Webcam appreciation thread

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Webcam appreciation thread

Post by bwd »

It seems that most of us take the webcams for granted. It is only when they go down that we really appreciate them. I also think that they will not be around forever, so we should do as much as we can NOW to thank the hosts and show our appeciation. Based on an idea by Morewind, it would be nice if we could send some feedback to the webcam hosts and to the people that keep them running. I'm not sure what the best way of doing this is - maybe thank you cards or something? I am open to suggestions here. It's not really enough to thank them here since most of them don't read the website.

Even though most of the webcam hosts get money from me to pay their internet, they still have to take calls/emails when the cams go down and they have to live with a webcam in their houses. None of the hosts are sailors either.

Here is a list of the people that should be thanked. I can give mailing addresses out if people want to send thank you cards, or should I post addresses here? I know a lot of people use the webcams and only a small number actually thank those involved:

1. Jack and Kathy: Gordon's webcam and weather station. I give them NO money for their internet so they should get special thanks.

2. Betty: CB weather station and webcam. Betty has to deal with frequent calls about webcam problems.

3. Mattdog: for keeping the CB gear going.

4. Alex: Cook Street webcam

5. Matt and Nicole: IV webcam.

6. George: Willows Beach webcam.

7. John: Pipers webcam.

8. Lynda V. and Ray Vanderbyl: San Pareil Webcam
Last edited by bwd on Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gramma Jo

Webcam Hosts

Post by Gramma Jo »

Hi Dave,
If you're able to pm me with names and addresses I'll send a Christmas card with thanks to them all. This wanna-be, but so far mostly vicarious windsurfer gets a big kick out of viewing all bwd's webcams. The new Island View view is terrific. :D Even better with sail-guys out yesterday. Gramma Jo
Just want to somehow play on the water with a sail.
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

Thanks. In exchange I figure I'm cashing in on lots of kite launching and rescue favors with the windsurfers :lol:
Signature Block.
Gramma Jo

webcam appreciation

Post by Gramma Jo »

Dave, I've written a thank you letter which I'll be sending to the webcam hosts and maintenance folk and you! I've included interesting quotes of appreciation I found in various webcam threads, and so I've taken the liberty to say it's from all members of this site. It'll go in Christmas cards today. I'm happy I'm able to do this. These cams are wonderful things to have. Merry Christmas everyone!
Just want to somehow play on the water with a sail.
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

A big thanks to everyone that makes the webcams possible.
It is very much appreciated! :D
bwd
Developer
Developer

Re: webcam appreciation

Post by bwd »

Gramma Jo wrote:Dave, I've written a thank you letter which I'll be sending to the webcam hosts and maintenance folk and you!
Thank you JoAnne, that's great! Also thanks to Keen and Eastside for sending along their thank yous too. I think the more the better. I know it's a busy time of year and this can certainly wait until January. Here is a link to the addresses if any other people are interested.
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

I find the cameras invaluable. They have added so much quality to my life. The cameras not only save much time, effort and fuel by allowing me to better plan my sailing sessions, they also -- since I am presently living far from the Island -- provide a much needed link with the ocean. I'm sure most of you know what I am talking about; the ache one gets when one is away from one's "place". Seeing the live image of the ocean at some of my favourite places helps ease this ache. The cameras help transport me to those places, if only in spirit.

I'd like to help out with a more organized effort to thank our gracious web cam hosts. Perhaps the likes of a gift basket or flowers - if that isn't too impersonal. However, in place of something more organized, I may just do something like stop by John's and Ron's places with some homemade Christmas baking -- I especially appreciate the Piper's and CB cams (close to "home").

Thanks very much to all the hosts...And a very special thank you to Dave who dedicates so much time and effort to maintaining our precious cameras.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

And don't forget to tell the hosts they are making a green contribution, saving gas/CO2 on what otherwise might be wasted trips, or long trips looking for wind! I remember pre-BigWaveDave phoning the Environment Canada line and waiting through interminable forecvasts for the whole coast and lighthouse reports that were easy to mishear trying to figure out where there was wind.

And I agree with 4J, the cams are great when you are away from home for a long time.

I'll send a card to each thanking them myself in the new year, once the current work crunch gets done (I'm being told by staff I'll be chained to the desk this week).