Nitinat weekend - not epic, just usual fantastic

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Nitinat weekend - not epic, just usual fantastic

Post by more force 4 »

Where was everyone - didn't Bobson start a thread about attending at Nitinat this last weekend? (I know what BWD was doing, I hope he was sore enough from Friday's megawind to not mind working at the computer!) I did the minimum chores to be allowed out for the weekend (yes, dear!) and got away early afternoon, stopped for beer and steak at Mill Bay, got to Nit just before 3. Russian guy was the only local face I knew!
Sat PM I rigged 5.8, was barely planing most of the time, would have been happier on my 7.5. About 1/2 hour fully powered, got bored with the big size, making all my gybes (though Russian guy says I'm not leaning forward enuf), so I came in to switch my big old Astro for my mid-size Adagio (1980s rock on!). Found the wave fin I had sailed it with last just didn't cut it for a 5.8 underpowered sail, switched back to the long skinny blade. Sailed till 6 when it pretty much died.
Saturday evening spent at Parksville Ron & Sharon and Bill's campfire. Bill plays a mean 12 string and Ron is learning 6 quickly. Campsite was nearly empty! About 5 or six vehicles.

Dawn chorus of birds started at 5, crows murdering at 6, camper doors at 7, kinda snoozed till 8. Had a pleasant morning with recent Victoria immigrant kiters and Chris who teaches chemistry at Malaspina.
Outflow switched to inflow by about 11, looked like a good start to the day. Rigged my 7.5 to get an early start. Decided there were enough whitecaps by 12, found not enough to plane in, but tried sailing on the lee side (try that with a kite!). Beer break, then by 1 I was powered on the 7.5 and big board. Sailed to about 2:30 on the big board, way overpowered (still downhauled for light wind), all this time I was the only board out :?: and about a dozen kites (Chris was out some of the time). Decided to see the diff max downhauled and outhauled - great sail, still manageable, others out on about 5.5 by now, but I decided my 5.8 would be more fun. Had to add more downhaul to that by 3PM, could have sailed 5.0 by then, but decided it would take too long to rerig. Most of the kites were blown off the water by then. Only about 6 boards ever out at once, including a couple doing vulcans etc (I think I saw Jeff on the beach later). I worked on keeping lots of mast base pressure to hold the nose down, even when sheeted out, and had an absolute blast, passing every kite still on the water, and several boards. Felt way more in control for the conditions than I ever had done before, still making some gybes - soo nice to get TOW. :D I tried a few chop hops (never done a good one on purpose, but I was completely ready) - just couldn't get enough pop off the small chop to get up very high, gotta have some tips while I'm on the water I guess. Off the water at 4PM, it was easing a bit, but still plenty of wind - I was just having to go downwind a bit to get on a plane, instead of instant when sheeted in.

All in all, a perfect weekend in paradise!
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

AMEN TO THAT!!!!
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Hey good write up MF4- the weekend sounded great. Yeah I was sore from Friday and I had some "stuff" to do. I hope to get up there on the next sunny weekend. Man, these early season weekends are killer with no crowds. Wind "warning" for tomorrow - sounds like another super nuker,
dave
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better