snow kiteboarding

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Trav

snow kiteboarding

Post by Trav »

As snow is falling here and there I'm beginning to grow stoked. stoked at the idea of snow kiteboarding. However I am drawing a blank as to where there would be lots of room to learn and then enjoy. Any ideas ? I'm just flying my trainer, (still gaining confidence). Also any advice on learning would be awesome.
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
Ed

Post by Ed »

It's called snowkiting KOOK
Sandy Beach

snowkiting

Post by Sandy Beach »

comeon over the hump to Pt Alberni, we have lots of snow covered fields to play in :) May warm up and melt all away soon tho!
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
paulie_aus

Post by paulie_aus »

I'm going to try maple lake And wolf lake this year when they freeze over, also afew other ones on the way up mount Washington look good, thinking of flying a 10m park, also big feld at tsolum near black creek that gets some snow now and again. Havnt tried it yet though so check it all out b4 u launch
Nimai

Post by Nimai »

I wouldn't be surprised if you could get away with it at one of the schools here, or at the Parksville beach. Long as there aren't any kids around... and look out for trees!
I've been thinking about it too, as I've just taken it up as well. Be sure to use a smaller kite than you would on water, though. Less resistance!

Sandy- Whereabouts could I go out in Port?
Trav

Post by Trav »

Thanks for the HELPFUL comments, I can think of a number of places but I am unsure of how much snow is to much. I doubt my 3.5 will not pull me out of knee deep powder. I would like to hit the field on church rd. in Parksville but not the best idea with the high tension wires cutting through.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Uh yeah... this all sounds like a real good idea for you newbies.

You may wish to peruse the net and past threads on this recurring theme every time someone sees a snowflake.... in particular the part about water being a lot more forgiving than snow, ice, roads and obstacles :roll:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Sandy Beach

wide open fields in PA

Post by Sandy Beach »

Sandy- Whereabouts could I go out in Port?[/quote]

Hey Nimai.

There's 6 elementary schools here, plus middle school and a highschool, with lots of other parks, so, many fields to choose from, all within a few minutes of driving around exploring. We found Maquinna, 8th Avenue and Wood schools fields satisfactory for flying trainers and likely a bit of a run for snowkiting, while you are learning. There's some snow here now, but likely gonna melt and not a great base at the moment.

Good luck with your snowkiting search.
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
Trav

Post by Trav »

As a well seasoned snowboarder I'm fully understanding of the unforgiving nature of all things snow related. I appreciate the concern (to a degree) and not to sound like a jerk, but if I am going to have to put up with "Legends" tearing down, then maybe this is not the place for someone new trying to learn and do it right. So to all that are new like me maybe we should just wander off on our own until we have earned enough respect to even pose a simple question.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

The vital few have always had the ability to ruin a good thing for everyone else.

In addition, it's cool that you are so stoked you can't wait for a sunny summer day to learn the sport but to maim yourself before you get there is not advisable......Just one guy's opinion mind you, everyone's got one like you know....

Seasoned snowboarder or not, WTF does that have to do with it?? I'm a seasoned umbrella user, so I think I'll try to go skydiving without instruction
:roll:

I may not sound like I have your interest at heart so maybe check this: http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=307
Last edited by KUS on Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
SMACK

Post by SMACK »

Piggot Creek hill opposite the blue chair on Mt Wash.....Need a snow machine.

:arrow:
Chase the day, not the dollar.
SMACK

Post by SMACK »

So true Kus..I ride a dead kiters board on the water on ocasion, but he did'nt become dead riding on water. I also had messed myself up on land.
Good luck self teaching....most make it through the learning curve and some just get curved. :wink:
Chase the day, not the dollar.
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

Self teaching is a recipe for disaster... especially during these wicked frontals... it may be easier to learn to snow kite... but trees, rocks and hard ground are much less forgiving than water :?
If the experienced kiters are not snowkiting here then why would beginners be doing it :roll:
I love the stoke but, if you are truly
trying to learn and do it right
then wait until summertime and take some professional lessons. Or you can go to a place where people do snowkite and take a lesson there. As far as I know we do not have too many wide open snow covered fields receiving consistent wind around here... otherwise somebody would be on it 8)
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Trav, lots of time/research have been done to find a snowkiting spot on south island, I should have posted earlier so no misundurstanding would happened. Sorry for my laziness. None of the people above disrespect you, its the oposite, they are happy that u come here for help. I know Kus had a big smile on his face when he wrote his first post. He meant that if u searched "snowkiting" in the forum you would find info on it, and he does care for your health. (would be very scare of his second post though, this guy is very violent, mad man and very anti social). Lol, u should come to the found raiser eent and meet everyone, you wont regret it, you'll see everyone is friendly. Will post the snowkiting info tonight and more whys it is not worth, but now i have to go get Jinx at Agate or IV. Ttyl Ian
Trav

Post by Trav »

I apologize for the slight outburst of frustration. I know that you guys are more knowledgeable and experienced than I. I am not saying that a lesson isn't a helpful thing, please don't get that wrong. I ask, however, how many of you self taught yourself on something that wrecks or kills many.
I have gathered observational knowledge that many people in sports like these, (to be honest sometimes even me.) may take a lesson or two then just do what they want or works for them anyway. I am by no means condoning that. I understand the dangers of self teaching, I am not a child nor do I think like one. I do take lessons but they tend towards intermediate.
I guess my blanket disclaimer is I am (for the most part, not in all) a self taught personality, Not all people are. I know my limitations, and will rarely push to them. I am one who learned this the hard way so let me say it loud KNOW YOUR LIMITS!
If we keep that in mind and stay honest to our limits then I know injuries will decrease in any sport.
To new guys like me be 100% honest with yourselves about your learning curve.
And as far as the original topic there are many fields that all you need to do is ask. I know this from hunting. If one gets out there before the snow fly's then you can scope it first.