Nitinaht Lake Wind Reports

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

Kite Kook

Nitinaht Lake Wind Reports

Post by Kite Kook »

Does anyone know of ANY wind report for Nitinaht other than the store web site? I swear, on the other side of the lake, I have seen a wind gauge, and I wonder, is this for someone's private use, or is it hooked up to some gov't website that we don't know about?

Bottom line, I would love to stay home and sail Dallas this weekend, but if nothing is happening, it would be nice to know if the lake is going off (I have a drysuit and gloves) or if the outflow shuts it down. Seems strange in this day and age of bigwavedave data that the only way to find out is to drive up and see! [smilie=stupid.gif]

Ideas?
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I think the weather station on Knob Point (opposite the campsite) was put up by Randy Kashino. It was just there for the sailing season, and I think just logged data, downloaded every couple of weeks. He had some great wind graphs on his website for previous years, I don't think I ever saw data from last summer yet - can't find any of that data on his site now, maybe going in the wrong way or something.
Russian Guy

Post by Russian Guy »

I heard this wind meter has been put there by some scientist from University of Alberta :shock:
windsurf247

wind meter

Post by windsurf247 »

I heard something similar as well. I heard either UVIC or UBC or maybe it was U of A, put it there to monitor the weather at NItinat. Ya wanna know why?? Apparently, some big bubble of methane gas is going to come to the top of the lake and wipe out everything in the area. :shock: Sounds like science fiction but apparently it's happened before and it's due to happen again. Anyone else hear about this?? I think if you look into this theory, you might find some useable data.
windaddiction

Post by windaddiction »

Well don't every one laugh There is acutlly a thesis topic at UBC on "Physical mechanisms leading to upwelling of anoxic bottom water in Nitinat Lake". Now Anoxic water is just water that has no oxygen content. However I'm pretty shure that decaying organic material, in the absense of oxygen will creat gasses... I wonder how many dead trees are down there? oh well something to think about i guess
kitesurferdale

turn over

Post by kitesurferdale »

Well actually the lake did a turn just two years ago, wiping out most of the aquatic life in the fall, it was quite interesting to see all the crab up on the shores trying to survive, smelt like rotten gas. Historically there is stories of it turning on such magnatude that it killed a bufferzone around the lake, animals and humans alike. So with that said there is a study going on as I type and will continue to do so for several years to come. They are studying the layering of the lake, temperature, wind velocities and directions as well as marine life. As for access to this data I don't know, had to leave nitinaht last summer just as everything was going through. :(
windaddiction

Post by windaddiction »

yeah the rotten egg smell is hydrogen sulpide gas.... if u can smell it ur good if you can't well thtas when things go bad. It can be created in areas with low low oxygen as well. Every thing will be fine until something disturbs it. Then it is released. But don't worry I'll still be up at nitinaht as much as i can!
Vic

H2S Smells

Post by Vic »

Yes, most of what you have read above is true. Dale has come closest to the facts. Graham, I don't remember his last name, camped beside me last summer. He was responsible for the study and was going to send me a copy of the report. If I ever do receive it I'll post it.

Incidently, there was a village near a lake similar to Nitinat in Africa some 10 years ago that was completely wiped out by the gas !
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I remember the African village in the news, I think it was on Lake Nyos - CBCs Quirks and Quarks had a big discussion. That lake is 'fed' hydrogen sulphide by volcanic forces. Hopefully, the hydrogen sulphide concentration is lower at Nitinat, but maybe not? I have never heard of or read of any oral history for Nitinat regarding unexplained mass deaths which could be linked, unlike earthquakes and tsunamis for which there are traditional stories in the region.
JL

Post by JL »

:lol: If your worried about "gas" don't camp near the outhouses!!!
Thermals are good.
mshepard

Post by mshepard »

I too have experienced a bunch of hot air coming from certain people's tents, and am amazed the campground has not been wiped out. For a general Nitinat Forecast you can check out Weather Underground

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin ... tinat+Lake

Looks like outflows for this weekend, so may be a bit dicey.
jimbob

gas

Post by jimbob »

Sounds like this could be the long awaited solution to the over-crowded campground. [-o<
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

I suppose everyone knows this already because I posted it in a new thread but just in case, the weather station on the far side of the lake was put up by a group at UBC Ciivil Engineering spent last summer studying the hydrology of Nitinat Lake.

They have posted their preliminary report (a Master's Thesis) at http://subcritical.civil.ubc.ca/~efmweb ... Rindex.htm
Kite Kook

Flood

Post by Kite Kook »

Thanks for all the replies everybody.

So, the station was set up by UBC, and all the data was lost in the flood. Damn.

But interesting to note the confirmation (for those who doubted):

"An unusual flooding event on October 17-20 caused lake levels to rise approximately 4 meters..."

4 meters =@12 feet!
kitesurferdale

Store web site

Post by kitesurferdale »

As most of you already know, but for those that don't, the Nitinaht.com website is officially inactive (I am no longer there to enter in the data :cry: ). As for wind reports on the lake, there is one windstation down the lake from environment canada, unfortunately it doen't really reflect truly what is happening at the top end of the lake, but in worst case senarios (sp?) be a general guideline. In my experience, as long as the east coast is set up for sunshine then nitinaht will have wind. Victoria weather can also be used as a general guideline, but often will not reflect what is happening at nitinaht. So many times it has been sunny everywhere else but raining at nitinaht and vice versa. Anyhow I digress

Happy sailing All!
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!