Pipers

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
snapper

Pipers

Post by snapper »

Has anyone kited at Pipers in Nanaimo? If yes did you have a good section? Just starting out and would like some advance on the spot.

Thanks
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Have sailed there once and also watched a few kite as well (no gear with me at the time :( ). I thoroughly enjoyed my sail, although I was slightly underpowered on my 16m kite.
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
~ pimp hand ~

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

i'm not a kiter, but have sailed there many times ... i'm guessing it could be a bit of a challenge due to the 2 or 3 gusts/rotors that you have to hitch a ride on to get to the clean wind outside (on a N.W.) ... other than that, the place is da 8) kine ... unusually warm water, sandy beach, grassy rigging, consession stand, etc... but you must know this being from naniamo :roll:
2 dog mark

riding pipers

Post by 2 dog mark »

if you are a beginer and are not upwinding maybe not a good place to learn . you mostly ride there on a south east and this wind is onshore be careful.
~ pimp hand ~

Re: riding pipers

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

2 dog mark wrote:if you are a beginer and are not upwinding maybe not a good place to learn . you mostly ride there on a south east and this wind is onshore be careful.
huh :shock: are you on glue ? ... go to Columbia on the SE :!:

the NW is hella fun at pipers!
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Glue

Post by Bobson »

Finally someone has some extra glue, dudes, I've been needing more glue fumes to stoke the fire.........got milk...??..got wind...?? DOODS!! :D
snapper

Post by snapper »

Thanks for the tips guys. Maybe the web cam should go here! Is it a gusty place??
Stephen

Gusty?

Post by Stephen »

It is definately gusty on the inside, but once you get around the point you get solid wind. The wind is also a bit faster at the point than out in the strait due to the wrap around affect of the point. There is also a light house slightly down wind you want to be aware of with your kite lines.

I've windsurfed there twice and had great sessions. There is also a nice sandy beach if you go at low tide.
~ pimp hand ~

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

do you people read ?? ... i covered just about everything in my 1st post in this thread(except the lighthouse thing, which is NOT actually a HOUSE, but a navigation light on a rock) ... i said it was gusty, i said it was cleaner outside, i said there was sand :? WTF ???

i guess since i started my thread by saying "i'm not a kiter" it probably didn't get read by kiters :?

*** note *** NW blows best in the A.M.
snapper

Post by snapper »

I must of be on glue at the time when reading that one. Is there anyone in Nanaimo that kites? :lol:
beer

Post by beer »

pipers pale ale is good!!!!!!!

more beer and wind please
snapper

Post by snapper »

Now you've got me thinking of beer and wind. Is it quitting time?????? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
chewy

Post by chewy »

Snapper, winds supposed to be NW 15-20 sat afternoon and out look of moderate to strong NW. If this is so I will either be a Pipers or Oar Rd this weekend, till then it is nw officially beer time.
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

I would be leary of kiting there on the NW myself since it is offshore. If anything goes wrong you could become ferry propeler food if you drift down into Departure Bay.

I saw someone kiting there on a SE on Monday right in the lagoon. Was blowing about 15, the persone was probably a newbie on a 12ish m orange Naish. I'm definitely going to try that out too - unreal flat water, but likely not a spot for newbies, too constricted.

Hey Chewy and Snappy, PM me or email me when you are going out for a session. I kite solo around here and wouldn't mind some compadres at the beach if you know what I mean.

PS Columbia Beach was 12m on Saturday mid-day to 3.
Signature Block.
~ pimp hand ~

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

Mattdog wrote:I would be leary of kiting there on the NW myself since it is offshore. If anything goes wrong you could become ferry propeler food if you drift down into Departure Bay.
more like 'side-off' or 'slightly' off-shore ... but whatever :?