Ventana Bay Resort ??

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
mortontoemike

Ventana Bay Resort ??

Post by mortontoemike »

Anyone stayed at Ventana Bay Resort? Feedback?
I wish my TOW was longer!
Martin

Post by Martin »

Haven't stayed there but have spent the last 9 winters at LaVentana.
It is about 4 miles upwind of the "main campground".
Great beach/launch with a beach sail shed where you can leave your gear.
We go by it on our kite downwinders and there are mostly windsurfers sailing there although that is starting to change.
Nice clean wind sideshore and quite often better than at the main campground.
Give me a call sometime, happy to give you more info 250 642 6197
martin
Bradak

Post by Bradak »

I stayed there a few years ago. Very nice spot. Beautiful beach, friendly staff, cool casitas. They serve you breakfast and lunch. Delicious grub

here's some photos

JL

Post by JL »

Time to line up for my passport !!! 8)
Thermals are good.
Ned

Post by Ned »

What kind of prices has everyone gone to La Ventana for? Love to go in January if I can afford it... :)
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

just book and go, worry about the bills later, you only live once :!: :twisted:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
JL

Post by JL »

8) Good point ... I guess that explains why your in Oregon ... Enjoy your trip Kus !!!
Thermals are good.
Martin

Post by Martin »

If you are flying to down to LaVentana then consider getting an "Alaska Airlines" Mastercard through MBNA Canada. They give you 20,000 miles to start plus a $50.00 companion ticket once a year.
Marion is flying down this Fall for $66.00 (for the taxes) (one way)!
With the companion ticket deal, one person pays full fare (about $800.00 return) and the companion only $50.00.

If you have a something like a Honda Civic or equivalent, you can drive down and back for about $400.00 total. Of course that assumes no mechanical problems and sleeping in the car. But hey, its cheap!
Grab a tent and go. The main campgound is/was $7.00 per night.
If you are young and fast you an do it in about 4 days. With the RV it takes us about a week.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Whats the price of the resort? Those pics might even tempt the wife.....
Bradak

Post by Bradak »

Back in winter 2005/2006 it was a hundred bucks a night for the two of us. Included breakfast and dinner. We stayed over ten days, so they knocked off ten percent. That included taxes too! It was the most economical bang for the buck when we checked were looking for a place to stay. We had a 20 month old with us at that time too. Baja Joe's wouldn't take us :( cause of the young one.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

I'm going to drive back again and stay in the campground. I'm budgeting $1200 for gas including a bunch of trips from Ventana to La Paz, and across to Cerritos and Todo Santos and down to the hot springs near Cabo Pulmo and some sailing days in Los Burrillos. I live in my truck on the way down doing a few half night sleeps in the rest stops off of Intestate 5. Once past the Baja Tiajuana crossing I take 2 days down. (Don't get lost in Tiajuana - it's hell!! Have you ever seen a grown man Gringo cry??) Total trip is about 4 to 6 days. I'm having some company (Sandy Beach, w247? and/or my girlfriend) visit that I will pick up at the airport in La Paz or Cabo San Jose.

A caution about camping. It is a little colder than you might think at night so if you camp bring a good sleeping bag. I also ended up wearing my 4-5-6 wetsuit half of the days, since after 3 hours on the water you can get a little cold from being tired.

All in all - this place is paradise for beginner/intermediate level wind sports! Chill and adventure in the morning, sail all afternoon and pass out at night. Lot of friendly Canadians and Americans there and of course lots of friendly Mexicans. 8)
Last edited by thankgodiatepastafobreaky on Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
curses - foiled again!
Sandy Beach

La Ventana

Post by Sandy Beach »

Jellyfish, we really need to figure some travel plans and dates out soon! Possibly this Tuesday night??? We're thinking early to mid Jan. Have to be back by Jan.18th
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
Ned

Post by Ned »

Martin wrote:If you are flying to down to LaVentana then consider getting an "Alaska Airlines" Mastercard through MBNA Canada. They give you 20,000 miles to start plus a $50.00 companion ticket once a year.
Marion is flying down this Fall for $66.00 (for the taxes) (one way)!
With the companion ticket deal, one person pays full fare (about $800.00 return) and the companion only $50.00.
Hey Martin, do you (or anyone else?) know what the specifics of the companion ticket are?

I read on the website that it is good for an Alaska Airlines flight, but I've heard people say you are able to get the companion ticket with any of Alaska's partners too. If you can get a companion ticket with their partners that would be amazing. That would likely be the clincher for me to bother getting one, so I'm kind of desperate to find out.

I guess you can do pretty well with the travel miles too at a $1 a point. $25k or so gets you a flight a lot of different places, easily a free trip every 2 years or so, more if you're not cheap/poor like me.

Thanks for anyone who knows anything on this.
TomS

Alaska airmiles

Post by TomS »

You will need to apply for your Alaska Mastercard / Airmiles plan quickly in order for you to book in January.
The only restriction that I know on the $50 companion ticket is that when you book your flight you must book the companion at the same time .......you can't just add a friend after your flight is booked.

Alaska / Horizon does partner with Delta and Continental and I believe they will honour your points and such.

Anyway great Airplan for Baja and Pacific Northwest travel.
Every day of work takes 8 hours off your life.