going to Kamloops, any good spots?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Swissmatt

going to Kamloops, any good spots?

Post by Swissmatt »

hey, heading to Kamloops for the weekend and was wondering if anybody knows of any lake that has good beginner spots? Info re. the latter would be highly appreciated!!

:D

Mathis
* Just do it!*
~ pimp hand ~

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

nicola 8) have fun in the warm wind/water
Swissmatt

Post by Swissmatt »

Nicola Lake, huh? Any good for beginners though? Friendly downwind beach etc.? Anything I need to know about beach access etc.?

thanks! :D
* Just do it!*
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Depends on if you are on an old longboard, a new beginner board like a Start, or a beginner short board. Best wind is Nicola and Stump, occasionally Thompson River. Stump Lake, just N of Nicola, a little less wind and lower chop than Nicola, good if Nicola is too hairy for you, like 2 foot whitecaps and long streaks of thick foam. Used to be great access/fine sandy beach at old mine site on E side of Stump Lake, accessed from S end - don't know if thats still open to the public. Thompson Rivers (Thompson, N. Thompson, S. Thompson) can be good with big standing waves, but its not for beginners. Almost any of the hundreds of lakes in the area --eg Hefley near Sun Peaks -- will get you some big board TOW, often gusty which makes it fun to try and plane before the wind switches direction and dumps you or it dies and dumps you. Little Shuswap and Shuswap lakes about as far to drive as Nicola, usually light wind, can be some fun frontal/t.storm winds. Some nice long sandy beaches at gov't/IR campgrounds.
Swissmatt

Post by Swissmatt »

I ride an OR Outlaw 142 .. guess that doesn't qualify as a longboard :D
Will probably try Nicola .. lots o'fun to be had ..
thanks
Mathis
* Just do it!*
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

:oops: Do-oh! Forgot about kiters. I would think Stump could still work for you - the old highway runs all along the west side and if you had someone driving you could launch near the south end and get picked up at the north -- I think. Do really long downwinders with a bit of a safety valve having the highway right there. You'd have to have someone catch the kite though, it would be rocky shoreline with the highway right above, but check it out!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Merrit

Post by KUS »

main nicola launch by road just b4 sailing club heading northeast, good kiting near quilchena beach I imagine, past golfcourse,watch road and powerline across road though, not so great for boarding as wind lighter;

stump can get better wind than Nicola too and has 3 areas for launch, you pick.

I have seen both lakes just lit right up or instantly die so careful. Stump has more safe launches and a great end-of-lake beach at the new estate place near the B&B, can't miss it. :P
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Swissmatt

Post by Swissmatt »

sounds great .. I think I'm gonna try Stump then .. safe launches and especially friendly beaches downwind sound amazingly convincing to me!! :D

thanks!
* Just do it!*