rookie spots

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Swissmatt

rookie spots

Post by Swissmatt »

heya .. tried to find a list of kitesurfing spots in Victoria area, that are suitable for beginners .. am worried that once thermal winds at Nitty cease to exist, there won't be a place for me to surf ?? :shock:

Dallas Rd. apparently is a no go (as from what i could observe myself) for people not 100% comfortable with upwind surfing etc. .. any other suggestions?

Tips would be highly appreciated! :D
* Just do it!*
Swissmatt

are you all lost for words?

Post by Swissmatt »

holy .. the lack of answers to my question really makes me wonder .. are you guys insinuating there are no good spots around Victoria??

come on!!!! :?

:cry:
* Just do it!*
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

okay rookie....

Post by Bobson »

Not a lack of places, just tough to tell how ROOKIE you are....I think in the summer and early fall Island View beach is one of the best places for light on/side shore wind with a spit to catch you if you get too far downwind. So it is the best on a SE or even Easterly, usually pretty steady and fairly light most of the afternoon/early evening. A bit of tide at IV beach sometimes so be weary of the outgoing tide too. It has grassy riggin' area and mostly sandy beach and mostly shallow waters out 100 meters with a sandbar out 100 at lower tides. Jimmy Lewis(JL) knows this beach like the back of his butt so if you have questions you can direct them to him. He'll know best. :idea: The last little while it has been pretty flat though so just watch the forcast for Haro Strait and keep an eye on the IV web cam(on this site) and watch Kelp Reef/Vic Airport for wind speed and use 70% Kelp rf and 30% Airport.

How's that Rookie...?? Better get up to Nitnat in the next month or so as there is nothing better than the NAT with steady winds and lots of people for helping. Also, if you see a big fat guy with a saggy butt sitting on the beach looking thirsty, offer him a beer as I'm probably out...HA! :D

GOOD LUCK!
Swissmatt

right on .

Post by Swissmatt »

.. thanks Bobson, knew there must be something out there .. I'll head up this weekend and will for sure try to get a few more sessions in b4 it shuts down ..

thanks for the info, see you on the weekend ..
Mathis
* Just do it!*