Nitinaht Windfest 2006

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

Wyatt Miller

Nitinaht Windfest 2006

Post by Wyatt Miller »

Hey to all who are concerned, especially the nitnat windsurf assoc. i am a pro windsurfer from california/the gorge. I was talking with tom sullivan in La Ventana about getting another wired like event going at nitnat this summer. I would be able to bring a group of pro sailors to run demos, free clinics and get a longboard freestyle comp going aswell as a pro expression session or even pro contest. Who else can I contact. My info is

Wyatt Miller

510-375-1934 USA
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

WIRED or something like it...

Post by Bobson »

I'm totally stoked :D to take the LEAD for organizing a WIRED-LIKE event but will need the help of others. After trying to organize racing last year I see how much work is involved. With some pro's suggesting they will come will make it much easier to get sponsorship and prizes but will also make it that much more important to do a professional job of organizing. I don't mind putting in time doing the planning and organizing that would be involved as long as I have others that are willing to do the same. The good news is we have many people that have been involved in the past WIRED events with a wealth of knowledge of what worked and what didn't which will be invaluable!!

I think 7 people would be all it would take. Others would need to step up and offer their support when needed but I think with a main group of 7 people we could make it happen.

So before I get back to Mr. Miller, I would need to talk to the other 6 people that would want to take this on and also like to hear from others that would be willing to help out when asked. I'm sure there are many other pro's that have come to, and loved, WIRED events in the past that would want to come again if they know about it before other events are planned.

Some jobs needed to be done would be:
- getting a committee organized to decide everything to do with the racing and events that weekend like what events will be run(racing slalom freestyle), where on the lake the courses are set up so as not to interfere with those who are not racing, who'll be in charge, who'll be the judges, when the events will take place, then.....
- creating a race notice and getting it out to as many people in as many places as possible as soon as possible so people can plan for that weekend. Hopefully there is not already an event on the Aug 5/6/7th weekend yet as that seems like the 'WIRED' weekend from the past.
- getting a committee boat organized and confirmed with a backup plan(just in case).
- getting sponsorship $$$ and/or prizes(I have a list of approx. 10 companies that are wind related and would probably be willing to chip it) which will be a good start.
- getting people on-board that are willing to spend some time that weekend doing jobs and not sailing like signing people up, collecting fee's, giving out race info, setting the course, conducting skippers meetings, sitting on the committee boat for all races, organizing activities for kids, organizing alternate events for that weekend if there is no wind(just in case), organizing some dinner/breakfasts for a large(hopefully) group, etc.
- getting safety issues sorted out in case of injury/emergency.
- confirming with the Native band the extra people(again hopefully) that will be attending to ensure there is adequate gas/food/ice/space etc.

These are just a few of the things that will need to be done and the sooner we get started the better the event will come off. So please put in your 2 cents worth ASAP so I can reply to Mr. Miller and hopefully some other pro's as well.

You can reply to this thread or Private Message me or send me an Email at
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
Geoff

Big Event

Post by Geoff »

Bobson;
First check that Band permission will be given and insurance is available, they didn't show much support for this sort of thing when Forestry/Band first managed site. You'll have to get Ministry permission also if they still have the area as a Forestry Rec Site. Do this before mobilizing for all the work required! Allow for the expense of having ALL the toilets pumped out BEFORE AND AFTER the event, that's not been too reliable even around long weekends in my experience the last few years and is a big expense.
TomS

Nitinat Event....

Post by TomS »

I've met Wyatt, and attended some of his freestyle clinics in Baja. Very very Impressive! I'm sure that he would bring a fun event and clinic to Nitinat.
It really depends on whether people would want to see the return of a Nitinat Event. That also means assembling a team doing the all work to bring it off. New people would need to step up. I'm sure the old WIRED (tired) crew could be asked for their advice.

Tom

and I'm sure the kiters would not want to be left out.
Every day of work takes 8 hours off your life.
JL

Post by JL »

delete
Last edited by JL on Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thermals are good.
wyatt miller

Wired like event

Post by wyatt miller »

I have talked to jude from the Nitinat visitors center and she seems totally stoked on the idea. She said she would be able to figure out insurance and the necessary permits, she also says that she has the boat sound equipment generator etc. I will have no problem garnering support from the windsurfing industry and getting prizes etc. I will also be able to bring a group of pros and instructors from the Gorge and Cali to run clinics, demos, and competitions. August sounds like the time to do it as there are other events in June and July in Cali and the Gorge. I think it would be a great event and it is exactly what the sport needs.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

OK, I can put up with one super crowded weekend, especially if it is an event co-sponsored by the Ditidaht Band. I'd love to see pro's sail, and have Jeff have some competition on the freestyle! I can sail upwind for some quiet time. I'd be willing to help organize. Be good if the pros could be around for a week, in case they hit a rainy/no wind spell.

Wyatt, Why long board freestyle? Does anyone do that any more? What is wrong with modern freestyle, for which lake conditions are perfect?

Post by Guest »

MF4,

Longboard freestyle can be done in sub-planing conditions if the wind no-shows. It's still pretty cool to see what good freestylers can do on a long board in light wind.

I'd love to see a new event like this bring in new blood. Seeing guys like Wyatt and Co. compete and sail live is worth camping in cramped quarters. It would be great to see a freestyle clinic done and demo some different gear. Kooks like myself can learn a lot from these clinics/competitions. The racing is great fun, but freestyle really gets the stoke factor up for a flat but windy place like Nitinat. The lake has world class freestyle (and slalom/formula) potential. These kinds of events bring a lot of good people together and are a lot of fun. I'm all for it.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Agreed, mystery Guest. I can see using longboards for a backup, but Nitinat is such a perfect spot for higher wind freestyle, and only longboards were mentioned in the initial post.

For light/no wind, I hope the board reps come and bring a Kona with a proper stand-up paddle (or two) and a Serenity (or two) for the outflows!

And those crazy Aquaskippers and their competition, the Pump-a-bike.
Strongkiteboarding

Post by Strongkiteboarding »

I will help anyway I can.
Rescue Craft, Satalite Phone. Gear transport,
wyatt miller

longboard freestyle

Post by wyatt miller »

Hey Everyone,
I have no problem with running a modern freestyle comp as well as long as there is wind. The idea with the longboard freestyle is if there is no wind we can run it and it is super fun for spectators. Secondly everyone can enter regardless of skill level. The past few years we ran King of the Hook in the gorge and another contest just like it in La Ventana, where costumes get you more points, as well as multiple people on a board at once, like having a kid on your shoulders or kids doing pyramids on the nose of the board while someone sails etc. Even a human dog team works. We judge on overall impression and the zaniest/smoothest most stylie team or individual wins. It also allows for multiple winners....best costume, best individual performance
...best team effort and so on. However if we got wind we can run this event in the morning with little to no wind and then a for real freestyle comp in the afternoon.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I'll be the guy in the lawnchair, doing a beer pirouette, cheering you all on :wink:

I'm good for first aid gear and attendant service, the crazy (kus)medic, get it, ha :P (ok, not funny I guess)

anyway....if I'm not too hammered by the time ya come around bleedin'....at that stage only whiskey/tequila for disinfectant, crazy glue for big cuts and biting the rubber universal joint for amputations work well :roll: ...I am qualified and able to fix you up well enough or at least keep you alive, let's not have one'a those tho, they're no fun at all :x

Looking forward to a sun/wind filled summer event 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Kus medics :roll:

I saw pics of the crazy longboard stuff at the gorge, I though the guy holding another guy on his shoulders and sailing with an upside down rig (top guy holding booms, mast tip on deck) was hilarious! OK, thats fun, I could work on training my dogs to stay on the board!

Would you bring the longboards? Usually only 0 or 1 or 2, 25 year old ones at the lake.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

yeah, this site bring out the best in me :D I kill me sometimes, woaha 8)

Seriously tho, first aid's a real event deal, just think of all the things that could happen :shock:

.....and me there, the hero, to step in and save the day...:twisted:

....or do CPR on you dog...., nope, on second thought :x
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
wyatt miller

Post by wyatt miller »

Hey Everyone,

It looks like we are going to schedule the event for the 12-13 of August. Jude from the Indian Band is going to take care of the permits and the insurance. She is meeting with the Ministry of Tourism and the Band Council later this week and she will set things in motion for getting the proper permits.