Aren't we lucky on the island?

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Aren't we lucky on the island?

Post by KUS »

Insomnia again, just killed my throbbing headache with a T3 so I'm just kinda rambling here but just read a great December windlog from Kingston, Ontario:
"I sailed back to the parking lot and started hearing "Ding, Ding, Ding!" which turned out to be small pieces of ice hitting the board/fin. I neglected to notice about 30 feet of broken ice packed against the shore. It won't be too long before its frozen over...

Couple lessons learned:
- Don't walk through pack ice near the shore when there are big waves; it hurts the legs!
- The "hunter's reflex" really works; two fingertips were cold after about 10 minutes so I took a short break, they warmed up and then I was toasty warm,
- I checked the air temp at noon (zero) but forgot to check before I hit the water; it was -4 and surprisingly not too bad. I had to dip the boom underwater occasionally to melt off the ice :shock: but other than that it was great!"
and I am once again reminded how lucky we are on this island not just be cause of the great wind but comparatively great temps. I know you can always retreat down south in winter to escape some of the cold but then you might have more boring windlogs, like "gee...warm again today, water's also warm....generally sometimes too warm, beer's getting warm :evil: ". Winter sailing is a great experience, love sailing from my home 12 months of the year!! :P
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

Yup. All things considered, this is paradise on earth :)
Signature Block.
chewy

Post by chewy »

I went all around the world while I was in the military and no place compared to the Island (except Australia), we are extremely lucky here.
windwoman

Shh....Secret Spot

Post by windwoman »

Yes, I agree. The Island is one of those special places where we can enjoy so many different things all year round. There can't be too many other spots in the world with our temperate climate......this week excluded.....where you can go windsurfing/kiting, kayaking, biking and skiing all within a few days of each other. Two years of living off the Island convinced me that I would never live anywhere else.
If we were really smart we would refer to the entire island as 'the secret spot.'