If you could live anywhere?

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

If you could live anywhere?

Post by Joostio »

Where do you think is the best place to live if you wanted to sail and surf tonnes? I suspect many will say Maui but I was wondering about other places too. Lets see what ya got. Things to take into consideration are, surf conditions and windy days per year.
AC

West Oz

Post by AC »

Minimum wage in Western Australia is 25$ an hour, easy to get cash jobs,
most consistent place in the world for wind and waves.
Last edited by AC on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cj

Post by Cj »

Here in spring & summer, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Barbados or somewhere in the west indies during the winter. Wind and waves every day. Good Question, because this is only my opinion.
somebody said " go fly a kite".
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

WA?

My vote goes to Maui or Tahiti. But I think I'd get fed up with the constant heat, so I'd still prefer our 'seasons'.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Cape Town, South Africa-----You just need a wall around your property, armed security response, lots of cash and a guard dog.

Lots of good surf, wind and great climate.

If you prefer really warm water and tropical, then Durban, SA. Google either one. Both have consistant high quality surf breaks and good wind.

Both also have a bad crime situation--but then few places have everything.
Its all about the adventure and stoke!
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

I would have to go with CJ and say here for spring/summer.
For fall/winter I would have to head over to NZ. Similar wind to ours, just opposite seasons. Never more than 200km from the ocean. Can surf/kite east and west coast in a single day. Wellington is the windiest city in the world and a bargin at $.70CAN-$1NZ
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

travel

Post by Bobson »

I've been to a lot of different Countries in the world with rugby and for complete living/working/windsurfing it would be here or NZ but just for Windsurfing might be Bermuda or Tonga/Samoa lots of wind, warm water super friendly people and basically the place is a beach!
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

I am headed back to samoa for april/may for some work then some kiting. The water is warm and the wind is great, but like nanmoo said, the heat is murder! :evil: Especially when the wind dies down and there is no A/C(like most of samoa)
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I really liked Hood River last year. Seems like a nice small town, but with almost every business revolving around windsurfing and kiting. THen there is the wine, the fruit, the skiing, and waves not too far away. No good for winter sailing though.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I'm with MF4, can't go without snow and ice and somehow even the bitterly cold NE and some of the SE are amazing in their own finger numbing way :twisted: I love victoria/Van Isle, even Hood River is toooooo hot for me in summer and too cold in winter, great for a week or two but to live? I've been to a few places in my life and .....Ya got it good, Joostio. As good as it gets :!: If you had wind every day it would not be the same stoke, whereas good fishing, powder, kayak wild rivers, biking on paved roads and cool forest trails, in moderate temps with an ailing but still better than most places HealthCare and pension system......yeah, paradise on earth. Not much surfing I suppose but enough....i keep thinking about the north island, needs way more attention!!
Now if we can just avoid having international events drawing attention to this fact and driving our realestate and pricing through the roof, selling off our heritage lands.... :roll:
duckbill

place to live

Post by duckbill »

grant bay, north island, wind waves, sandy beach, seasons, quiet.....maybe too quiet.
like a duck to water
SMACK

Post by SMACK »

Home of the windmill. I never heard anyone mention days on the water per year? The Netherlands offers ten do..able months and 200 days.
???? any country want to up the bet?
Chase the day, not the dollar.