the not so 'official' webcam thread

We want your feedback: comments, complaints and suggestions for the website

~ pimp hand ~

the not so 'official' webcam thread

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

not like BWD doesn't have a million things to do already, but wouldn't it be kewl to have the last reported winspeed/direction/time overlayed down in the corner of the webcam images ? ... i've seen before i think on one of the gorge cams. ... what do ya think dood? i know my lazy ass 8) would have to do less navigation.

oh, while lookin' around i found this cool gorge cams page.

[smilie=beer.gif]
Last edited by ~ pimp hand ~ on Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Re: sorry dood ...

Post by bwd »

~ pimp hand ~ wrote:wouldn't it be kewl to have the last reported windspeed/direction/time overlayed down in the corner of the webcam images ?
Hey Mr Hand:
Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah that would be cool. Do ya mean have Kelp Reef latest report on the IV cam and Sheringham on the Gordo's cam (ie. Kelp 2pm SE12, Sheringham 2pm W15) ? I don't think I can overlay it on the image since I would have to do that when the image is taken (too complicated). But I could have a small box near the image with the Kelp and Sheringham latest reports. Maybe give the next hour Sheringham prediction here too and the Pressure Gradient? Is this what you had in mind? I'll add it to my to do list.
~ pimp hand ~ wrote:found this cool gorge cams page
Yeah that's a good link. I've been eyeing the Storm Warning Kite cam (http://www.e-stormwarning.com/kite_cam.shtml) for a month or so. I was hoping to get this camera for the new Kook cam - it allows zoom/pan/tilt. But the cam is about $2500 and I have only been able to get Bosun's to commit to giving $$ so far. No other sponsors are interested yet. Still working on it though,
dave
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
~ pimp hand ~

Re: sorry dood ...

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

bigwavedave wrote: Do ya mean have Kelp Reef latest report on the IV cam and Sheringham on the Gordo's cam (ie. Kelp 2pm SE12, Sheringham 2pm W15) Is this what you had in mind?.
exactly dave 8) ... yo da man dood!

... about tha cam your lookin' at ... i know i can kick in some money towards the cause and i don't even kite there! ... either way i appreciate the cams you have running already ... maybe if everybody contributed what they could, we could raise enough funds. have you approached Excel or OR ?
anyhow, awesome site you got dood, keep up the great work [smilie=beer.gif]
kitesurferdale

donations are good

Post by kitesurferdale »

Hey BWD, if this new cam is for a new location like cook street, then I think the community that loves this web site and uses it on a daily basis, such as I (even though I hardly ever get to Victoria to sail) should pony up some bucks to help out. In fact, I can send $50.00 towards the puchase of the cam, let me through my email where to send the cheque. I realize $50 isn't a whole lot, but hey power in numbers right, if everyone contributes then quite possibly it would become more a reality.
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
Ross H

Post by Ross H »

Hey Dave, I`ll match Dale`s $50- anyone else?Are you going to be in town on the weekend?
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Thanks PH, Dale and Ross:

I am still hoping to keep things free for everyone. Before I start collecting donations give me a bit of time to see if I can even get this camera and what the total cost would be. I should know by next week. It is not just the cost but I'm also trying to get permission from Shaw to run the cam since it will take extra bandwidth. I'm also trying to work things out with the house owner.

I will let you know, dave
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

power in #'s

Post by KUS »

count me in for another $100, I live by these cams. =D> Pls let me know how to get you the coin. Thanks Dave!! I know you saved me hundreds in gas already not to mention providing hours of entertainment and a crutch to get through workdays.

Wind People, unite! Kus
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Russian Dood

I'm in

Post by Russian Dood »

Count my couple of coins too ( $50 to be exact ).
kitesurferdale

donations

Post by kitesurferdale »

I respect the fact that you like to keep things free to us users and trust me when I say I like to save my hard earned $$ but KUS is got it right, the way I figure it this site has alot of impact in when and where people decide to sail, and the savings in fuel, time and frustrations immesurable. To add to that the benifit in the time & enjoyment spent chatting and talking in the forums, I know when I wake up in the morning regardless of wether I am thinking of sailing or not, I log in to check it out and when I get home from work, bang right back on (when I am not working out of town). So if you decide or figure a way out to setup this new cam without any costs then my hat is off and my thanks extended.

Dale
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
asscrack

webcam

Post by asscrack »

hey dave you can count me in for $$$$$if we can get a kook street cam up and running,i'm in. :roll:
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and Life is a beach

Funding for windcams

Post by Guest »

Hey Dave when your ready to collect count me in for $100 bucks too! Free is good but long term viability is better. Lets start a movement to keep your awesome web site going and add a few cams. There is definite commercial support for a Squamish cam when you get time.

Cheers, Tom V [smilie=beer.gif]
~ pimp hand ~

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

yep ... just say tha wurd dave. i've got a clean, crisp, fresh check for you dood 8) when ever you need it !
fatsack

cook st kite cam

Post by fatsack »

That's a sweet idea I got fiddy on it for sure. I will ask around work cause we know more about camera's than the FBI. I'll find a few options for us and postem up [smilie=drinkofbeer.gif]
asscrack

help with site

Post by asscrack »

Hey I'm happy to help with the site any way I can,It's a Greaaaaaattttt site for us all. :D
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and Life is a beach
~ pimp hand ~

Re: help with site

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

asscrack wrote:Hey I'm happy to help with the site any way I can,It's a Greaaaaaattttt site for us all. :D
ok, that's it ... i'm calling u a postwhore now :D