Wetsuit thickness summer / winter

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
abetanzo

Wetsuit thickness summer / winter

Post by abetanzo »

Hi just wondering what wetsuit thickness to get for summer kiting? thinking a 4/3 should do??
I already have a dive / snorkel geared Pinnicale semi dry Merino lined 7mm wetsuit which I will most likely use in the winter.
Last edited by abetanzo on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ned

Post by Ned »

7mm merino suit?! I think that should be pretty warm... :)

4/3 will keep you plenty warm I should think. I wear a 4/3 in the ocean during the summer, but it's ancient and probably only as warm as a 3/2 at this point. For the most part that is warm enough, and I get cold easily.

Depending on your temperature tolerance and how late into the spring you are comfortable with that 7mm unit you may even want to go 3/2. Depends how much time you spend in the ocean vs. Nitinaht.
Sandy Beach

Re: Wetsuit thickness summer / winter

Post by Sandy Beach »

abetanzo wrote:Hi just wondering what wetsuit thickness to get for summer kiting? thinking a 4/3 should do??
I already have a dive / snorkel geared Pinnicale semi dry Mernino lined 7mm wetsuit which I will most likely use in the winter.
Abetanzo, If you venture over the hump to the central hot spot valley of Vancouver Island, Port Alberni (just 45 minutes west of Parksville), the Alberni inlet water boasts the warmest ocean temperatures for kiting on the island.

Many of our local kiters and windsurfers can play in just their bathing suits, rashies and/or shorties for the summer hot months.
Not to mention the predictable, strong, consistent thermal winds and controlled kite launch and landing from our day use park's pier, formerly known as Wild West Watersports.

Lots of exciting events in the works for this summer on the waterfront in Port Alberni, 2012 (centennial year for the town).

Mark my words, PA has similar characteristics to Squamish and Hood River over a decade ago, and we will see huge transitions over the next few years of this 'town in transition' from heavy industry to more recreational/tourism based.

Check out the <a href="/http://www.bigwavedave.ca/webcams.php?cam=11 " target="_blank"> Pt Alberni Harbour Quay webcam </a> to track wind/weather conditions as the season starts to approach, now that it's the first day of spring :)

Thank-you, BWD for this invaluable resource (webcam and weather meter).
More information to come!
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
Vik

Re: Wetsuit thickness summer / winter

Post by Vik »

abetanzo wrote:Hi just wondering what wetsuit thickness to get for summer kiting? thinking a 4/3 should do??
That should be fine for summer use. The suit I run the most is 5/4/3 with 3/4 legs and it's a bit loose so not as warm as it could be.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

Thanks all... that 7mm is really geared to cleaning the bottom of a boat and some recreational diving / snorkelling. But was thinking in the winter it would be nice to have an extra layer and thickness with hopefully some movement!!
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

PA is the girlfriends hometown and the kiting seems to be kicking into high gear there so will definetly get there for some summer kiting for sure..
voodmon
Website Donor
Website Donor

wetsuits

Post by voodmon »

For Juan de Fuca strait a 5/3 preferably hooded, the water temp is only about 1 degree warmer in summer a balmy 9 "C or so and gordons can be 10"C air temp in summer when the fog rolls in, always better to be too warm than cold, a 3/2 would work for nitinat, but I wouldn't waste my money on a 4/3 for the straits. Personally I wear a smoothskin hooded 6/4 in winter and a regular nylon 2 version of the same 6/4 in summer. The point to always remember is.. that if you break down and are in the water swimming for any length of time without a hood or thick enough suit you will become hypothermic very quickly 15 mins or sooner and then you die! :twisted:
Surfing outside of Platos cave, searching for Blue Skies.
Vik

Re: wetsuits

Post by Vik »

voodmon wrote:that if you break down and are in the water swimming for any length of time without a hood or thick enough suit you will become hypothermic very quickly 15 mins or sooner and then you die! :twisted:
Regardless of what wetsuit you wear it's good advice not to ride away from shore farther than you want to swim and don't hesitate to eject all your gear and swim as fast as possible if need be.

You can always buy new gear.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

sounds about right. Once really warm weather hits, Nitinat, Port Alberni, Pipers, San Pariel, etc can be sailed in a shorty.

[edit] how did this go from being the first reply to about 20th when I hit 'submit'?? Got interrupted by damn work!! Voodoo is right about staying warm at Cook or Gordos though.