Wind dies unexpectedly or never shows?

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Wind dies unexpectedly or never shows?

Post by KUS »

Well, I thought given all the confusion that I would let the cat out of the bag.....here it is:

The thing with MF4's van recently and all that.....well, actually it's a virus that doesn't require a living host but yes, it tends to move.

I recall Ruskie had it for the longest time 2-3 years back. I myself remember having a mild case way back in the late 80's when I'd drive all the way to Harrison with it blowing over trees enroute and arrive to a lake of glass. Burned a lot of fuel back then :roll:
Ruskie would arrive at the Nat....actually his presence would only be felt once he actually reached the beach rigged but some, like MF4 just need to think about or plan or drive by a windy location and the calm moves in :? His Van certainly has absorbed a healthy dose but also the pick-up is infected :!: :!:
For a while Ruskie passed portions of the virus to Wingnut....he'd arrive at Willows when I'm sailing or rigging a 4.2 and next thing it was 5.8 and then switch West. He'd never even have to get out of his car, he's just watch us through his windshield slogging about, shake his head and drive off :oops:

Alas, Ruskie has finally beaten the curse it seems and Wingnut only has a mild level of it that usually just affects his stoke but not others. It can be subdued and overcome by driving up to sailing sites with another stoked member like one of the regulars but beware when he shows up by himself, it can get ugly :x

MF4 on the other hand needs to be quarantined in New Orleans. In fact the revenue generating aspect of this hasn't been fully explored. Katrina would have stalled and turned tail towards the open Atlantic if he'd been down there. It's a waste really :idea: The Sprinter when at the beach must face away from the beach and at the very least never fully open it's back barn doors or it will hoover any gust in sight. I suspected long ago that also the Kona has some of these mysterious powers and should best be left up at Elk lake or some such benign location in the hope the virus slowly becomes dormant or the board goes into remission altogether.

Anyway, I hope this explains some of these issues a bit more clearly. I think one of the trials we need to run on MF4 is to feed him large doses of alcohol to weaken his trepidation of higher winds/waves and cause an involuntary loop, any direction.

This should serve as a type of immunization for just about any sailor actually. It only hurts a minute, a small pinprick compared to the overall suffering your viruses inflict on the community so perhaps serious consideration should be given to this.

Consequently I almost always have cold brown pops on board....Think about it!! :idea: :!:
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Very funny, Kus. It sounds like I have a unending source of beer at the beach :P That will be my revenge for all the leg-pulling. Inadvertent loops don't count, you know. Only ones that the trigger is pulled knowingly. But the curse is well over anyhow, broken and blown into little pieces by CB on Jan 10th, when it was proper windy (you were mincing about at IV that day I think, so you didn't witness it).

I was recently trying to remember who used to be the scapegoat a couple of years ago, and vaguely recalled that Russian Dude had been labelled thus. He was quite snarky about it by the end too! :lol:
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

more force 4 wrote: trying to remember who used to be the scapegoat a couple of years ago
SCAPEGOAT :?: SCAPEGOAT :!: :!: We have hard scientific data of wind readings and direct, witnessed observations supporting this phenomenon.

As a favor and only if it gets a bit too windy today, like exceeding 40, would you mind driving past IV (not pull in or open doors and such :roll: ) just to calm things down a bit :idea: the waves and shorebreak are much nicer at 25-30. Thx bud :twisted:
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

January 10 the Sprinter arrived at CB and the wind INCREASED to 40-45. It was too windy for most of our smallest sails. However, I guess the effect was the same, since most of us had to wait it out on the beach.
Last edited by ~~~~~4j~~ on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Sprinter from Hell

Post by bwd »

The van is obviously evil...I say we burn it.
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I hope no-one from ICBC is reading this :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Johnnyman

Post by Johnnyman »

Well it looks like Kus has the virus now. I was totally lit on my 4.5 yesterday at IV then it totally tanked 33k winds to not enough I almost had to swim in. I looked up the Kusmachine was in the parking lot and Kus was ready to hit the water thanks Kus. Beware of the motor home!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

not sure how you reconcile that crap no wave fest that was forecasted to drop anyway with the 40 knots and huge waves we alone scored at C-Lover Point :roll: :twisted: :!: Robin reported it sucked in the morning before we all arrived back there :P

Nope, I maintain I am the wind bringer, my office happily accepts any sacrificial offerings and beer as usual :idea:

As far as IV, MF4 probably drove by around that time anyways :wink:
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

..well clover didn't really suck early in the day, it just didn't have nearly as nice a swell and wind action that Kus, Shaggy and I scored in the afternoon!
I will try to post photos later of an exciting new spot right in the heart of greater vic!
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu