Recommended roof racks?

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Recommended roof racks?

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

I'm just about to start looking for a roof rack setup, and I'd appreciate your feedback and recommendations to point me in the right direction (Thule, Sportrack, Yakima...?). Some parameters:

- For 4 door SUV without gutters
- Must be quiet (low wind noise)
- For use with windsurf boards, canoe, kayaks
- Higher weight capacity is better

Comments on what to avoid and where to buy are valuable too. Thanks in advance!
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
monkeymanmike

Post by monkeymanmike »

My yakimas are nearing 10 years old and are as good as new!
I've also been able to put them on 3 different vehicles by changing only one component each time (not cheap mind you)!!
Graham

Post by Graham »

I've had Thule and Yakima...and I much prefer the Yakima system. Strong, low wind noise, easy to change accessories for different sports, great locking mechanisms.

The guys at All Seasons Sports near Hillside and Douglas/Gov't are great.

Choose the bar length you need based on what you're going to be carrying, then the proper towers to fit your car/truck.

The downside...it ain't cheap (but none of them are) so you may as well get the best.

Graham.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

My Yakimas have been good; no prob with weight, wind noise was a problem initially I tried the little wing things they sell to stop this, that didn't work, but the foam rack pads do. The only complaint I have is that they are fiddly to set up right, the guys at All Seasons spend forever messing about with tape measures. When I put them on I'm usually on the way to the beach or the Nat, and don't have time to play around - nor did they give me the measurements for my truck so I could do it myself. THey say 'bring it in, we'll do it no charge' but that doesn't always work. End result is the racks have slipped a little from time to time and that has scraped the rail, now I have bare metal waiting to rust. No problem if you are going to have the shop put them on and then keep them on indefinitely. Ocean Sport kayaks (sp?) near Capital Iron has nice foam rack pads cheaper than the Yakima ones from Allsport.
gnome

Post by gnome »

Both the thule and yakima accessories will fit either bar system. I have thule bars and towers, and a slew of accessories - both yakima and thule. I have not yet come across an accessory (from any manufacturer) that does not fit on my thule bars.

A fairing is a nice add-on for both noise and wind-resistance. I don't have one, but I've noticed the yakima model gets in the way when mounting bikes on a king cobra rack. Maybe thule is similar? Or other accessories? Dunno.

Used bars in great shape are easy to find. Tons on Craig's List and Ebay. You'll likely need to buy the towers new for your vehicle. Maybe it goes without saying, but don't try to use towers not designed for your car. It may seem to work, but can't adequately hold the load. I've had bad experiences. The proper feet and towers make a world of difference. I've noticed some shops keep an inventory of common used towers and feet at a reduced price. (Rack Attack in Vancouver comes to mind).
JL

Post by JL »

I let them install tracks & 'landing pads' on my sienna (04) as a 'solution' had not been designed/manufactured yet. Just type in your year/model. I have no idea why MF4 can't put his own racks on ?! http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=171
Thermals are good.