A Zig then a Zag, then another Zig?

A place to discuss anything non-weather and non-wind/kitesurf related. Generally unmoderated, but rules are enforced on occasion => you can get suspended or kicked out and messages can get deleted.
IslandSoulmann

A Zig then a Zag, then another Zig?

Post by IslandSoulmann »

:!: I like watching the Dallas road cam, I get to see all kinds of waterborn action there from sailboards to huge freighters and barges... I am wondering why it is the larger ships all take a hard turn at the same point, then cut across the strait, then hard cut back again...

:?: Is there a nasty reef situation out there? I am more used to navigating up around east sooke, crab shack, race rocks, that kinda thing, so this area is unfamiliar to me...

Cheers 8)
IslandSoulmann
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

The shipping lane wraps around constance bank, then back around race rocks but I don't think that is quite what you are describing.

Don't forget to bring a towel!
IslandSoulmann

Post by IslandSoulmann »

CHeers Nanmoo
Seems they cut over just around Oak Bay rocks, then cut back again around the border banks area... is very pronounced, if you watch a ship go by the Dallas Road webcam... I used to watch it happen from Albert Head Lagoon, and thought that I would have to come up here to see what it was.. but I am still wondering, especially now that I see the nav map ...
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

it's because of the Constance craving. 8)