.

Mike
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

What a weekend!

Finally off the Ibuprofin from the hardest catapault I've ever had. Esquimalt Lagoon was stupid Sunday 2:30-5:00 PM, gusting from 0 to 35-40 kt & sometimes higher. Big gust caught me on my 4.9 just after leaving the beach and getting in back footstrap (couldn't see it coming, wind offshore). First run of the session, surprised I didn't break anything, me or gear, but found out that night -- and the next day -- and the next -- that I had pulled every muscle from jaw to knees - had to drink beer from can using one hand to support my head when the level dropped. "Rob" (?) was out there disappearing into the grey, shredding and making it look, if not easy, at least possible. I had some more runs on the inside of the lagoon and gave up in time for Thanksgiving dinner.

Saturday I watched the heroes at Island View for a while, then slunk down to Bazan Bay to learn to jibe better first. Pretty gusty, and underpowered on the 4.9.

Hey, is there anywhere less gusty when its blowing westerly that doesn't involve risking life and limb at KOOK St for us old guys who are still working on the basics?
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Bobson »

more force 4 wrote:What a weekend!
Hey MF4, I'm the fella that was out there with you at Bazan Bay on Saturday on my Go and way underpowered on my 4.5. On heavy westerlies >25 knots Elk lake is good for practicing jybes etc. It's usually gusty but good for practicing and speed runs and nice as the waves don't get too insane and is always safe. The fella that showed up as we we're leaving at Bazan Bay came to Elk Lake on Sunday. A few others at Elk on Sunday too, 5 of us in all. Also good on Westerlies is Pat Bay which has some larger waves but still good for intermediates. I've got myself a smaller board for the heavy wind days so if you're thinking of going out again send me an email as it's always nice to have someone with similar skills to sail with. ()