Gordons cam up and running

What's new on the website
bwd
Developer
Developer

Gordons cam up and running

Post by bwd »

Hey everyone:

The Gordons Beach cam was set up today at Jack's place about 4 houses upwind of the sailing site. The cam was up and running in time to record a great 4.0-4.7 session this afternoon. Unfortunately my archive program didn't save any of the images so if anyone saved any let me know. The camera faces directly out towards the sailing site so it should capture some great action.

Big thanks to Jack and Kathy for letting us use their house for the camera. Look for a second camera to be set up here sometime soon. The second camera will face the flag on the beach or Sheringham Point. A wind sensor is in the works too. The camera image should update every 30 seconds, but i just checked and it looks like it is doing 60secs so I'll have to fix it. The last 5 images are also stored so look for a button soon that will let you view them.

Gordons was great super powered 4.5 with nice swell from 3-5 today - anyone sail at cook street?

dave
wind_dummy

Post by wind_dummy »

just my luck

i'm sick today so i was able to save you an image from the new cam ( check mail )

while i was tortureing myself looking at it
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

June 02, 2003: We are having some problems with the computer and camera so you may see it in and out of service over the next week. Hopefully the problems will be fixed soon. Plus Jack will be away so if the camera goes down it will be down for a while from Tues-Fri.

Hopefully we can work the bugs out soon. It is getting some excellent pics though.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Anybody have any opinions on what camera angle is best for the new camera at Gordons? Since the camera is upwind of the sailing site, we have to point it downwind to see the sailing action. With this angle you can't see the lighthouse or fog. So do you prefer:

1. Pointing it at the flag. The flag is mostly flat out but the whale is a good indication of wind. If the flag is in focus then it is hard to see the water.

2. Point it upwind at the lighthouse, You can see the wind on the water and the sky and the waves but the sailing action will not be in the shot.

3. Point it downwind at the sailing spot. From this angle you will see the kiters and windsurfers and wind on the water but you can't see the lighthouse or upwind.

So any feedback is appreciated. Of course if Jack is around then he will point it at any action.

Just checked the camera and it is already blowing at Gordon's...see you on the water!

thanks, dave