Maui gear rentals Kanaha Kai ROCKS!

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Maui gear rentals Kanaha Kai ROCKS!

Post by Joostio »

I just wrapped up my Maui vacation and I wanted to say how wonderful Kanaha Kai was for my gear rentals. The shop is owned and run by Bart and Dagmar, they have terriffic equipment (Starboard borads and Hot Sails sail) and were very flexable with equipment trade offs. I was able to use a SUP in the am and trade in for a sailboard for the pm all for one reasonable price, other shops wanted to charge me seperatly for the SUP rental ontop of the sailboard rental. The shop was the closest to Kanaha beach too. I was also advised of wind and wave conditions each day. They also share the shop space with Hot sails Maui and are very knowlegable on the product. I would highly reccomend this shop to anyone on a trip to Maui.

www.kanahakai.com

thanks Bart and Dagmar, I will rent from you on my following trips for sure!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

That is where many of us have rented from, and likely also why so many of us sail hot sails!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

I like the Kanaha rental shop in with HotSails too! They were very friendly reasonable and some quite nice looking , if you met her ;)
curses - foiled again!
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Regarding Kanaha Kai's service. I just ordered a pair of Drake fins for my Quad. Bart tried my credit card and it didn't go through. So I called the bank and it turns out there's been some suspicious charges on my card and it's been cancelled due to fraud. The new card isn't due for a week, but Bart says, don't worry we'll send the fins to you now and just call with the new c/c number when you get it. Now that's service. I'll be renting and buying from them in the future. 8)

BTW, they are one of the few (only?) places that sell Drake fins.

www.kanahakai.com

Dave
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

hey too bad i couldnt have brought those back for you!
I had great service there as well, i was changing boards there up to 3 times a day. only drawback is you have to like Starboards and Hot sais as there's not much else.
I have read that the shop was untouched by the tsunami, i was a little worried there, given the location.
KC7777

Kanaha Kai

Post by KC7777 »

Hi,

I have found these Kanaha guys great to deal with.

I recently bought a used HotSailsMaui boom from Bart for $125US plus $30 shipped in to Sumas, WA. It is in awesome shape, very slightly used....no tax/duty. Nice price for a $249US retail boom.

I also got a quote from Bart on a used Starboard Quad 81 2010 for $890US and a used Evo 80 2009 for $700US. Both boards were in great shape (he sent lots of pics) and they were the nice wood versions

Ship cost on the boards was $164US in to Sumas, WA which was including shipping the used boom with the board. Now all you guys convinced me to stick with my Freewave 86 this year so I didn't buy one but those are decent prices for Wood version Quad boards that were in pretty good shape.

Keith
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Of all the stores/shops I visited in Maui, KK and Second Wind had the best pricing and were most helpful :idea: KK's location is awesome of course, if I rented gear, that's the place I would do it from.

Bart was also one of two persons who responded (a couple of times!) to my "lost rig" email and expressed concern and support in that he would call me if anything turned up and gave me the info to contact the Parks Dept where it eventually turned up. :D
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
duckbill

rentals

Post by duckbill »

my wife and i are going in mid april for 2wks. Kanaha Kai sounds like friendly place to rent. Is it better to rent for the whole 2wks or just the days i'm sailing? I hope to sail almost every day but there are 4 people in our group and i may only get in a wk or 10 days of sailing. also any suggestions for renting a minivan and should i be renting it now? Any suggestions appreciated. thx.
like a duck to water
duckbill

Post by duckbill »

also, is there much difference for an intermediate sailor such as myself between the ka, ezzy sails, jp and fanatic boards and the starboards and hotsails?
like a duck to water
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

duckbill wrote:also, is there much difference for an intermediate sailor such as myself between the ka, ezzy sails, jp and fanatic boards and the starboards and hotsails?
No, all will be good choices and will have something that will work well for you!
Poultry in motion
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

just do the math of how many days you 'think' you might sail @ $50 vs the cost of a whole 2 weeks. keep in mind you can take 20% off if you book in advance plus you have access to surfboards and standup boards on non-sailing days. you break even at about 9 days.
i got a 'older' minivan from mauivans/aloha (now the same outfit) and it was great. 200 a week. you should call soon though.
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

AND - if you already have the gear rental :wink: and it's windy then you really, really should use it :roll: so booking might be a good idea - besides, it is very easy to sneak out for a couple hours in between other activities.

October is looking better and better!!
We windsurf - life must be good!