Island View Today

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Island View Today

Post by Bobson »

Hey BWD, Pretty good day at Island View today :wink: :D :D . Got there at 9:15 and Jimmy aka - Marvin the Martian had just arrived as well. It was blowing about 10-15 but there was a large swell as the SE was already blowing at Kelp Reef and was just starting to fill in at I.V. I rigged up the 6.9 and Marvin was getting his 12m kite blown up. Went out and it was blowing about 15 and the swells were getting larger and I was getting wet. Practicing waterstarts in big swells is tough. The winds let up for awhile and Marvin ended up down the beach somewhere. He looked close to the beach so I left him to his own devices. He walked it back about 45 minutes later to my relief(only a bit worried). It started blowing more now and the surf was large and rigging up the 5.8 and trying to get out through the shore break would have been difficult with my large barge so I called it quits at 11:30am and followed MF4 to Bazan with Mike and Chris came too. Too many logs in the shore break(leg breakers) and very light for the 500 meters. I went home for lunch and to warm up. Mike was staying to wait for it to fill in closer to shore and I'm not sure if Chris made it out or not. MF4 went to Willows and he can let you know how it went. So all in all, 2 hours of up and down sailing(mostly down) but got 4 good waterstarts and 2-3 botched jybes in....so a pretty good 2 hours!! It's 6pm and it's still blowing 30 knots downtown and in Sooke. Hope your enjoying the Sault!!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

](*,) BWD you didn't miss too much this AM/early PM. I got to Willows, could see 3 or 4 boards powered up as I drove down Beach Dr. 4.5 to overpowered on 5.0 - I rigged up and got to the sand and the wind gods pulled the power breaker - the wind shut down to nada in one or two minutes. I walked up to the tea house to wait for the next puff, joined about 8 guys watching poor sods wobble/swim in. It never rebuilt, but looked like it was going westerly, so I drove over the hump, but it was really light there too - had to bail and go home. So I got completely skunked - should have gone for it at IV. It was cranking again by 4 or 5, I hope someone got to sail it. ](*,)
JL

Island view nov.16

Post by JL »

:roll: Hey Bobson I was fine. Just another coast guard free kite session...You missed Mike & Dan kiteing down the line on 9 meter's..very cool...must practice... [smilie=beer.gif] ...jim
Thermals are good.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Hey guys thanks for keeping me up to date. It sounds like Island View was good. Did anyone catch Cook Street on Sun pm or Mon morning? My cell phone wind alerts work out here and it was painful to hear that Kelp reef was 32 knots... Being away sure makes you appreciate BC and the island sailing!

dave
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
JL

Post by JL »

:D Fri. Dec 5 rocked...very dynamic 12 meter kiting with a s.e. groundswell, nice of the c.r.d. to have heavy equipment dropping logs of the boat ramp to add to the launch exitement. Nathan very happy with his new starboard. Nice vulcans, table tops etc....18-25 knots...blew all night....Sat. a.m. 8:00 reports show a reasonable s.e.......here we go again...Jim...
Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

:( 12 meter 9 a.m. [Dec.24} Kite caught on crab pot & swam in!!Police ambulance & emergency vehicles on scene. Damaged kite picked up by James Is. rescue & transfered to coast guard aux.....picked up at James Is. Wharf...Merry Christmas! Jimmy Lewis...
Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

:) Bobson: I thought i'd recycle this topic. I feel bad about yesterdays forecast. I hope to try I-view this morning. Any chance of you making it down....I leave the beach for work @ 1....Jim
Thermals are good.
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Today

Post by Bobson »

:( hey Marv, Unfortunately I'm stuck @ work today until 3:30pm. Oh well! Martian-dude, don't worry about yesterday, I was going to go regardless as it looked perfect 9.0 weather just got stuck doing chores. You're weather info is invaluable, don't stop. Your predictions help me decide if I should go everyday....it's all about learning about the wind and what makes it go and what makes it stop.

TO ALL WIND-DUDES,
HEY, if anyone has the book 'The wind blew all ways' and wants to lend it to a wind-learner that is too cheap to purchase one for himself....please let me know. Shanks! :D
mshepard

Post by mshepard »

Do you mean "The wind came all ways : a quest to understand the winds, waves and weather in the Georgia Basin" If so the library has 8 copies.

http://gweb.gvpl.ca:8000/WebZ/GeacFETCH ... currecno=1
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

KiteKing Rules

Post by Bobson »

:D KK-Dude, YOU RULE! I forgot about the library!! Thanx for the link and not just saying 'try the library'...you are 'The KiteKing!' :D
JL

Post by JL »

8) Bobson: I'm a sensitive weather guy!! Your not missing much. Maybe later!
Thermals are good.