3rd accident in 2 months on Nitnaht road!!

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Mike D

3rd accident in 2 months on Nitnaht road!!

Post by Mike D »

I hope the windsurfer driving the small Toyota pickup back from Nitnaht is OK. I came across your truck about 6:30 in the ditch on it's side right before one of the log bridges, I think you're really lucky not to have gone over the edge into the creek....a good 30 ft drop. What really amazed me is how all your gear strapped to the canopy didn't fly off....good strap job!

Thats the 3rd accident I've seen on that road in 2 months....pretty bad considering I've only been 4 times over that period.

The time before last I almost had a head on with an ATV.....there were 2 of them driving abreast around a long sweeping corner, so as to avoid each others dust. I was going about 60KM... I had to hit the brakes and swerve as far to the right as possible, things would have been pretty ugly.

My guess is people should slow down a little....
Last edited by Mike D on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Yeah, I passed the pickup at 7, got out to check no one inside still. Looked like it was a softer landing than it looked from the outside. Expected to pass a towtruck coming in but didn't see one. Hope thats not bad news re: injuries. All the gear on the top still and the canopy full of stuff; hope its going to be OK.

Even after taking it easy after that, I still got turned sideways more than usual three or four times; road is in terrible shape! Braking and swerving is almost impossible even doing only 40-50 on much of the road now.
Nosey

Post by Nosey »

I had a look inside,just to make sure there was no one still in there,and the scary thing to see was the baby seat.I hope every one is ok!
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

Yeah I checked inside too, I didn't see any blood, hopefully that's a good sign.

Agreed the road is crap on the north side of Cow lake. I took the south side again....way better, this time it was only about 10 mins longer....totally worth it. There was no construction delay like yesterday for the bridge deck replacement in Youbou.
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

Does anyone know whose responsibility it is to maintain the road? Is it highways, or another contractor, or is the road private and maintained by one of the logging companies?

It really needs attention.
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

pretty sure its the logging company, as are the bridges
Last edited by MikeH on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cj

Post by Cj »

I talked to that guy at the store in Youbou. He was by himself in the truck and was fine. He said he went in pretty slow and the bank just kind of dropped off there. Looked bad though hey, wow. Then further down the road like 5k a guy one a bike drove off another bank, he was fine but really in shock as we pulled up. crazy, drive safe. CJ
somebody said " go fly a kite".
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

I wonder what the accident stats are for the road....must be pretty bad.
tweezer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tweezer »

I stopped to see if anyone was inside around 6pm. Did the guy get his truck out? When I stopped, someone heading toward Nitinat wanted to know what make of truck it was. Scoping out the salvage possibilities I guess. The vultures were already descending. I hope everything was still in the truck that was of any value when he got back to it...
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

Logging company eh....I guess with the slow down in there industry there is nothing going in the area. Still they must have to maintain it to some standard, wouldn't you think?

:D :o :) :? :( :cry: :!: :?: [smilie=axe.gif] ](*,)
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

maybe the grader is broken,
...fuel prices have risen pretty high and it could be the first of a global change in how people operate their business???? (Just a suggestion)
Last edited by MikeH on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

They cant afford the diesel for the grader...[smilie=chop.gif] [smilie=hammer.gif] LOL..just discovered all the emoticons!!

Man I gotta go to bed..... [smilie=wizard.gif]
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

i like how 2 or more of us thought of that one at the same time
McGyver

Driver Ok from Toyota pickup

Post by McGyver »

The grated road and loose rocks makes the road WAY More skittish then usual. There is very little traction. So all you fellow quick driving windsurfers REDUCE YOUR SPEED by 10-20km/h until the traction improves!

It looks way worse then it was. I am OK. I went over doing like 5km/h. I was maybe doing 30km/h when I clued into the turn. Mind wasn't on the road at the time. Hit brakes skid on those loose rocks and slid and damn that ditch was deep. I slid over the edge far enough that gravity did the rest of the work.

I have driven that road a hundred times and the traction was the worst I'd ever seen it. Grating the potholes is great but the loose rocks it creates makes for a very poor traction.

I hope the tow truck got there before the vultures! I got a hold of Grant Daily (Daily's towing) in Youbou and he said it would be a couple of hours. I waited until 9pm and still not their so headed home with a ride.

Hey what better excuse to get a new vehicle!
See you at the lake!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

well, I understand Hayes either filed or are doing quite badly, and the other logging co Munn's is done too, they filed just this Spring. Get used to it, it'll get worse. Highways has adopted the circle route to Renfrew which is the only reason you are seeing some work done and maintenance there now.

But all that aside it's a friggen logging road, expect the unexpected and slow down is all :roll: To think you will see regular highway-type grading, maintenance, signage or design is absurd, I'm just happy the road is clear of a mudslide or a big tree and is wider than 6' :lol: Yes, I have had my surprises too on this stretch, it can happen quite easily. Glad you are okay, McGyver :!:

BTW good on all you guys to check the vehicle, I know I would have too but not everybody in today's world would do that :?
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....