3%

Total votes: 33

bwd
Developer
Developer

Nitinaht and Cook Str webcam update

Post by bwd »

Hi All:

Vic and I spent yesterday and today running around trying to get the Nitinaht cam up and going. We have a perfect location for it and the camera/enclosure is purchased and ready to go. The Ditidaht Band Council is meeting tonight and they will decide if it will go ahead. They have to discuss issues such as bandwidth and security.

The Cook Street cam now has a new motorized zoom lens (6x) that can be controlled through the internet! At full zoom the water fills the entire frame. The problem is that the camera is not focusing properly at full zoom ](*,). So I'm leaving the zoom controls off the picture for now.

So there are a few things that need to be done before these cams are finished. Just so you know, it might take a few weeks since I think I'm heading to the Oregon Coast tomorrow (3 day outlook = 20-30 knots)... Sorry, I should stick around to finish stuff off but the waves and winds call.
thanks
dave
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Sail on dude!!!!! thanks for all the effort so far mahjor kudos to ya!
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
~ pimp hand ~

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

never enough wind cams =D>

[smilie=beer.gif]
morewind

Post by morewind »

Dave - you are the CAM MAN :!: We owe you big for this effort - have a great Gorge/Coast pilgrimage. [smilie=rauch08.gif] I'm jealous- would be wicked to join you, but you know my predicament this summer :cry: I'll look for your van on the Florence cam, if I can see it thru the spray and blowing sand :wink:
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Dave/Vic
Fantastic!!! Yee haaa.
Have a great Oregon trip - big waves, big winds!
Morley
graz

Cams

Post by graz »

How about looking in to getting cams at Nicola Lake and Rotary Beach in Kelowna. Who is your source for cams and internet bandwidth?

Have fun shreding!
~ pimp hand ~

Re: Cams

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

graz wrote:How about looking in to getting cams at Nicola Lake and Rotary Beach in Kelowna. Who is your source for cams and internet bandwidth?

Have fun shreding!
hey graz, why don't you approach that site( http://members.shaw.ca/morewind/firstpage.htm ) you already have there in kelowna? ...
btw, say hi to bernie for me would ya 8)
Last edited by ~ pimp hand ~ on Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
asscrack

Helllllllo Bernie

Post by asscrack »

:lol: Hello to Bernie,From me as well.Miss seeing your smiling face big guy. :roll: Would be good to hear from you. :D
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and Life is a beach
bwd
Developer
Developer

More cam news

Post by bwd »

I'm back in town after a great trip to the Gorge and Oregon coast. Here's the latest news on the cams:

The Cook Str cam will be down for a day or so while I fix the focusing issue.

While I was away I heard from Vic about the Nitinaht cam. Apparently the band is now going to set up there own camera. This is very dissappointing! :cry: I have already bought the camera and enclosure. I'm not sure when their cam will be up and running. Too bad we couldn't have worked something out. Thanks to Vic for all of his hard work in trying to get it going. Thanks also to Fred Sieber.

So now I have a high end webcam with enclosure sitting here with no place to put it. Any suggestions? Columbia Beach...

dave
~ pimp hand ~

Re: More cam news

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

bigwavedave wrote:I'm back in town after a great trip to the Gorge and Oregon coast. Here's the latest news on the cams:

The Cook Str cam will be down for a day or so while I fix the focusing issue.

While I was away I heard from Vic about the Nitinaht cam. Apparently the band is now going to set up there own camera. This is very dissappointing! :cry: I have already bought the camera and enclosure. I'm not sure when their cam will be up and running. Too bad we couldn't have worked something out. Thanks to Vic for all of his hard work in trying to get it going. Thanks also to Fred Sieber.

So now I have a high end webcam with enclosure sitting here with no place to put it. Any suggestions? Columbia Beach...

dave
welcome back dave [smilie=beer.gif]

what a drag about the cam ... is the band gonna charge people to view there webcam :evil: ?

... anyhow ... Columbia sounds good, or maybe even willows, or goose spit, or willow point, or nimpkish etc. 8) ... or if all else fails, maybe those people from the interior will take it off your hands and set it up at nicola or someth'n
JL

Post by JL »

8) Fall/winter is just around the corner..How about giving the I-view location an upgrade. (Totally self centered user.) I could give the R.C.C. the link & they could track me!!
Thermals are good.
Kiterkliff

Extra Cam

Post by Kiterkliff »

Talk to the guys at the squamish wind society we have been looking into putting a cam there but didnt get to it this summer. They might want to get there hands on it.
loser guy

Post by loser guy »

would it be hard or expensive to set up a streaming cam at cook?
Russian Dood

streaming cam

Post by Russian Dood »

What for?
bwd
Developer
Developer

It is possible...

Post by bwd »

loser guy wrote:would it be hard or expensive to set up a streaming cam at cook?
Hey loser guy, good question:

The main issue with a streaming video cam is the bandwidth (lots of data to send). I looked into this for the Cook Cam, but it means that I would have to get special permission from Shaw to use streaming video and there would be time limits on viewing the image (maybe 1 minute per person). Also the image size would be smaller than what we have now (320x240 instead of 640x480) and the image quality would not be as good. It would also require a separate internet connection since it uses so much bandwidth - so I would have to pay for 2 internet connections (one for the cam, one for the person hosting the cam).

It is always a trade off with high frame rates and image quality. You can get great image quality, but then the file size is so high you can't do fast refreshes. The cam we have now is a good trade off I think - good image quality and updates at 15 sec. Not bad. I could change the image size to 320x240, then we could get refreshes at about 5 seconds, but 640x480 is kinda nice to see details on the water.

dave