Support our friend, Kite Kook.

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Support our friend, Kite Kook.

Post by winddoctor »

As many of you are aware from the Great Strides fundraising we did last year, our very good wind junkie friend Paul Underhill (aka KiteKook) has a genetically fatal disease called cystic fibrosis. Paul is one of the original kiters in Victoria and up until 2 years ago, kite boarded with much passion and stoke.

Unfortunately the health of Paul's lungs are rapidly declining to the point where he requires a double lung transplant. Last week he was transferred to a Toronto hospital in the hopes of increasing the odds of receiving a new pair of (donor) lungs as soon as possible.

As you might imagine, this is a very intense and uncertain time for Paul and his wife, Sandra. Paul will need all of our good vibes, prayers and supportive words while he is away. A website (www.paulneedslungs.com) has been created to help his dear community of friends and family offer much needed emotional and financial support. There is a blog where you can post messages of encouragement and stoke, and there is the option to make a donation via Paypal as well (their expenses while in Toronto are significant).

April 17-25 is Organ Donor Awareness Week, the importance of which hits home when it affects someone you know and love. Many people are under the impression that they are registered to be organ donors, but often they're not (it is no longer on your driver’s license or Care Card). The biggest way that people can help others waiting for a transplant is to type in their Care Card number and check their registration status NOW at: www.transplant.bc.ca. Only 18% of people in BC are registered for organ donation. Registering could literally save someone's life.

Our wind community has been such an incredible part of Paul's life. Despite the seriousness of his illness, Paul is one of the most positive and light hearted people we know. Next time you have a great session, consider sending him a little bit of that stoke!

Thanks for your support!
Chris & Steph
Poultry in motion
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Thanks Chris and Steph for the reminders and links. I just checked my doner status - apparently I'd re-applied from the old driver's license version five years ago. Cummon the other 82% - Lets make BWD webusers 100% :!:
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Donation made, wish I could do more :? Let us support our fellow windrider.
We miss you on the water and at the beach. All the best to you Paul! :!:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Sandy Beach

sending positive healing energy to Kite Kook in TO

Post by Sandy Beach »

Chris and Steph, Thank-you for sharing this informative post and links to Paul's site and the BC Transplant link on the first day of Organ Donor Awareness week.
This is an important heartfelt cause, and as a wind community, hope we can all support Kite Kook and his family during this critical time, plus ensure you have checked your donation status which may help many other's in need of vital organs.
Thanks, Winddoc for guiding us and making it more easy to check.
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
Cj

Post by Cj »

Good luck KiteKook. We miss your Kook st OSR's, get home soon.

CJ
somebody said " go fly a kite".
spinetingler

Post by spinetingler »

Good luck Paul on your travels to find new lungs! I spent a fair bit of time in Toronto over the last three years, and seemed there were good quality lungs all over the place. That being said, I expect this to be a short trip, and look forward to having you back here soon! I am stoked to see and hear you jumping and screaming off Cook St, and ideally rail sliding on Rudy. All the best to you and Sandra! Cheers.
Simon.
Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Paul and Sandra, thinking of you both in the chilly East, brrr. We miss you here and want you back home and healthy as soon as possible. Tight lines, warm winds and safe seas. Hugs Debs, Robby and Darby
blackdogvan

Post by blackdogvan »

Unfortunately my timing into kiting was as Paul was becoming a more rare sight on the beach so I don't know him very well at all. I do however know Chris & Stephanie very well & have been listening to their concern for their friends Paul & Sandra since Paul's condition started deteriorating. Hearing through them about Paul's struggle & watching their tireless dedication to a friend has taught me new things about friendship, community and a person's ability to stay strong & focused under overwhelming circumstances.

Keep the faith Paul. We'll see you at the beach soon.

Reuben
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

Paul's grace, attitude, courage, and personality became one of the top contributors to my recovery just under a year ago, and part of a lifelong debt to someone I actually knew very little, outside of IV/Cook. Will be paying it forward forever and returning positive energy for you Paul and all your family.

All the best man!
Geoff
We windsurf - life must be good!
Kite Kook

Post by Kite Kook »

Wow! Thanks guys for the wonderful words of support and encouragement! I honestly don't know what I have done to deserve such treatment, but we surely welcome it. :)

It seriously makes a huge difference, so thank you Chris and Steph and all of you for everything! I look forward to feeling that blessed westerly on my face once again. In the meantime, please enjoy the wind for me!
Cheers from Toronto,
Paul
Vive et Ama
jellyfish
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by jellyfish »

Paul and Sandra.... Sending you some postive energy to support your spirits and a donation to help with the other tangible things!
kitesurfrudy

Post by kitesurfrudy »

Paul, sending all my positive vibes and thoughts for some new lungs soon. Can't wait to see u on the water one day again but no Rudy board slides. all are love Rudy, Paulette and Cassidy
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

the moment has arrived!!!

Post by winddoctor »

We just posted this news on the blog and wanted to share via the forum as well. We will keep updating the blog as news arrives, so please check www.paulneedslungs.com for all further updates.

Paul via the telephone: "Are you sitting down? I just got the call!"

Paul has just been told that he has a match for new lungs and they'll be transporting him to St Mike's as this is being typed to be prepped for surgery!

At this time, the lungs are being assessed and there is always a possibility of a false alarm. We will post more news as soon as we hear from Sandra (in 4-5 hrs time approx).

Please send Paul all of your collective prayers, thoughts and energy!

Go Paul, Go! :D
Poultry in motion
Johnnyman

Post by Johnnyman »

Awsome news fingers crossed that everything is a go.
jellyfish
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by jellyfish »

Great news 8)
GO PAUL GO!
Thanks Chris and Steph for the updates.