Ocean Rodeo Pyro Pro Drysuit Review

Post links to cool kiteboarding or windsurfing sites with photos, videos or technique.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Ocean Rodeo Pyro Pro Drysuit Review

Post by winddoctor »

Poultry in motion
Kite Kook

Post by Kite Kook »

dude, that last photo is just sooo you, it captures your essence :P
Vive et Ama
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

....and to think that could've been me in that suit demo :cry: Another chance at fame lost :roll:

.....I would have still let you and Steph write the review tho, Doc, maybe even paste your GQ looks into the pictures :D
Nice work 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
p h

Post by p h »

Kook St. Kite Kook wrote:dude, that last photo is just sooo you, it captures your essence :P
agreed ... you shood make that puppy your avatar doc :)

~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

Great article. I too have used an OR Pyro this past winter season, and had similar results. I bought a [barely] used 2005 one off Jeff from www.kitesource.ca here in Calgary. I used it twice windsurfing in December (CB and Piper's) when air temps were 8-10 degrees and water temps were ~7-8 (I think). It was eerie how impervious it made me to the cold! I wore it with polyester long underwear, an acrylic sweater and a full layer of fleece. I also had a great Sea-Tux neoprene hood and booties. I didn't need to wear gloves, I guess since my scorching core was able to pump warm blood through my hands. I sometimes even had to float around a bit in the waves to cool off. Standing on the windy beach between or after sessions I was still warm, even without the gloves and hood. It does cause some drag when swimming, and there was some wetness on my lower legs, but as you mention in the article, this was not noticable until I took the suit off. I was able to open/close the rear zip of the Pyro myself, with the aid of tie-down strap (the design of the 2006 Pyro Pro with the front zip looks brilliant). The construction looks very durable and well thought out.
TURTLE

Lookin' good

Post by TURTLE »

Mr. GQ -

I am definately considering warmer gear. My 4-3 in the winter is inadequate even with a 2 ml shorty under.

Turtle
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

I have used a Pyro for 3 winters. The amazing thing is that even if you get fairly wet inside (it sometimes happens after a hard wipe-out), you still stay warm. With a Pyro, cold is not an issue during Vancouver Island winters. One of the more important benefits that Chris points out, is that you stay toasty warm between sessions, or when you are just standing around-huge benefit.
Its all about the adventure and stoke!

Post by Guest »

Would any of you have tried this drysuit use it all the time, say durring an average day in June at the Gorge? Or do you still prefer to use a wetsuit when it gets a little warmer?
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Personally I prefer getting wet in the summer, however, quite a few people use them all year round, including at Nitnat,which has a similar summer water temp to the Gorge. You just put less clothing under it. That is the beauty of it, you layer up according to the water and air temp.
TURTLE

Dry suit?

Post by TURTLE »

How is a dry suit surfing? Anyone tried it?
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

not a good option, its very slippery when belly paddling and you cant duck dive. Ive seen trev give it a go and it wasnt pretty!
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Hi Guest,

You may find the Pyro a bit warm in the Gorge in June, unless you tend to be on the chilly side of the spectrum of sailors. I know that my wife, Stephanie, would like the drysuit idea even in June. She can't be warm enough! I will likely go to a wetsuit for late spring and summer sailing as I like to get wet if it's warmer out. In the winter, late fall, and early spring, nothing beats the Pyro for me however.

Chris
Poultry in motion
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Just traded my old Pyro for a new Pyro. I'm still amazed at how functional it is. Kudo's to the OR team for bringing it to us. Thanks again.
JL

Post by JL »

I'm shivering with envy !
Thermals are good.
Guest #2

Post by Guest #2 »

Could you wear a life jacket/vest under it or would it need to go over top?