Chiropractor

A place to discuss anything non-weather and non-wind/kitesurf related. Generally unmoderated, but rules are enforced on occasion => you can get suspended or kicked out and messages can get deleted.
JasonD

Chiropractor

Post by JasonD »

I'm looking for a chiropractor who is a wind/kite surfer or surfer. My lower back is acting up again after each session and I'd like to get treatment from someone who knows/understands what the back goes through when doing these activities.

thanks!
Jason
p.s. If anybody thinks another form of therapy is a better option, by all means, please give your opinion!!
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

Dr Murray (Murray Chiropractic on Chatterton by Quadra & the Highway) is pretty darn good for a lot of issues, though generally its a come in and crack your back or whatever every couple weeks. I don't know if he has any kite-specific knowledge, but he does quite a bit of work with athletes (ie th canadian rowing team, a sport that can be exceptionally hard on the lower back).
He might be good place to go to cure the symptoms, but you may be better off seeing an athletic therapist or physio for some strengthening/conditioning exercises for preventative measures (there used to be one in Murray's office, don't know if there is anymore).

If you don't have any more luck on here, my friend is a couple weeks away from completing the athletic therapy program, so she may have some local contacts worth looking into.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Simon Pearson @ James Bay Chiropractic. Simon is a windsurfer.

Dr. Murray is pretty good and knows his stuff. Yeah I'd agree he's more of a quick fix guy. He's sees a lot of patients /hour and will only spend about 8 minutes with you. It will usually fix things temporarily and there will likely be no discussion about what caused the initial problem and how to prevent it from happening again. I wasn't too impressed with him but I know some people really like him. If I'm spending $60+ I want someones attention for at least 30 minutes.

I would also recommend seeing a good physio and getting some core exercises to do for long term back health. My back responded well to IMS, which is kind of like aggressive acupuncture. SUP also helps my core and keeps my back happy...so far.

Dave
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
Vik

Post by Vik »

My friend Sean Renshaw is an excellent chiro. He's learning to kite and does loads of other sports. He's treated a few of my kiter friends and they'll come back singing his praises.

Dr. Sean Renshaw - 778.433.0669

He's in Oak Bay and can see you at his home for a reduced rate or at his office if you have a health plan to run things through.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com